News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Mev exocet lightweight build

Started by Quantum owner, 04, March, 2012, 05:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantum owner

Didn't manage to do as much as i wanted due to my drill dieing on me while drilling the holes for the seats so that will have to wait till next week.

However made some more progress on it, drilled a hole for the battery cable and secured the rear bulkhead panel

As im using the ally fuel tank instead of the mx5 tank it will be positioned behind the passenger seat so placed it roughly in place mark the holes and put a bolt up through and used a nut to tighten it down like this

so i can fit the fuel tank over it and using another nut to tighten it down so if i want to remove the tank in future i don't have to get under it and hold the bolt

Next on the list of things to do mount the mx5 runners to the seat an easy job but time consuming to get the runners sliding without hitting the bottom of the seat 3 washers between the seat and runner clears it with just enough room, i also had to drill 2 new holes as the original holes in the runner don't line up

Also started on bonding one of the rear arches on to the wing stays but will do a detailed post on that next weekend.

Quantum owner

Another update rather cold so didn't spend to long on it but managed to  get a few jobs done.

So first job was to swap all the nuts to lock nuts, raise the coilovers up to actually get it out of the garage and cut the excess bolt sticking out of the front subframe to floor to give an extra bit of cleareness.

So with new drill and drill bits (dewalt drill bits are a must so good 60 quid and well worth the price) finished drilling the holes for the seat one hole did end up going through the rivet holding the floor on so one for the future drill holes for seats before putting the floor on.

2 washers underneath each hole levels everything up for me anyway

Went down to halfords to get a battery clamp set only 3 quid with a trade card, so bolted down 2 brakets

had to extended the threads on the bars and cut them down and cut the top bracket down to fit

So for the first time since july the kit moved outside of the garage just mind you so some pics of my dad/ sister/ my mate simon and me in the car

fullpint

I was just thinking about this earlier today! When I saw one on Flea bay..
Nice to see you are still keeping with it mate.  8)

YellaBelly

Looking good mate! Like the idea with the fuel tank mounting, good bit of forward planning ;)

Won't be long now.....:)

'The Gaffer'

Excellent progress, car looks good 8)

Quantum owner

A little bit more done fitted the rear cycle wings and got the rear lights and front side lights working also making yet another route for the wiring to make it look better.

So i wasn't a fan of bonding the cycle wings on to the stays and wanted them to be removable so tried a few different methods and liked this one the most, so my father found  a pack of plastic clips that fit perfect over the wing stays and got a hole at the top for a bolt

covered the cycle wing with masking tape and on the tops of each plastic clips some paint which one the wing is fitted on top leaves a mark to find where i need to drill the holes

My body couldn't stand the cold any longer so thats it for today.

Quantum owner

So a new month and some more progress fitted the front cycle wings, transmission tunnel which doesn't really fit but with a bit of edging stuff and a rubber seal will do the job.

also made a dash and fitted the switches for the extra fan, hazard switch, fog, horn and after iva a starter button and kill switch style panel

I will cover it in carbon fibre rap before final fitment

Jobs are slowly being ticked of the list was going to fit the mirrors but not sure on best place for them anyone got a picture where they should go to pass the iva.

The final parts like fuel lines will be completed up my unit which has a 2 poster lift and has plenty of space for a test drive.

Quantum owner

Hi guys. Long time and by god have things changed. So to start with since the last post I have sold the quatum kit car to a guy down Cardiff unfortunately I have since heard it no longer exists and the parts were returned back in to an xr2.
Also in the last post I mentioned about my unit well that went so well within a year I had to move to a bigger place and since then everything gone mental in a good way.

Back to the exocet well 2013 didn't see much happen to it apart from a few things, 2014 started of with a similar vain after a few major personal issues the car didn't get use till late on in august into September where it made it first test on track at llandow in September, after a few early problems the day went well intill the engine started to over pressurise right at the end of the day.

So before it was stripped again I decided to burn out the rest of the tyres which resulting in 2 dead tyres and a rad in pieces.

Over the winter it has had an extensive list of work carried out which includes

mk2 1.8 mx5 engine
xtd light weight flywheel and 6 puck clutch
fast5 ally rad with silicone hoses and slim line rad
vernier cam pulleys
inlet to exhaust cam mod
head has been skimmed 50 thou with valves reground
ss exhaust manifold
and cbr 900 itbs set up

Will update this thread with the bits over the last year or so. 

Moleman

It's good to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about the Quatum. I was wondering what ever happened to your project. Nice to see it's back on track.

Iancider

When the going gets tough the Kit Car Builder get going!

Well done for you persistence.  Could you be ready for another session at Llandow on the 16th May?  We will be there in force.

Regards
Ian