Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Combe Track day Sat 5th Dec

Started by Lucky Ed, 12, November, 2015, 09:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Lucky Ed

I've booked a day out with BHP @ Combe on Sat 5th Dec, along with bezer83, who has just bought Dave Bence's old car.

He's keen to try out his new toy, and I'm chomping at the bit to see how the engine rebuild has worked out, and check out some suspension mods that were done some time ago.

It's a bit of a gamble with the weather, but does anybody else fancy it?

Facial Hair Optional

Is BHP the ones you went with last time when it rained a lot Ed? Hopefully you will have better luck this time mate.

I'll most likely pop along for a gander even if I'm not going round myself.

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 12, November, 2015, 10:11:13 PM
Is BHP the ones you went with last time when it rained a lot Ed? Hopefully you will have better luck this time mate.

I'll most likely pop along for a gander even if I'm not going round myself.

No, last time it was Motorsport events, but the BHP days are very similar, well run and not too many cars.

Bring a helmet if you come ;)

Facial Hair Optional

I will thanks Ed, I'll pack some brave pills to shall I??  :o ;D

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 13, November, 2015, 01:35:45 PM
I will thanks Ed, I'll pack some brave pills to shall I??  :o ;D

.....and spare drawers ;D

Moleman

I will see a bit closer to the time mate.  :)

Moleman

I might do a last minute booking depending on the weather. If not I will pop along to give support mate.  :)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Moleman on 18, November, 2015, 07:30:36 PM
I might do a last minute booking depending on the weather. If not I will pop along to give support mate.  :)

Probably see you in the cafe then ............ but then again I might be 'Lucky' ;)

Gary RH7

Might pop along for support for an hour or so as it is just up the road.

Lucky Ed

I've just looked at the entry list for the day, it looks pretty full and there's even a supercharged Range Rover Sport signed up - now that could be interesting :o

sanzomat

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 19, November, 2015, 09:55:45 PM
I've just looked at the entry list for the day, it looks pretty full and there's even a supercharged Range Rover Sport signed up - now that could be interesting :o

Don't go round the outside of it, you might get door handle marks on your car, or even roof rails...

Iancider

Agree with that - take it on the inside - if you get my Drift!

robp

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 12, November, 2015, 09:47:38 PM

It's a bit of a gamble with the weather...........

Yep  :( :( :(

Hopefully things change by the weekend.

Lucky Ed

The weather looks really crap for Saturday, but at least it's good practice at being smooth and it will also be good for taking it easy on the new upgraded engine. I've started looking at some racing wets to make the best of these inclement days, but I need to find some cheapo 13" alloys to stick them on, I'll probably have to go for some old 6" Revolutions if they'll fit my car (I might need to borrow a couple from you VFC guys over the winter to see how they look)

I'm still going with Jamie so he can try out his new toy, and we've got a few peeps coming from the club. I might be looking for a nice bit of ballast if you're still coming FHO ;)

Moleman

Lucky Ed

Thanks Col, chuck one in the van sometime, especially if you coming over to get some gear for the little ones ;) ;) ;)

Don't think I'll be bringing any 'gear' tomorrow night as it's going to rain - again :(

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 02, December, 2015, 08:34:57 PM
The weather looks really crap for Saturday, but at least it's good practice at being smooth and it will also be good for taking it easy on the new upgraded engine. I've started looking at some racing wets to make the best of these inclement days, but I need to find some cheapo 13" alloys to stick them on, I'll probably have to go for some old 6" Revolutions if they'll fit my car (I might need to borrow a couple from you VFC guys over the winter to see how they look)

I'm still going with Jamie so he can try out his new toy, and we've got a few peeps coming from the club. I might be looking for a nice bit of ballast if you're still coming FHO ;)
Ho flippin Ho!!! (well it is now December!) Yes I plan to be there to weigh you down and help you cut through the wet surface Ed (no charge for that ok) I always knew I'd come in handy at Combe one day!  ;)

Sadly as you say the weather aint looking great, they have been saying the same for Saturday all week - rain, lots and lots of rain. And wind, lots and lots of wind. I was gonna post but like you I am hoping it will change and didnt want to jinx it. Let's face it though, it ain't gonna change!  :(  I think the morning will be the best of the day if the forecast is accurate.

It'll be fun Ed!! I went round in the old hairdresser TT in the peeing wet and at 60mph on the bends it was a hoot!  :o

I'm glad to see the term VFC has really caught on too  8)

I was in a pub (rare occurence for me) Friday night saying goodbye to a very good mate who is emigrating to the USA. There were about 40 of us at least, all car/motorsport connected including rolling road John from JPR motorsport so I told him to keep his eyes open for you and your car Ed. He said he'll make sure he's closed the day you want to come cos your car is not yellow enough!!  :P :P :P

sanzomat

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 02, December, 2015, 09:30:08 PM
if you coming over to get some gear for the little ones ;) ;) ;)

Is there some more surprise news on the domestic front from Colin then?

Moleman

Quote from: sanzomat on 03, December, 2015, 08:39:15 AM

Four little bunny's mate.  No sorry three little ones & one massive one.

Facial Hair Optional

I thought he was talking about underpants!!!!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 03, December, 2015, 03:11:44 PM

Four little bunny's mate.  No sorry three little ones & one massive one.

He WAS talking about his underpants!!!!!  :P :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

What a great day this turned out to be!! DRYYYYYYYYY for once, not a drop of rain but SUPER windy which made it all the more fun on track.

It was great to see some of the BKCC lads, Lucky Ed, Dave Bence, bezer83, Camber Dave, GaryRH7 and one or two others who I forget the names of (old age - sorry) Plus I met my old mucker Steve K and his mates, so a few new friends made today.

Went round in Andy's 205 GTi driven by Steve K, huge fun, bit bouncy (Camber Dave will sort that out for him) and hairy at times. Also went round twice with Ed, must have done at least 20 laps maybe 30 even. His Mac1 didnt miss a beat by the feel of it and not only is he and the car very quick, he is very smooth too. I learned a lot on those laps from both drivers.

Bezer83's new car (Dave Bence's old one) went really well, a quick little machine indeed  8)

A big thanks to Ed and Steve for the lessons today, hopefully it will show next time I am on the track at Combe - cheers lads  8) 8) 8)

sanzomat

Glad you had a good day. Unbelievable turn around in the forecast. Must have had all the rain on Thursday evening!

CC Cyclone

I was listening to you all having fun while unpacking boxes in my garage... Finally moved house, misses kept asking what all the traffic noise was today.... :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 05, December, 2015, 04:40:22 PM
Glad you had a good day. Unbelievable turn around in the forecast. Must have had all the rain on Thursday evening!
It was a flipping miracle Dave.

Congrats on making Hero Member btw mate!!  8)

Lucky Ed

Had a fantastic day today, we got very lucky with the weather as it stayed dry but it was VERY windy, and the big gusts kept you on your toes. Dave Bence came along with Jamie to show him the ropes for his first full trackday with Dave's old car. Jamie got on really well and managed to fit in a bit of grass cutting and a couple of spins, one in front of me at Bobbies chicane - there was lots of tyre smoke from us both, but we avoided contact and Jamie had spare pants so all was well. FHO came for a few laps, which was handy as it pinned the car down a bit with the strong crosswinds ;)

It was my cars first outing since the engine upgrade, so I short shifted in the morning and then gave it some beans in the afternoon. It's defo quick and managed a full 200 miles on track today without opening the toolbox, which is a bit of a first for me 8)

All in all a great day out with some great banter from FHO, DaveB, Jamie(Bezer83), Lee, Gary and Camber Dave.

Facial Hair Optional

You must have done around 108 laps Ed!! I'm pretty sure I was in your car for around 25. I thought later that I should have timed you from the sidelines to see if your new build engine was any quicker than the old engine.

Jamie could have done with me in his car Ed, I have never seen a car so light at the back that you can pick it up - which Dave Bence actually did while I watched!!! I think it was only my extra weight that stopped you being blown off the track going flat along Hammerdown into Tower!

In fact the guys in the little 205 I went in stopped as I was leaving for the day as they had almost been blown off and deemed it a bit unsafe to continue I think. A crazy day!

I have to say though, that the whole time I was in Ed's car not once did I ever feel unsafe, he was always in total control. After a few laps it becomes a little bit Mesmerising in fact. You kind of go into a 'zone'. Only on the last 3 laps of each session did I start to feel a little queasy with all the wind buffeting and moving around in the cockpit. I am a terrible passenger but I loved that day - it was brill fun!

An excellent driver and car, I can recommend a trip with Ed around Combe as something you MUST do in 2016 guys  8)

Gary RH7

Didn't stay long as I had my young daughter with me and TBH I felt really rough. Flu jab....just a waste of time. Got home and sat with a bottle of whisky and a packet 0f sudafed. :'(
Thanks for the offer of a passenger ride Ed but just wasn't up to it.

Glad to see the engine is working fine and the day went well apart from the wind.

Lucky Ed

Thanks for your kind words FHO, I'll be round with your Xmas present soon ;)

I worked it out to 107 laps in total. The wind was crazy to the point it was as much as I could do to hold my head up against the crosswind at Folly. My neck muscles are like Arnie this morning, and are my forearms are pumped where I must have been hanging on a bit too tight :o

As well as being chuffed with the engine rebuild, the suspension tweeks advised by Camber Dave have worked out a treat. The new 500lb front springs and stiffer rear ARB, have allowed me to wind the dampers back, so the car is now less twitchy and is very compliant and now glides over the kerbs in the chicanes. Result 8)

Facial Hair Optional

Great result Ed, the car felt very well planted at all times. I did notice you letting go of the wheel to flex your hands and forearms at times.

The car sounded great, easy to hear you coming Ed with that deep rich sound you now have. I'm keen to know what the rolling roll shows the new power and torque figs to be too.

Moleman

Glad it all went well mate. I had a crap day & was unable to make it so I'm glad yours went well.  8)

Iancider

Sounds like I missed a great day!

I was working my way down "THE LIST" - the one that never ends!

Great result Ed!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 05, December, 2015, 10:02:42 PM
Had a fantastic day today, we got very lucky with the weather as it stayed dry but it was VERY windy, and the big gusts kept you on your toes. Dave Bence came along with Jamie to show him the ropes for his first full trackday with Dave's old car. Jamie got on really well and managed to fit in a bit of grass cutting and a couple of spins, one in front of me at Bobbies chicane - there was lots of tyre smoke from us both, but we avoided contact and Jamie had spare pants so all was well. FHO came for a few laps, which was handy as it pinned the car down a bit with the strong crosswinds ;)

It was my cars first outing since the engine upgrade, so I short shifted in the morning and then gave it some beans in the afternoon. It's defo quick and managed a full 200 miles on track today without opening the toolbox, which is a bit of a first for me 8)

All in all a great day out with some great banter from FHO, DaveB, Jamie(Bezer83), Lee, Gary and Camber Dave.

Nice one Ed, pleased all the hard work paid off 8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 05, December, 2015, 10:02:42 PM
FHO came for a few laps, which was handy as it pinned the car down a bit with the strong crosswinds ;)

Technically (as my 16 year old would say) I saved your life Ed - you owe me!! What do I get for Xmas??  ;D