News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Wrecked keyboard

Started by 'The Gaffer', 18, November, 2009, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

I seem to be getting a bit cheesed off with a few things lately ;D

This morning I was just about to have a look a the forum and spilt a drink all over my keyboard and desk ::) :o This completely wrecked my keyboard and left the PC making a horrible clicking sound.

Not to mention ruining a nearby pile of paperwork :'(

Anyway, a trip to the shops and one new keyboard later, I'm back in business ;D

Furore Phil

Err you didn't really need to get a new keyboard  :D at least they are dirt cheep

Electronics these days are very hardy, lots of warm soapy water and a good rinse should fix it. Just remember to dry it first ! a nice long slow dry in the airing  cupboard should do it.

I've heard of ipods & mobile phones surviving a trip through the washing machine. If you can remove the battery that really helps.

What really kills electronics is the dishwasher, too many corrosive chemicals.

The worst drink / computer accident I saw was when a coffee ended up down the insides of a CRT monitor ! Fizzing sound, bang, smoke and the entire floor loosing power ! lots of unhappy users.

'The Gaffer'

Your right Phil, after I'd been out shopping for a new keyboard and a few other things, a few hours later I had to plug the old drenched one in again because the new one I bought was a USB one and I have a BIOS password.

Strangely enough the old one worked again, but it was time for a change anyway, and my new one has card readers and multi media buttons which have already proved useful.

Blessing in disguise maybe, especially like you say for the price :)

paintman

I was told you can get away with spilling  a drink over your keyboard as long as it does not have sugar in it!! Don't think i'll try it thou. :D :D :P

Furore Phil

Yeah - if it's a sugary drink and you let it dry you end up with sticky keys !

Just rinse it with warm / hot water to dissolve the sugar and it should be fine.