+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

rear brake bias

Started by peterw, 30, October, 2010, 04:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterw

As i am just about to plum the rear brakes in on my 2B, i can't remember at what angle the standard Sierra rear bias unit sits at and which is in and out , can anyone help !!!!! :D
Pete

foggy

I have a Haynes Ford Sierra manual 1982-1993, which you can borrow if you want.

paintman

You can come and look at mine if that helps.

Tony

peterw

Tony, That sounds great ,when would be convenient? I home all week

pete

'Mendip Wurzel'

Peter, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the rear bias unit, me being stupid. You may have sorted by now however I'm not sure if these photos are any help.

YellaBelly

I think there is a unit that fits into the rear system brake kine and has a ball bearing or something inside which moves under braking and changes the pressure to the rear brakes?

JB

peterw

Yea that sounds like it, they call them a decelleration compensator or something, and depending on what angle its fitted at it changes the pressure to the rear brakes.
Pete

YellaBelly

Yup, that's the one :) ... not that it helps you much with your problem though :(

'Mendip Wurzel'

Aah, now I know what you mean. I don't have one of the bias things that you have to tilt to get the adjustment right. I have separate brake fliud cylinders for the front and back so I adjust things that way.

Just out of interest I didn't think you were allowed adjustable bias under the new IVA.   

YellaBelly

You can have a bias device fitted, but it must be 'non-adjustable' (i.e. welded or similar) for the IVA apparently.

paintman

Is this the item in question??

It is set at an angle.....Petes coming over to have a look on Sat. anyway.

Tony

peterw

Yes, thats the little blighter!!!
Pete :D

minijon

Both my cars have a bias valve fitted .
My road car a 1978GT had no bias valve fitted only a T piece to the rear subframe and I drove it like this for years  ::)       So this explained why my Mini always did a 180'degree rurn in sharp braking  :P
Anyway the owner of the most excellent and celubrious Mini parts shop Minimail at Newent sold  me his brake bias valve off his track car and now the car pulls up in a straight line ........ ;)
My Hustler had a brake overhaul some years ago and had the as then new huge bias valve fitted to the the front engine bay - non adjustable and superb .