News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Motor Sport From The Past.

Started by Denzle, 28, March, 2011, 09:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denzle

Having the Falcon Tested....

I was talking to an old friend at the garage the other day about having a marquee at the car show with some of my pictures from the past on view.

It  turned out he was a mechanic with one of the teams and took lots of his own pictures...  He offered to lend them to me so that I can copy and put them in show.

A few of the pictures are quite valuable, so the copys have to go back to him after, so .....(PLEASE).... dont copy them.

Just thought you might like to see just some of them....... ;)

Mike Hawthorne (Right and below.) The Great Juan Fangio (Centre)  Eric Brandon. (Left)

..Piero Taruffi.

Peter Collins.

Aston Martin DB 24 Con.
His own Aston Martin.

Richard Atwood.

Mario Andretti.

Mario Andretti.

Moss & Chapman.

Carlos Pace.

Evans.

Jim Clarke.

Graham Hill.

Mike Hailwood.

Bruce McClaren

Mario Andretti.  Ferrari.

Bruce McClaren.

Ferrari.

Mike Hailwood.  McClaron

Brabham Race Prep At Spar.  Clarke & Hills Cars.

Thats just a few.....To see all the others come to the Hampton Ferry Car Show on July 3rd and enjoy a day alongside the river with other motor enthusiasts.

Denzle..... :P

'The Gaffer'

Great pics Denz, love the really early ones - not a roll cage or harness in sight.

WALNUT

Some bril. pic s Thanks for shareing them with us.

Tony

Denzle

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 28, March, 2011, 09:56:32 PM
Great pics Denz, love the really early ones - not a roll cage or harness in sight.

No crash hats either.   Juan Fangio wore a cloth helmet with goggles and a short tea shirt, until rules come into it.... :o

Dont you just love the exhaust pipes.....Magic or what....Wish I could hear the tone from that...... ;)

Have you spotted Graham Hills small bottle of water... ;D

Denzle

In the relaxed days of Motor Racing....Recognise them... They dont do this now, its off the track and in the back as you could say...;)

For those who dont know....

From the left...Ayrton Senna...Alain Prost...Nigel Mansel...Nelson Piquet..
=================================================
How about this one then..... :o   Dont know them all myself.   Centre left is Jim Clarke.  He died in a horific crash hitting trees.   Graham Hill, centre right helped pick up all the bits along with other drivers.  To the right in front of Hill is the famous Jack Brabham....Who went on building cars himself.  One was he Brabham Repco.  What a motor...

Psymon

What can i say but Wow...great pics and some history there.

Simon  :D

Bulldog Bri

Fantastic pic's Denzel, thanks for sharing them.

8)

Krazyken

Great pics Denzle, I love any F1 pics with history.  That reminds me that I picked up on Ebay a framed pic of Wolfgang von Tripps in his Ferrari at the 1958 British GP.  There was a bit of water damage but for a £5 starting bid, I bid a fiver to see what would happen, no one else bid so I got the framed pic for a fiver.

I then took it to a local framers to have the water damage looked at, they took the back off and out dropped the certificate of authenticity from Jarrots.  The water damage was just a bit of condensation which wiped away without a trace and the framers resealed with modern tape and put in new hanging string as the old string was pretty rotten, they charged me £5 for this so my fully restored picture and frame now looked perfect and had cosy me a total of £10.  6 months later I was at Race Retro and Jarrots had a stand, I got talking to the guy about my pic and he asked me to take a pic and email across to him.  He emailed back to say that Jarrots had a fire in the early 60's so this particular pic was irreplaceable but if they were selling it today they would charge a minimum of £200.  He went on to say that as it is an irreplaceable original still in the original frame and glass to a Ferrari collector it could be worth considerably more.

It's a shame that there is no room any more to hang it in my office at home but when I win the lottery and get a larger pad it will stand pride of place in my collection.  Lucky or what, if only I could make a 2000% return on all my investments.

stupott901

yes i agree some very nice pictures there ijust love that era as well

Denzle

Quote from: Krazyken on 29, March, 2011, 08:56:48 PM
Great pics Denzle, I love any F1 pics with history.  That reminds me that I picked up on Ebay a framed pic of Wolfgang von Tripps in his Ferrari at the 1958 British GP.  There was a bit of water damage but for a £5 starting bid, I bid a fiver to see what would happen, no one else bid so I got the framed pic for a fiver.

I then took it to a local framers to have the water damage looked at, they took the back off and out dropped the certificate of authenticity from Jarrots.  The water damage was just a bit of condensation which wiped away without a trace and the framers resealed with modern tape and put in new hanging string as the old string was pretty rotten, they charged me £5 for this so my fully restored picture and frame now looked perfect and had cosy me a total of £10.  6 months later I was at Race Retro and Jarrots had a stand, I got talking to the guy about my pic and he asked me to take a pic and email across to him.  He emailed back to say that Jarrots had a fire in the early 60's so this particular pic was irreplaceable but if they were selling it today they would charge a minimum of £200.  He went on to say that as it is an irreplaceable original still in the original frame and glass to a Ferrari collector it could be worth considerably more.

It's a shame that there is no room any more to hang it in my office at home but when I win the lottery and get a larger pad it will stand pride of place in my collection.  Lucky or what, if only I could make a 2000% return on all my investments.

Fantastic....You just never know what some things are worth these days.  There seems to be collectors for almost every item, from a golf ball to a toilet brush..lol   ;D

stupott901

just finished watching gp the killer years from the other night on bbc 4 what a scary era to be a f1 driver and how drivers died thank god for the safety improvements now, Colin Chapman seemed very ruthless in the pursuit of speed and the track owners were a big part to play.

if you get to watch it its reccommended.

Denzle

Quote from: stupott901 on 30, March, 2011, 07:57:13 PM
just finished watching gp the killer years from the other night on bbc 4 what a scary era to be a f1 driver and how drivers died thank god for the safety improvements now, Colin Chapman seemed very ruthless in the pursuit of speed and the track owners were a big part to play.

if you get to watch it its reccommended.

I watched it, and I remember just some of these.  But two who I really have sympathy for are Graham Hill and Mike Hawthorn.

Neither were killed on the track.  Hawthorn was hit by a car on the road and Hill crashed his own light plane in bad weather.  Now thats what I call bad luck.

But pre war cars were just as bad with drivers sitting almost on top of their cars..  Just a roll over killed some of them.   Very brave men, all of them.... :(

stupott901

yeah i watched a program about graham hill what bad luck to die in a plane crash and not a race especially in that era as well

i love watching the footage from that period

Denzle

Quote from: stupott901 on 30, March, 2011, 09:29:56 PM
yeah i watched a program about graham hill what bad luck to die in a plane crash and not a race especially in that era as well

I have a two and a quarter hour tape of Grand Prix through the 50s period, its fantastic.   I will see what I can do with it....Hint Hint...Nod Nod.....if you know what I mean..... 8)
I think you would love to see it.

Denzle... ;D

stupott901

Quote from: Denzle on 30, March, 2011, 09:36:13 PM
Quote from: stupott901 on 30, March, 2011, 09:29:56 PM

I have a two and a quarter hour tape of Grand Prix through the 50s period, its fantastic.   I will see what I can do with it....Hint Hint...Nod Nod.....if you know what I mean..... 8)
I think you would love to see it.

Denzle... ;D

Yep I would denzle 2 1/4 hours of bliss the misses would hate it bit id be in heaven :D