News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Does anyone have experience of doing grp work?

Started by CC Cyclone, 27, October, 2015, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC Cyclone

I need a bit of guidance with my ongoing new project. The full details are in the topic 'New Project' but I thought I would start a separate thread seeking a bit of technical help.

To summarise, I have cut a hole in the back of my car and let in, as neatly as I can, a moulding from an Alfa light surround. I now need to hold this in place permanently. My plan was to try and glass it in from the rear as the moulding protrudes through the panel at the rear and so I could lay up grp at a right angle between the existing body and the new surround. Does anyone have any experience of this? I could do with someone with a bit of experience telling me which mat and resin and lay up technique etc to try etc?

Anybody any ideas?

Daley Down Under

What about epoxy resin (slow cure not the rapid stuff)?  As an alternative, what about that squirty expanding foam that builders use to fill big gaps (that sets rock hard).

Cheers Adrian

benchmark51

Assuming you have good access the inside of the panel, I would use a glass fibre paste applied from the inside and pushed through the gap. You would use gloved fingers to apply and maybe do it in sections and smooth it to a radius on the inside. Sets quickly, gets warm too. When cold, trim the outside to match your shape and follow with a good polyester stopper.

sanzomat

Or just a bit of plastic padding? My only experience of GRP was making kayaks when I was about 12 as a youth club project but I remember that when it came time to stick the two halves together we mixed up some, spread it all around the joint and then pushed the top half into the bottom, smoothed off what oozed out and sanded when it had set. Did the same for sticking the seat molding to the top. As I recall once set there was no separating them!

benchmark51

Your right, once it's gone off it's not going anywhere. I always machine it afterwards, it's a bit hard for hand sanding. Then plastic padding stopper, mixes easy, goes on like butter and nice to hand finish.

CC Cyclone

Thank you chaps. Much appreciated.
I will see what I can find and report back.
Wait till the lights are done and you hear the next question... but I will keep that for another day!