News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

M.O.T Test

Started by Martin Higgs, 09, February, 2010, 10:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Higgs

Hi I was just after some advise regarding M.O.T need to book one in next month and wondered if the things I changed since SVA last year would pass the M.O.T, I have fitted small mirrors and small motor cycle front indicators also a small front number plate has anyone had any problems with test any suggestions would be welcome

'The Gaffer'

I have my very first MOT coming up this year, so as above, it would be interesting to see if anything was picked up on other cars.

I'm really not sure if things like mirror and indicator sizes are that important, I'm guessing that as long as they work and are fit for purpose then thats fine. I expect kit cars present some grey area's to MOT inspectors and some discretion is used from time to time.

Furore Phil

Small number plate ? is that like the one from a bike ? might not like that.

They are getting really picky on number plates, it has to be the correct character set, size and spacing. It's all for the automatic plate readers.

Martin Higgs

Yes small front motor bike style number plate guess I need to change that before the test no point in failing just because of a number plate.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Martin Higgs on 10, February, 2010, 10:19:29 AM
Yes small front motor bike style number plate guess I need to change that before the test no point in failing just because of a number plate.

I've got a small stick on one, think I will just have a word with the inspector when I book the test. A big one would look terrible on my car.

Mark G

I'm an MOT tester so can clear some of this up.

Mirrors. Require drivers side wing mirror and one other optional mirror (pass or centre rear view), no regulations on size.

Indicators can only be failed if they are OBVIOUSLY too far in from the outside of the car. Again no regulations on size.

There are however regulations on numberplates, recently testers have not been able to fail cars on number plates though. I'll check tomorrow if I remember and let you know if they are currently tested.  If it's not i'll find the special notice which states that plates are not tested. 

Mark G

If anyone has any other MOT test related questions please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Mark G on 10, February, 2010, 06:30:15 PM
There are however regulations on numberplates, recently testers have not been able to fail cars on number plates though. I'll check tomorrow if I remember and let you know if they are currently tested.  If it's not i'll find the special notice which states that plates are not tested.

Cheers Mark :)

Martin Higgs

Thanks for that Mark might save the cost of new plates :)

Mark G

Unfortunately number plates are now once again a testable item.  Sorry chaps.

'The Gaffer'

Martin Higgs

Thanks for clearing that one up Mark, new plates it is then. :(