News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New Tiger Cat E1, 2l Zetec project

Started by nojjer, 12, May, 2016, 07:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nojjer

Hello all, thought id get a project thread started, this way i could keep you guys updated on what im doing to the car and possibly post any questions or problems i encounter along the way

SO some info on the car, the car was built up to a rolling chassis by the first owner who then sadly past away, it was then passed to a family member who attempted to work on the car but found he wasn't to the challenge. It was then sold to a chap who had the car sent to tiger factory where it was finished to its current state. This owner then used to the car for a period of time and sold it on, the next owner only used the car 3 times on track. The car has only done 253 miles from the factory build and has a folder full of paper work.

Now its my chance to put good on this car, my plans are to get it through the IVA test, and use the car on and off track as much as possible.

Its currenty running a silver top 2L zetec, ZX9 bike carbs and Megajolt ecu.

Started by stripping the front end, and trying to find a safe place to keep these part., ive also discovered the previous owner changed the seats, it would appear hes cut the seats in half and used a lot of adhesive to secure the base, no bolts at all.

Plans:
Address seat issue
Service engine and gearbox
Understand IVA requirements and make those changes.

Facial Hair Optional

Well done on spotting that seating issue, could have been nasty in an accident!

sanzomat

Must have been a builder - some chippies use gripfill for everything these days...

Iancider

Looks like Dentifix to me - he might have been a Dentist or just toothless!

nojjer

Glad I'm glad we spotted the problem now. He was a builder, luckily for me the seats were the only things he changed or touched

fullpint

nojjer

Thanks fullpint, think they may require some fine tuning or Ecu tweeks

Iancider

Any chance of getting along to a meet sometime nojjer?  Loads going on in June.

Ian

nojjer

Not sure im gunna be able to make a meet for a while, still alot to do for the IVA and im racking up some overtime for new seats

nojjer

Not alot going on, seems im struggling for space in the garage so i decided to make up something allowing me to move the car sideways closer to a wall.
This was the result, very happy now gives me chance to work under thecar and down either side.

Also decided to strip down the seats to see if i could salvage them, it would seem the previous owner cut them to get around the 'pigs ear'

i was hoping to be able to weld them back together but it doesn't seem to be :( think i nice set of composite seats are required now

Facial Hair Optional

Yeah fit some Tillet 'look-e-likee' ones. Not too expensive on ebay and hug you nice, tight and secure. I would not be without mine tbh

nojjer

Are yours from eBay? These were what I was looking at, they are almost the same side as the jk composite seats

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291760299833

Vindicator

Looks like I have the same setas, mine are on runners and they're a lot more comfortable than they look. I have neoprene pads on the contact points to 'soften' them a bit. Pleased with mine. One thing I have noticed is that mine have edge trim fitted which may be there for the IVA but I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge than me can advise. BTW, nice car!

Ian

nojjer

thanks ian, anyone have photos of their seats?

peterw

fullpint

The state of that seat base!!! What was the previous guy on???

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: nojjer on 26, May, 2016, 12:55:30 PM
Are yours from eBay? These were what I was looking at, they are almost the same side as the jk composite seats

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291760299833

Sorry nojjer this post must have slipped past me! Mine were in the cars when I got them. I have genuine Caterham R500 Superlight ones in the Fury. It came with a drivers side one but I bought an identical one for the passenger side on ebay. It has not been fitted yet and will be sold with the car. They are about £460+vat each new! I got a nice used one but they don't come up that often.

The ones I have in the ASBO are almost identical but not quite as light (I weighed them) and the Caterham ones have grippy material on them. I'll see if I can find some pics but the Caterham copy ones on ebay are just as good in my opinion and a LOT cheaper. I measured them side by side and dimensionally they are almost EXACTLY the same. My guess is they made a mould from a genuine one and then just made their own!

As Vindicator said, they are a lot more comfy than they look!! Once strapped in with a 4 or 5 point harness, you ain't going nowhere dude!!!

nojjer

benchmark51

Quote from: peterw on 31, May, 2016, 05:37:20 PM

That any good  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Now that's a nice seat! Do they do one that can cook and not nag? :o ;D ;D ;D

nojjer

Haven't posted an update for a while, cars been abit on and off with house improvements being made at the same time.

finally got around to giving the old girl a good service, was quite shocked by what i uncovered.

Removed the rad as it was leaking to find this....

So a new rad was ordered and some new pipe work was required

She's now back up and running again and holding water perfect.

next mission is to tidy the garage :D
oil catch tank
new fuel sender for tank
order seats

Facial Hair Optional

nojjer - when you say "Removed the rad as it was leaking to find this...."  are you referring to the colour of the water or something else?

Nice to see another Tiger Cat E1 on the mend, mine is still playing up  :(  Needs to go on a rolling road again I think.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: fullpint on 31, May, 2016, 07:02:42 PM

3 tins of Heinz baked beans I think ;D

Nice update nojjer 8)

nojjer

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 13, July, 2016, 10:23:06 AM
nojjer - when you say "Removed the rad as it was leaking to find this...."  are you referring to the colour of the water or something else?
Rad was leaking at the top so though I'd remove it for possible repair. Then that was the water that came from the rad.

nojjer

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 13, July, 2016, 01:14:15 PM
Quote from: fullpint on 31, May, 2016, 07:02:42 PM

3 tins of Heinz baked beans I think ;D

Nice update nojjer 8)
;D ;D haha may as well had been. Time for a nice set of composite seats  8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: nojjer on 13, July, 2016, 08:03:49 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 13, July, 2016, 10:23:06 AM
Rad was leaking at the top so though I'd remove it for possible repair. Then that was the water that came from the rad.
Don't forget to fill the new one up with a good coolant/antifreeeze with good anti-corrosion properties!!