News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Club Meets

Started by Bulldog Bri, 10, September, 2012, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

I know this is gonna stir up a Hornets nest of debate but here goes. As I touched on the subject on the Queens Square thread I've felt that the club is not very strong especially for newer members to join in the fun say 'Hello' and get to know the regualars.

With this in mind I'm going to suggest that a new weekend time is put in place as the weekday evening slot only gets a few going along, (though if you want to put out a run for any evening go for it) the old Sunday evening meets we used to have could have a good turn out (more so in the Summer of course)

Now this IS the Bristol Kit Car club and thats where the meetings should take place I don't think any should be miles out of the city, so I'm not suggesting small village pubs miles from anywhere but maybe a run from where we meet up to one could be an idea. I'm also thinking that we could hold a meeting, one month somewhere North of Bristol next month South and so on rotating on these 4 chosen venues.

So I'm going to suggest.

North could be the Parkway Tavern (or somewhere further up the A38 towards Thornbury)
South could be the Travelers Rest just before Pensford
East could still be the Riverside, Saltford (though this is more SE Bristol, maybe move to near Wick on the A420) The Griffin Bridgeyate or White Horse next to it
West could be somewhere on the Downs or a bit further out (don't know any pubs that way  :-[ )

There I've had my say and would be interested to hear if the club think this would be a good idea, NOT for more ideas on lots of different venues as we've been down that road a couple of times before and it just gets complicated. Just a suggestion for somewhere to the West with a good car park.  ;D

8)

paintman

Quote from: bulldog bri on 10, September, 2012, 09:31:36 PM

Now this IS the Bristol Kit Car club and thats where the meetings should take place I don't think any should be miles out of the city, so I'm not suggesting small village pubs miles from anywhere but maybe a run from where we meet up to one could be an idea. I'm also thinking that we could hold a meeting, one month somewhere North of Bristol next month South and so on rotating on these 4 chosen

Well Bri, we better have our own meeting then seeing as we don't live in Bristol (Yet we are the most active social group in the club!)    Bet your not willing to do a 60 mile round trip every month.     (The Somerset and Wiltshire Chapter)

YellaBelly

Sorry to poop on the parade, but I'm with Tony on this one a little. I enjoy the run to the Riverside and am trying to get to more meets now I am OTR and not building, but it is still a 38-mile round trip for me. I don't mind too much though as I thought the whole idea of meets was to get out for a decent run as well as chew the fat with fellow members.

Anyhow, that's just my 2p worth :D

JB

BTW Bri, you were right about the hornet's nest ;) :)

stupott901

Yes I am with tony and jb as well as for us over this side it is fair old trek

But it will be hard to please every one

Bulldog Bri

The point I'm making is that the only time we get the cars together in any real number is the Queens square meeting and not the Riverside on the evenings so the club isn't really happening at all as a club!

Yes I could be interested in travelling to a meeting and I'm not looking to split the club up into sperate Districts but just to give more people the chance of joining in and being part of the club. And how it is running at the moment isn't working.

Saying all this though, it is interesting that all the replys first come from those outside Bristol? ??? ??? ???

Also another observation was that we had a meeting on a Sunday afternoon not so long back and we had 9-10 cars turn up at the Riverside, great, so if thats still the best spot lets keep to a Sunday afternoon for the main club meet then, Thursday evenings just don't work at the only BKCC only meeting time as so few can or want to.

8)

paintman

Quote from: bulldog bri on 10, September, 2012, 11:14:54 PM
The point I'm making is that the only time we get the cars together in any real number is the Queens square meeting and not the Riverside on the evenings so the club isn't really happening at all as a club!

There are plenty of occasions we could meet up but it means travelling out of Bristol........ not just hopping down the road to Queens Square!!     I've bin to the coast 4 times in the Hood and posted events......just needs a bit of effort and interest. ::)

Bulldog Bri

I know you've orginised a few runs out and so have I, some well atended and others not so.

This is for a club meet for newer members to meet and become part of the club and feel like they have a place in it enough to join in on the forum as well...

8)

Bulldog Bri

On a more serious note. Phil did say he was going to see how the club ran this year to see whether he would keep the site going. I for one enjoy reading the build stories and seeing the pictures from meetings whether they happen in Bristol or anywhere else. We have 2 cars being built over in Ireland and they are more active on this forum than people more local. We have a strong contingent that enjoy track days. Others that prefer to do trips out as a group but I'm just trying to keep the club strong for the majority.
8)

fullpint

In and around the Bristol area is the quote on the home page...
My other-half (halfpint) has run her cento-rebels club for a few years now and believe me it's hard for her to keep everyone happy. Its the same with all forums. Keeping interest in the club events can resort to pulling in people from other forums to fill spacers at meets. We had a good turn out from fellow BKCC members who we welcomed with open arms.  At the end of the day all the forums have the same interest at heart. Cars/Motorsport and generally enjoy seeing a good bunch of like minded petrolheads.
Yes BKCC is Bristol based but I'm sure some local people (to Bristol) would rather travel just a little outside the area to get a descent run in. Can't be much fun going on a run that is just down the road!!!
Ive only been a member for a short while but its good to see that some just take it on them selfs to arrange a little meet/drive. Ok it may only be 3 or 4 cars but it's keep interest albeit on a small scale.
One of the key factors for us topless people is the weather  >:( If rain is forecast then its not going to be much fun turning up at a meet wet/damp and cold.
How about just having one monthly meet in the Bristol area? And then using the good old forecast to plan a meet/drive further a field?
This is one big hornets rest that Brian and started  ;D ;D ;D Good to get views from other tho.
May be I can bring my BBQ into my works and we can meet here (loads of parking on the farm) for a snack after people have had a little run out? Have a chat and some thing to eat.. Only got to be for an hour or so.

Bulldog Bri

I'll follow on from Fullpint, we don't mind going for a run outside Bristol thats never been a problem. I'm on about monthly club meetings, how it is just on a Thursday evening and not many attend as for Queens Square isn't really a Club meeting just a car event we join in, there are also members North of the city from the Glostershire and further who would possibly like a chance to come down and say 'Hi' but if all the meetings are running South of the city that adds quite a distance for them with having a meeting say even as far North as Thornbury on a rotation with the other araes then it add to the verity of places to go instead of the same place all the time and for others to have a chance to join inand see what the club is about. As a club we've never gone North once for a run (except for Stoneleigh)

Fullpint is right about the weather it has been very hit or miss this year planning a run out and Tony alot of your planed runs have been very short notice, a few months are really needed if you are looking for a good turn out.
I'm not looking to divide the club up into areas or Chapters Tony but bring us more together. instead of beiing in just one place and time that not many can attend.

The BBQ sounds good though it's getting near the end of the topless driving season maybe thats one to arrange for next year.
We had a break this year from the joint run with fellow members from ACKCC aftrer 3 good runs in a row, I will be trying to orginise one again for next year.

Any other ideas and runs welcome, but this is about Meetings which should be held in and around the Bristol area with a possible run from there.

8)

stevel

As an outsider (Gloucester new boy) I have got to say it has been a pleasure belonging to this club.  The Tiger owners never organise anything so what we do here as a club is brilliant.  It is a hornets nest and you will never please all but I really admire people like Brian, Phil, Pete, Dave and many many others who try to get these things going.  There are also many different interest (shows, meets, track days) that need to be considered.  the problem with the club meets for me is weekdays I can never rely on being in the county or country due to dreaded work commitments.  I would favour a weekend morning meet as it does allow a chance to get back home in the evening for the family needs.

We should not get too hung up on trying to please everybody. What happens here is truly great and at the end of the day if people like Brian are prepared to organise these things we should not criticise their choice and at least try and support when we can.  you also need to take on board that people will always come up with the ifs, buts maybes etc, etc.  therefore you have to go with the majority that you know will turn up.  i would be happy to travel down to Bristol for a club meet but a mid week evening would not work for me.  However this has not stopped me enjoying other events like Denzle's car show at Evesham, Corner weight clinics, Stoneleigh and the Avenue meet in Sunday.

Well done to Brian and others for the work they do here, lets keep trying to find something that works and not beat ourselves up too much.  I would like to get to a club meet one day and will sit back and watch what happens next.

Moleman

Can't agree more stevel.  8) Many thanks to everyone who puts events on here & keep up the good work. which we all seem to agree on this reading what has been said already. :)
I know we all want the same thing from club meets, event & trackdays etc & life's commitments don't always allow us to attend them all.  :(
I'm not worried about how far to travel but as a member of the I've got a roof but it ain't much fun with it on club, means the weather can (but not all the time) play a important issue on the day for me. :)
Not forgetting we have just had one crappy summer causing some events being cancalled all over the country.
Sunday was good & it was a shame i must have been next to members there & didnt know it.  :-[
So what ever people come up with even if it aint ideal for me I will try to work around it if it means we can do more big gatherings like sunday.  :)
Though it may end up next year now with winter around the corner.  :(
So Here's to I mild winter so we can maybe do some over the next few months.  8)

Bulldog Bri

Ok.

After taking into account what has been said here and speaking to a few others directly on the subject, I'm going to propose that the main club meet should be moved to the last Sunday of the month, taking it away from the Queens Square day as much as poss'.

Meeting starting at around 3:00pm and keeping it still at the Riverside Pub in Saltford. Still looking at the club map of where everyone (thats put their name on it) is, this is still the most central point to the majority. Making it an afternoon meeting should allow most to have a Sunday lunch at home if wanted and then come over of an afternoon drive before it gats to late as well....  ;D

8)

Pilgrim Anna

Great news! Does that mean we have two car meets the second Sunday of the month? Queen square ans BKCC?

Hairy Santa

sounds good to me

and if any other meets  are offered I'm game

robp

Very good.  Hopefully see you guys again soon.  :)

robp

Quote from: Pilgrim Anna on 12, September, 2012, 01:13:53 PM
Great news! Does that mean we have two car meets the second Sunday of the month? Queen square ans BKCC?

Eh?
Queen's Square: 2nd Sunday
BKCC: Last Sunday
;)

fullpint

I have my Sunday at 3pm  :( plus I need to walk my woof at 4pm, well give or take a mins  :D :D :D
It's going to be hard to please everyone. Let's see how it pan's out. I'm sure I can make it to a meet or a general drive/get together at some point.

Bulldog Bri

Take the woofer foe a drive then.   ;D

8)

Dixie

Well done and hats off to you Brian for having the spine to open up a " Rats nest" and do something to help the club, the club needs people like you to organise stuff.  I have always said that every democracy has to have a leader, it's the nature of things.

However, I have always said that I am unable to make afternoon events, so thats me out.  To everyone that can attend, you need to support Brian, don't just sit at the computer and blow smoke up his arse, you need to turn up and support what he is trying to do.  If you do that you will enjoy the club and get the most out of your hobby.

I have enjoyed the club over the past few yrs and met some nice people, for that I am greatful, its what clubs are all about.

That said, I think my time has come with the BKCC and I will move on quietly to pastures new.  I tend to go out with Paintman, Stu, Mustang Tony and a new bloke called Griff, basically the Somerset Chapter.  Plus I have started attending some Cobra Club events because they do more than sit in a pub car park talking, they actually drive their cars.  My Dax will do over 3000 miles this year and I personally enjoy this.  You will still see me about in Squeens sq, but also doing my own thing or going out with Santa who I knew long long before BKCC when we both drove our Cobra's in all weathers every weekend, and or Paintman/Stupot and Tony Searle.  The Somerset/Westbury Chapter has evolved due to this club bringing like minded people together, again for that I thank Phil for putting in hours and hours on the club site.

So from me it's over and out, and I honestly hope you enjoy the club by supporting the efforts that are being made by a small dedicated group of people in the best interest of your club.

Good luck, drive steady and be safe.

Best regards

Mark (Dixie)

Bulldog Bri

Thanks for the support Dixie, Hope your not going to be a complete stranger to the club and keep involed on the forum and any events that come in your direction.

Best regards Brian

8)

Moleman

Thats a shame i've only just got to know you Dixie, Paintman & Griff.
So if you hear off any shows or runs out like you did with haynes show etc fill free to put them on here as I'm shore some of us would be interested & would like to say hi to you guys & catch up now & then.

Well done Brian. count me in mate. See you on the 30th at the riverside then. 

alastair

Well done Bri. I think having two solid dates and venues is a great thing! It was very difficult to know when or where meets were being held ove the summer and that is the reason I haven't made it to any appart from th erecent queen square meet.

I will deffinately be along to a few more in the near future now that i know when and where they will be.  ;D

fullpint

I thought there was already two solid dates set!! Down side of setting a fixed date/time is that not every one will make it. Ive only made the Riverside once but when I did it turned out to be one of the best as in 10 cars yet this was not on the fixed solid date. Therefore I feel there needs to be a bit of flexability on all meets..

Bulldog Bri

As Alastair said having the 2 fixed dates make it easier to orginise yourself for them if they are flexible it then gets confusing and we don't get the bigger turnouts. And the time of day that we chose showed to me that it would be a popular time to hold it with the number that did make it along at short notice. Hardly any meetings this year have been either well attended, Queens Square is just a gathering of all types of cars that we join in on. And the Thursday evening meetings have been very poorly attended unlike the Sunday evening meets we used to have which I belived topped 20 cars on one occation.

Things like run outs can be flexible to make the best of good weather, saying that their is no reason why we can't do a run from a club meeting after an hour or so to make sure we have everyone that plans to turn up.

8)