+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Limp mode 2?? kit car..

Started by fullpint, 10, December, 2012, 09:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fullpint

:( not having much luck... Thought i would take the Mk indy in today at 630am.... Yes its cold (see pics)..
Cold start up was fine, pushed manual choke back in and off i went. All was fine untill the engine warmed up.. The engine was runnig very rough and one could smell fuel  :o Pulled over and stopped.. Being dark I thought lets carry on. Would it start!!!! After a few tries it did. So I carried on and made it to work. Car now sat in the sun warming up. Im going to tap the carb bowls and spray a load of cleaner into the carbs and HOPE its sorted for home time..

Bulldog Bri

Just defrosted mine as well, ready for the run to work. Needed jump leads to a spare battery in the boot (just in case) to get it started.

8)

fullpint

Car ran a treat coming home!!  Guess I will never know what the problem was. Still all sorted but I wont be using it tomorrow because I also had dip beam fail when i pulled up in the morning.
Best post on the winter project thread.. Check wiring, oil/filter change and carb clean  :D :D

fullpint

:o :o :o :o :o :o Thats £182 spent for the valve but thats just the start!!!!!!!!! They noticed my n/s rear bearing it shot (which I know it is) and also a leak from the water  :( Thats means cambelt kit etc.. So its booked back in for Friday with another bill of £430 to pay.. MERRY XMAS :( ;D :( ;D

evolution

A couple of my bikes used to suffer 'carb icing' - I'm sure you have heard of it.  Cold misty days are the worst. When the fuel mixes with the air in the carb,the moisture in the air content can freeze,blocking fuel delivery.
This manifests itself in rough low speed running and even stalling.

I believe there are additives for your petrol. There was a method with bikes to take a hose from the water system and run it around the carbs - I'm sure Hairy will have some sort of solution for a car carb.

bluehornetrider

I can't remember the exact freezing piont of different fuels but desiel has a lower freezing point than petrol and higher octane like aviation fuel lower again, when things got really cold we used to put aviation fuel in the diesel to winterise it still went waxy at -28c though. 
The problem with cold running on carbs is that the fuel is misted in and atomises lowering it's freezing point, pretty sure that's why old carbs had a hoty water feed pipe running around the carbs just to warm the ambient temp up and having the exhaust headers directly beneath them helps as well.  you could always install a cold start injector which jets in high octane fuel into the carbs just to give it a good boost.   

fullpint

Ran the Mk Indy on Friday to work and all was 100%. I guess it was a sticking float. Now we just need a few more dry days s we can all get them out for a ran.. ;)

evolution

Friday was a mild day and wasn't the weather that would have carb icing traits surface