News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Snowdonia zip line. BKCC Trip

Started by Moleman, 18, January, 2014, 06:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

The longest and fastest zip line in Europe  "The Nearest Thing to Flying" 
Here is the link please click & have a look.    http://www.zipworld.co.uk/

It is based in Snowdon, North wales. So it's quite a trek up there.  :(
We can do this in 3 ways if your interested in this?   
             1, Go up in tin tops or mini bus & take the motorways which will take about 3hrs 46mins driving time.
             2, we go up in the kits & take a senic route up through wales taking in some nice points of interest on the way there, B&B then Zip line, then leisurely drive home. This would involue about 4hrs 30mins driving time.
             3, Take the kits up through wales, take leisurely trip straight up there, do Zip line, then leisurely drive back.

The Zip wire would cost £50 per person which ain't cheap & they do a smaller one for £15 per person.

What do you think? take a look on the link & let me know?

Please give me feed back on this, dont just click to the next topic, I need to know what you think?
All feed back is welcome.  :)

Hairy Santa

Cant see many people forking out £50

and you havn't mentioned if they do breakfasts or not  ;)

'The Gaffer'

Speedy J are up for this in principle, dependent on date etc.

Hairy, you skinflint :P Flying through the air at 85 - 100mph over some of the nicest scenery in the world has got to worth £50 of anybody's money. The ride is about a mile long.

Iancider

Whether you do the zip wire or not it seems like a good excuse to visit Snowdonia to me.  True the zip wire is about £1 a second but that is only about the same as Hairy Santa's Hysabusa!  :o Anyway what do you pay for a once in a lifetime experience?   8) 

I went to Snowdonia in April last year and it was spectacular.  The route I took was one of the best I have ever experienced and it is good driving all the way from Chepstow - leaving motorways well behind. All of the roads are good even for low kits.  A trip along the Dovey and Barmouth Estuaries are just incredible.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bazrichardson/8639093605/

We stayed at a lovely hotel called the Tal y Llyn with its own lake  - see link.
https://plus.google.com/108079891128064152463/about?gl=uk&hl=en
and it has an incredible view.   Just a mile away are the Dolgogh Falls and they are impressive.  And a Hotel that does great outdoor food and sits at the entrance.

Nearby is the Tallyllyn Railway with a nice museum
http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/

and of course the World famous Ffestiniog - a long and beautiful steam haul. 
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48659e3132233221:0x94c05ec7fee5466e!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttp://www.panoramio.com/photo/4386106!5sFfestiniog+Railway+Co+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ei=P-HaUpKNBuqg7Abtn4HICQ&ved=0CI8BEKIqMAo 

This is a good one for mid-summer and there is loads more to do there including the EVO triangle!
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=304051  AND THE VIDEO

And there's more....

Edited to embed video. For those that would like to embed a video into their posts just simply copy and paste the URL and it will magically appear :) The Gaffer.

fullpint

Moleman

So far only 4 people did what I asked.  ::) Which was not click to the next topic until you told me what you thought of this!  >:(

Come on people this is a forum! which means you give your ideal & veiws. ::)

I was hoping to organize at least 3 weekend trips this year, So we have a cornwall one, I was thinking of a wales one, & also a devon one.

I was thinking we could travel up through wales as most of you guys have mensioned it would be good. (I will be doing not so long day out runs abit closer to summer as you don't need much organizing for these). So go up one scenic route through wales, then down another route.  :)

The Zip line a was thinking could be something to look forward too at the end but you can do the run but you don't have to do the Zip line if you didn't want to.
& if no one is up for a run that involues this kind of distance then that is fine as I can arrange a tin top run just to do the zip line.  :)

So please, please, please. let me know what you think on the weekend trips so I know wether to persue it or not. 
If you think it's not for you or you like one part of it but not keen on a certain part. please tell me.  ;D
Thanks Colin.  :)

paintman

Don't think the zip wire would be right for me.....not heavy enough, probably get stuck in the middle and my glasses would get condensation on them so I wouldn't see a thing through the mist and vapour.

Recon Santa would have a good run though but might need a parachute to slow him down at the end !......lol ;D ;D

Sorry Pete, just couldn't help myself. :-[

Moleman

WALNUT

LOL cant see me going down a zip wire, plus. I dont have any brown trousers.

Moleman

No Probs mate. 

What about the run up & down through Wales? dose that appeal to you guys?

WALNUT

I might be intrested in the run up and back. and watching one or two members on the zip wire.

Iancider

Good idea Walnut - we only need an excuse to go.  Snowdonia ia fantastic place to go whatever else we do. 

I'm up for it Colin if you need a buddy rider.

It should be a very familiar experience - 0-60 in 4 seconds and a very loud noise from the exhaust!  :o :o :o :o :o

This time it will be the driver screaming!  :D

Moleman

Who would like to do this then? :D

Stage one, A drive up through wales taking in some scenic veiws, good roads & maybe some other attractions on the way. Then B&B with a meal in the evening in a lovely location.  :D

Stage Two, After breakfast head to the Zip line, & you can either give it a go or watch a few of us pretend we can fly & do the Zip wire.  :o 8)

Stage Three, Then take a drive back through wale, Taking in other roads & views.  :)

There is alot of scope for movement on this as to what you guys would like to do no this trip. If you would like to do this but would like to visit something on the way please feel free to say.  :)

All routes & places of interest will be welcome if anyone has suggestions on which way & what to see on the way. Even down to what B&B you think may be good.
I'm thinking a weekend in July or August? but again can be changed?

So anyone up for this?  8)

1, Moleman.
      2, Walnut.
      3. The Gaffer
      4. Speedy J 

Krazyken

I won't be doing the zipwire, but the run out is appealing, the middle of Wales has some great roads, so count me in.

I reckon my Great Grandad (Walnut) would do the zipwire if the young lady in his Avatar was strapped to him, and just for him because he's so special to me, I kept her details and you can what else she gets up to here http://www.kittysdollsburlesque.com/  :o :o :o

As for Hairy Santa down the zipwire, I would pay for his breakfast if he could eat it all during the one minute ride!

Iancider

I'm going whatever happens so I am up for for certain!

Iancider

I'm up for the zip line and I know some good roads.

Moleman

Cool, people going so far. :)

1, Moleman   +  Zip line
            2, The gaffer  + Zip line
            3, Speedy J    + Zip line
            4, Iancider     +Zip line
            5, Krazyken

I would like any help with the route if anyone has done these roads before, so feel free to contact me or put suggestions on which is the best route to take.
Thanks colin.  :)

What weekend is good for you guys to want to do it?
I'm thinking one weekend in July or August? :)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Must have a go on that ..... is a long drive in a kit car and for me a lot of fuel, so I'm probably tin top.

'The Gaffer'

Thought I'd add just one more video...

1, Moleman   +  Zip line
            5, Krazyken
            6. Mendip Wurzel + Zip line

Moleman

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 30, January, 2014, 08:11:16 PM
Must have a go on that ..... is a long drive in a kit car and for me a lot of fuel, so I'm probably tin top.

Hi Mendip Wurzel, we are hoping to plan a route with a fresh break about every hour depending on what we can find that would be a good place to stop for 10mins? 
I don't know if this is any good to you? Either way your welcome to bring the tin top if not?  ;D  The more the merrier.  :D

Any perferance as to when you guys would like to do this? :)

'The Gaffer'

If we can get a few more it might be more economical to hire a mini bus?

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Moleman on 31, January, 2014, 03:10:56 PM
Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 30, January, 2014, 08:11:16 PM
Hi Mendip Wurzel, we are hoping to plan a route with a fresh break about every hour depending on what we can find that would be a good place to stop for 10mins? 
I don't know if this is any good to you? Either way your welcome to bring the tin top if not?  ;D  The more the merrier.  :D

I guess if there's no rush then the kitcar option would certainly be more of an adventure........

Iancider

Here's some info

The most direct route takes all of the best roads.  Petrol is now about £6.45 per gallon.  The distance is 378 miles return from the centre of Bristol.  If we toured about to enjoy the fantastic scenery - add about 60-80 miles or 15% to the costs.  At a leisurely pace with several stops it would be about 5 and a half hours each way (4.5h driving) and there are plenty of fuel stations but we need to plan them.

Bristol to Snowdon direct   189    Miles, 378   Return
mpg  galls    cost£
20    18.9 £121.91
22    17.2 £110.82
24    15.8 £101.59
26     14.5  £93.77
28     13.5  £87.08
30     12.6  £81.27
32    11.8  £76.19
34    11.1  £71.71    
36    10.5  £67.73    

I want to drive it because it has some of the best roads in Europe and some of the best scenery but there is no reason why we couldn't do this in mixed vehicles including a mini-bus.  It is quite a yomp for a single day so it could be better to do an overnighter - allow £40-£50 for a Snowdonia B&B - could be cjheaper.  Minibuses are £65 (7 seats) to £110 (17 seats) per day and would cost about £100 to £150 for the fuel.  So that works out at between £35 each for the 7 seater and £22 each for the 17 seater at capacity.  Any going in tin-tops could car share to keep costs down.  (Two up in a kit car sharing the cost is almost the same as the minibus).  Four-up in  tin-top is the cheapest transport.

This would also be a very female-friendly trip so no reason to have an empty seat.

Moleman

I was hoping to do this as a tour up through Wales in the kit cars/tin tops depending on what you guys want to take? with stop off meeting points to meet up so people can go at a pace that suits them. Then do the Zip line first thing in the morning before we head back on a different leisurely route.   (this also gives people the option to head back the motorways if they have head enough by then).  :)

Even if your kit car is an unfinished project & would like to join in this run in your tin top you would be most welcome. :)

I still would like your thought on when you would like to do this?

Thanks Colin.

Moleman

Any thoughts on which weekend you would like to do this? :)

If I get no responce by the end of the weekend I will pick one.  :D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Moleman on 06, February, 2014, 05:23:17 PM
Any thoughts on which weekend you would like to do this? :)

If I get no response by the end of the weekend I will pick one.  :D

Sat & Sun 19th and 20th July. From looking at a bit of history this time seems to be the driest and warmest..

Iancider

That weekend is good for me and I think school hols have started then.  It is near longest day so it would be quite viable for a late afternoon Friday Start to make it a long weekend if that works fr us.

Krazyken

Moleman

Ok. we have a date.  8) 19th-20th July I will contact the zip wire guys to see if there are spaces for that weekend?  8)

1, Moleman   +  Zip line
            5, Krazyken

benchmark51

Gonna give this a miss, probably spend some dosh at stoneleigh anyway.
Maybe invest some dosh in a pair of brown trouser ready for the next one!   ;) ;D

Moleman

Ok. I have contacted The Zip line people & so far Sunday morning is free but they do say not to leave it too late!

I will now check out some Hotels & B&B's once I have I will be looking for deposits for accomidation & Zip line.

Feel free to look at some hotels as well to see which ones you fancy? :D

'The Gaffer'

Iancider

The two popular places to stay to be near Snowdon are Llanberis and Bedgellert.  If anybody wants to impress the ladies then the Victoria hotel at Llanberis is amazing.  Bedgellert is especially beautiful and full of artists and interesting shops.

Moleman

Moleman

I have done a few choices of hotels near where we want to go. Please look at them & give me your thoughts guys as we need to book them soon.  :D

1, Royal Victoria Hotel, Llanberis, LL55 4TY.   It's £85-£95 for B&B, double standard room per night.   http://www.theroyalvictoria.co.uk/

2, Plas Hall Country Manor, Dolwyddelan, LL25 0PJ.  It's £68.50-£78.50 for B&B double standard room per night. http://www.plashall.co.uk/index.html

3, Royal Goat Hotel, Beddgelert, LL55 4YE.   It's £45-£55 for B&B, double standard room per night.
                                                         or £67.50-£77.50 Dinner,B&B double standard room per night. http://www.royalgoathotel.co.uk/index.htm    (I will have to check about parking here though)

4, Riverside Hotel, Betws-y-coed, LL24 0AS. It's £60-£65 for B&B, double standard room per night.  http://www.snowdoniahotel.com/hotel-tariff.asp

I have been looking at other cheaper options but these are either booked up already or it's street parking.
Please take the time to view these & tell me what you think? don't delay as they are getting booked fast!

Once we have a choice I will try to get a group discount. :D

Iancider

Moleman,

These are all great hotels and good value for money for what you get.  I have stayed in one - the Victoria and it was amazing and has good parking.  All of the others look good too - you have made an excellent selection there.  B&B's charge per person but Hotels do per room with breakfast so they are not as expensive as they look if two people are going.  With a hotel there is a chance of all being together with safe parking but with B&B's we could be scattered. 

I would recommend to everybody to make the most of the weekend - there is lots to do and see.  For instance Portmerion where "the Prisoner" was filmed with Patrick McGoohan years ago he of Lotus 7 fame - a complete model village at 2/3 real scale- £10 each and good for a couple of hours strolling around.  All of the roads are amazing and the scenery in the sun is spectacular. 

Moleman

That looks good to visit mate.  :)
All the prices are per room not per person mate.  :)

benchmark51

So if you all take sleeping bags and beer, you would all share 1 room? Reminds me of the stop over student parties from years ago. lol ;D ;D ;D

Moleman

Quote from: benchmark51 on 17, February, 2014, 09:05:48 PM
So if you all take sleeping bags and beer, you would all share 1 room? Reminds me of the stop over student parties from years ago. lol ;D ;D ;D

Your not getting it confused with the bomb shelters in the 40's are you Dave?  :P
Only joking mate.  ;)

dave_bence

Colin, could you please add me for this trip and the zip line :o

Ta!

1, Moleman   +  Zip line
            5, Krazyken
            7. dave_bence + zip line