Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Visit to HMS Daring - 12 Jul 14

Started by Grin-a-lot, 19, May, 2014, 01:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

Has everyone given Grin-a-lot their details now? :)

Iancider

As I will going in the tin-top, I wil now have a couple of spare seats if anybody want a ride and reliable transport.

Ian

benchmark51

Quote from: Moleman on 07, July, 2014, 08:02:38 PM
Has everyone given Grin-a-lot their details now? :)

No I haven't, but I'm having to back out of this one as Ratbag is not at all well. Played up on the last outing and that was just 12 miles return. Already have a lot on so may not even look at it till the weekend. :(

Iancider

Dave, I can offer you a (tin-top) ride if you want to go.

Ian

benchmark51

Quote from: Iancider on 08, July, 2014, 12:18:33 AM
Dave, I can offer you a (tin-top) ride if you want to go.

Ian

Thanks for the very kind offer Ian but my original plan was to go down with the rest of you and return early.
Reason being having a dog and not leaving him too long. Also I have the Ratbag hotel to finish before the end of the month as well as the contents of the garage to clear. Could have done without Ratbags tantrums right now so need to crack on. Retirement is such a relaxing time isn't it.  :-X

Iancider

Good luck with it all Dave - I think that coins a name for it

Project Ratmotel

Iancider

Hi Grinalot,

Only a couple of days to go - could you confirm the final arrangements please - meeeting point and time for instance and do we need to bring ID with us?

Ian

fletch_306

Grin sorry mate not going to make it unfortunately. Duty weekenders for me which as we know totally sucks but oh well.
air day at Yeovilton on the 26th guys if you want to see what I play with!

As for getting the mail, milk etc.... Try to go through a deployment without those things!!

I heard from a source of mine at work that Darings engines have a habit of overheating but of course a department such as yours would never let that happen. :D

This could go on a while us matelots are a stubborn lot.

Grin-a-lot

How about we meet at the McDonald's Longwell Green carpark (just before the cinema) at 0830?  There are a bunch of good cross country routes down to Portsmouth so i'll try and figure that out Friday ready for Saturday.

I'm planning on driving the Westfield down as the ever-reliable weatherman is saying it'll be nice...

Moleman

I'm waiting on the weather but will be driving the westy if it is nice. I would recommend we meet on the next roundabout at Keynsham on the little bus lane at Durley hill. We have met there many times & it is a good spot to meet mate.  :)

Grin-a-lot

Durley Hill is good with me, see you there!

Grin-a-lot

Here's the route that I suggest we take:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/7217770#

I'm more than happy to go with any better ideas but I've done most of this before, its a bit more scenic and keeps us off the motorway.  I'll need to stop for fuel at least once, Frome and/or Andover are probably contenders.

Just to keep things different i'll probably come home this way:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/7218033#

See you tomorrow morning!

Moleman

Will we be parking on the Navy grounds mate or outside. Just trying to deside if I'm going to take my roof & doors.  :)

My passenger can't make it now if anyone would like to tag along? depending if Grin can get you in of course.  :)

Grin-a-lot

Yeah we'll park in the dockyard so cars will be as safe as houses. There's no undercover protection though so but it's looking dry so i'll probably keep my fingers crossed regarding covers!

Iancider

I'll meet you all at Durley Hill 08:30
Ian

benchmark51

Sorry not to make this one, but I know Ratbag isn't right. Strangely the parts turned up today and at a push could have fixed it in time. Tempting fate, so will take my time instead. Still, you lot, have a good time and beware of the press gang! oo arrr! :-*

Iancider

Darren,

Thanks for a great day out - a lifetime experience - we enjoyed it immensely.  Hope you didn't get too wet on the way back!

Ian and wifey

Iancider

Colin,

Wasn't that a big coincidence that you should meet up with us on the return journey when we went totally different ways!  Then we pulled off at the services cos we saw all of that rain coming in.  And did it rain ??? :o :o :o.  In the 15 minutes that it took us (under shelter) we thought of you getting a drencher and then this motorcyclist pulled alongside us and said:

"I've never seen one of these before and now I've seen two in the last ten minutes and both yellow but the one going the other way was getting a complete drenching!"

Hope you dry out soon!

Grin-a-lot

Glad you both enjoyed it!

Believe it or not I stayed totally dry!  I came down the A303 but went north on the A338/A346 to the M4 and attempted to drive round the outside edge of the cloud (and got away with it)!

I had a fun day too, despite the ignition barrel falling through the dash and a couple of gauges going mad!

'The Gaffer'

Well, what can I say, what a fantastic day!! Personally the best event so far with the club. Thanks Darren for organising it and being a great host 8)

It was a big privilege having a good detailed look over HMS Daring, from the deck to the depths of the ship and into the massive engine rooms.

The ship is having a massive re-fit at the moment but even so there is a lot of classified equipment which obviously we could not photograph but heres a few pics to whet the appetite..

A few of us having a drink in the officers bar.

Not everyday you get to sit in the captains chair of a warship worth billions of pounds

Huge rear deck, 2 helicopters can be stored behind these giant doors

This gun is insane, apparently packs a real punch and is controlled by someone in one of many control rooms below deck

Such a little steering wheel to steer such a big ship

HMS Daring in dry dock

I believe this is one of Darings sister ships just to give perspective.

8)

robp

What a fantastic day.  Thank you very much Darren for organising everything and being a great host.  I felt very privileged to be able to look around a modern warship and to get an insight into life aboard a Royal Navy destroyer.

It must be difficult to get around if you were 6'6" or more with all the pipes and beams.  Also, I'd love to know what is it like to get home after a long voyage; I'd be lifting my feet everytime I walked through a doorway!  :D

I was surprised how many Wrens there were onboard.  Most the crew I saw yesterday were WRN!  8)

Here are some interesting looking Gingerbread men (and women!) in the galley.  If you look closely, I think one is an hermaphrodite!

Moleman

It was a good day Thanks Darren.

I'm not sure why we had to wear hard hats Rob as I never banged my head once, those doorways did have high steps to walk through.   8)
I was tempted to eat one of those ginger bread men.  ;)

That was strange to see you Ian. Darren & I took a scenic route until we stopped off for fuel near the A303 then I shot off down the A303. It did start to rain & I pulled in when it came down hard & put the roof on so I didn't get wet appart from a few spots while putting on the roof. After 15 mins just after I passed Stonehenge I ended up taking it off again for the rest of the drive home.  8)

Iancider

Well its good to hear you had your roof - I hadn't noticed that.  You should have seen the motorcyclist - his face looked like it got a good lashing.  And we have to hope Darren found shelter I don't think he has a roof.