AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Thinking of booking Castle Combe just for us.

Started by Moleman, 30, March, 2015, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

I know I haven't had a lot of commitment from hardly anybody track days this year so this may be dead in the water before it starts.

Me & a mate are thinking of booking Castle Combe race circuit for just 22 - 25 of us on a open pit forum. Castle combe would run the circuit but we would be in charge. We hope by just having people we know with only 22 cars in total will encourage people who hasn't done one before to give it a go as we won't have any idiot's out there to worry about.

It would be on Monday 17th August at a cost of £200 each for the day. But extra drivers & passengers will be free so you could share the cost with a friend who can also give it a go with as many friends having passenger rides for free & with only 22 cars for the day you will get plenty of miles on the track so when you add this up it could work out not bad value up to other track days.

You will still have to abide by all the normal rules & sound test of 100db at 3/4 rev's.

There will only by friendly people out on track who will also be happy to help out & give you friendly advice if you want it.  :)

To book this I will need a strong commitment pretty soon & when we have enough I will need the money pretty soon so we can book the circuit, but unlike most track days if you do need to pull out closer to the date we will do our best to get someone to replace you & if we do you will get a full refund.  8)

So what do you think? I have 5 cars so far so I just need 17 more.

Iancider

That does sound like a good idea.

It could be a try-out for first timers and passengers rides for the future drivers and there would be plenty of potential for spectators at Quarry.

I am interested if I can make the date.

Ian

Lucky Ed

Moleman

That's one definite & one possible? is that it?  :(

benchmark51

No, not quite. You also have a definitely not. ;D ;D

Lucky Ed

Quote from: benchmark51 on 31, March, 2015, 08:29:32 PM
No, not quite. You also have a definitely not. ;D ;D

LOL Dave - you know you want to really ;D

benchmark51

Just spent loads of beer tokens on Mot and tax. Roof comes next and some fluffy dice. lol

damouk

sanzomat

I'm interested but I can't give a firm commitment right now. Depends when I decide to fit the VVC engine - the car might be in bits!

Camber Dave

CC Cyclone

Colin, I am bucking the trend.
Definite for me, not often you get the chance for an open pit lane without the threat of a subaru driving over the top of you. Great idea, count me in.

damouk

.....and talking of Subaru's, I was chatting to my mate at work today who knows combe very well and has helped out on lots of charity rides there, he said he would be a definite if he was allowed and there was a space.

Moleman

I won't rule him out as yet mate. You will have to vouch for him though as I want this to be a friendly track day so we get a lot of first time people who may not have done one before & would like to give it a go that's why I'm trying to get people I know & from the club so I can take away any idiots that might spoil it for the people new to the track.  ;D

So far I have Moleman   =    Definite
                        Lucky Ed   =    Definate
                        CC Cyclone  =  Definate
                        Iancider     =   Maybe
                        Damouk     =   Maybe
                        Sanzomat   =   Maybe
                        Camber Dave = Maybe
                        Damouk's mate  = Definate

Any more for this?
I'm hoping to do a first time session for anyone who would like it before we go to open pitt :)

Lucky Ed

Colin, that's a great idea for the less experienced guys, by the time you've done some parade laps and a couple of sessions for the new guys the first hour would be gone. The rest of us are still going to get more than enough track time with the limited numbers, so lets hope it might encourage a few more to join in. I remember bricking it at my first couple of track days, there's not just the driving to contend with, you're never really sure how well your car is going cope with the extra stresses - it's a lot to take in without a load of nutters flying all around you ;D

robp

Private trackday at Combe in August?  Yes from me.  :D

CrisisWolf

Sounds like a good idea (not done a circuit yet only airfield)

I don't check these forums often but I maybe able to get some 'local' people I know from WSCC to join in?

Crash Test Dummy

Count me in! No chance I will miss this one! 100% on board (let me know when you will need the money).
Maybe an new BKCC annual event??? Different track each year or keep it local?

Moleman

I won't rule him out as yet mate. You will have to vouch for him though as I want this to be a friendly track day so we get a lot of first time people who may not have done one before & would like to give it a go that's why I'm trying to get people I know & from the club so I can take away any idiots that might spoil it for the people new to the track.  ;D

Lucky Ed   =    Definite
                        CC Cyclone  =  Definite
                        Robp         =    Definite
                        Chriswolf    =   Definite
                        Crash test Dummy =  Definite
                        Iancider     =   Maybe
                        Damouk     =   Maybe
                        Sanzomat   =   Maybe
                        Camber Dave = Maybe
                        Damouk's mate  = Definite

+ 7 from my mate.

Any more for this?
I'm hoping to do a first time session for anyone who would like it before we go to open pitt

Moleman

Quote from: CrisisWolf on 02, April, 2015, 08:22:21 PM
Sounds like a good idea (not done a circuit yet only airfield)

I don't check these forums often but I maybe able to get some 'local' people I know from WSCC to join in?

Thanks for that mate that is really helpful but it is looking like we will have enough but if this changes I will let you know as I have to allow for the other people that are going from my mates side that I do track days with.  :)

Once I have enough we will be collecting the money & it will be done on a first pay first on the list bases so please watch this space.

I will hold a reserve list so if someone has to pull out then they will replace them & the other person will get their money back.

smudge

Yes please its a definite from me  :D
Great idea, after acting as ballast for a few of you and my limited experience its a bit daunting but more inviting with just you lot lapping me  ;D

CC Cyclone

Smudge, don't worry I have never driven Combe and have only done a couple of track days before and so you are not alone. Coupled with that the last one I did immediately brought to attention that my brakes had an imbalance which meant I was pretty slow at times.  Everyone was accommodating, or at least as far as I was aware they were :D

Everyone has to start somewhere and ultimately it ain't a race.

Moleman

Lucky Ed   =    Definite
                        CC Cyclone  =  Definite
                        Robp         =    Definite
                        Chriswolf    =   Definite
                        Crash test Dummy =  Definite
                        Iancider     =   Maybe
                        Damouk     =   Maybe
                        Sanzomat   =   Maybe
                        Camber Dave = Maybe
                        Damouk's mate  = Definite
                        Smudge  =  Definite

+ 7 from my mate.

Any more for this?
I'm hoping to do a first time session for anyone who would like it before we go to open pitt

Lucky Ed

Quote from: smudge on 05, April, 2015, 05:14:16 PM
Yes please its a definite from me  :D
Great idea, after acting as ballast for a few of you and my limited experience its a bit daunting but more inviting with just you lot lapping me  ;D
Quote from: CC Cyclone on 05, April, 2015, 08:39:05 PM
Smudge, don't worry I have never driven Combe and have only done a couple of track days before and so you are not alone. Coupled with that the last one I did immediately brought to attention that my brakes had an imbalance which meant I was pretty slow at times.  Everyone was accommodating, or at least as far as I was aware they were :D

Everyone has to start somewhere and ultimately it ain't a race.

Everybody pays the same amount for the day, so everyone has equal right to be out there having fun, whatever speed they're doing - FUN being the operative word. I hope you newer guys can make it, it's shaping up to be a great day out 8)

Moleman

I nearly have enough now as my mate has a few going as well now.

So it will be on a first pay first on the list with a reserve list afterwards in case someone has to pull out so we can refund them & the other person can take there place.

I would like a Bank transfer if possible as I will be paying it all in one go.
Thanks Colin.

mikebishop

Hi,

this sounds like an excellent idea!!

good news for a newie

count me in!

Moleman

My friend, who is the main contact with Castle Combe, has 13 going so far so that means only 12 spaces left. So first to pay first on the list.

Paid & definitely going so far are 1, Moleman
                                                2, Smudge
                                                3, Lucky Ed
                                                4, Crash test Dummy
                                                5, Iancider
                                                6, Robp
                                                7, Mikebishop
                                                8, Damouk
                                                9, Damouk's mate Tim.

If we get past 15 (if my mate does not use any more spaces) then we will do a stand by list so if anyone who has paid has to pull out then you can replace them & they will get their money back.  8)

Please be quick if your interested as we were not expecting this to be this popular, if it goes well then we make this a regular thing.

Moleman

ONLY 5 SPACES LEFT!

So if you are a maybe please decide real soon. I will be doing a reserve list so if anyone can't do it we can then get someone to replace them so they get their money back.

So if you are interested you need to pay me now.  8)

Moleman

3 left now!

Get your name & payment down now before you miss out! :o

I will be doing a back up list after they are all gone in case someone has to pull out.

danwilko

Sounds like a good idea. I was looking at an airfield day at hullavington but if you'll have a 'beginners' couple of goes sounds even better
A maybe if i can get the time off work, and better check my db level first as it might be too loud

Moleman

We now have 5 spaces left due to some people changing their mind. So please if you are a maybe don't leave it to long.  :D

Moleman

I went down there today to see how Iainl was doing on his track day. I didn't get to see him go around the track but at least he did pass the noise test.  8)

To which by pure coincidence Damouk had just turned up to see if he would pass the noise test.

Which he did. 99.7db I think was result. I did notice the test guy was holding it right up & almost in the exhaust pipe so it should be a bit lower than that next time as it should have been 1/2 meter away.  ;D

Still a few spaces left. :)

Moleman

For those of you that hasn't done Combe & don't know the circuit here is one I did last year so you can see what the circuit is like. There is a few bumps missing now with the new tarmac but everything else is the same.  :)

damouk

Look at the concentration, but at least it was a pass... all be it .3db under the limit. One of the other guys some people adjust their tacho to over read for the test.

Good idea putting the vid up for us who haven't done track days or combe before.

Iancider

Guys,

We now have a sound-level meter - its a cheapy but it well tell us if we are in the ball-park.  Pre-testing is now a possibility.

Ian

Lucky Ed

I've got a cheapie meter and it's about as much use a chocolate teapot as far as Combe is concerned. If I hold it directly in line with the exhaust at about 30cm it reads about 90db. The test at Combe is a bit of a lottery as they seem to hold it at any angle or distance they like, they didn't even have a distance gauge on it, so the two readings I've had recently are 95 and 98db. I'll test my car again this weekend, and as Ian says it could give us a ball park guide to pre-test, knowing 90db on my meter is a pass at the circuit.

Iancider

Ed,

I didn't turn round to see mine but that is shocking if they are that imprecise.  Sound level drops as an inverse cube of the distance so doubling the distance will reduce the power by 8 times and that is 9 dB!  Also the height above the ground is very important because there is the reflection off the hard road surface and potentially from any nearby walls etc.  Meters should always be set to dB(A) which is the shaped response of the human ear.

It should be on a tripod, a fixed distance from the ground and the exhaust pipe.  If not it is a bit of a lottery.  :o  At Abingdon they seemed to do a fully professional test and it is a wide-open space that would have no significant reflections.

Ian

Regards
Ian

Lucky Ed

I've noise tested my car today with my cheapie meter, and to replicate the 96 dB reading at Combe last Monday, I had to hold it at a distance of 30cm directly inline with the oultet. This should give us decent ball-park figure if anybody wants pop over for a quick test, or borrow the meter, otherwise it's an expensive day out if you're turned away on the day

Moleman

If it all goes well with the response we are hoping to have a back up car to take anyone's place if they don't pass the noise test.  :)

robp

Quote from: Moleman on 20, April, 2015, 07:57:57 PM

.... we are hoping to have a back up car .....

I've seen it parked near your place.  Bit Top Gear style back up car!  ;D

Moleman

I was thinking someone else can take your place if you fail the sound check.   ;D
But that idea is better. I will see if we can get a banger from somewhere that can be the replacement for anyone who fails.
We could even get everyone to do 3 laps in it & have our own leaders board in the banger.  8)