AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

My Hood rear suspension skipping. Help!!!

Started by Gary RH7, 19, June, 2015, 09:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary RH7

I have always had a problem with keeping the Triumph based Hood on the road. Camber Dave talked me through setting the front end up and it is much better.
On the way back from work last night I was being followed by a colleague at work who knows a little about cars and he commented on the rear end skipping about going round corners and over bumps, front end looking OK.
I have adjustable spax on the rear and just had harder and longer springs installed to stop the rear wings hitting the tire round corners. Tires 175X13
Anybody any ideas of what to do?

Iancider

Yep,

You have possibly gone the wrong way there.  What you needed was progressive springing - harder at the extreme of travel not hard all of the way up.  CamberDave introduced me to Polyurethane spring assisters.  They act like progressive bump-stops.  When they are not compressed the spring would normally be about 150 pound rate but when they are compressed they increase the rate to more like 450.  You would never hit the wing with that.  Being progressive and with the dampers set right thee is no risk of hop.  You could see mine fitted tomorrow and Dave will be on hand to advise.

Regards
Ian

Gary RH7

Thanks Ian, never heard of them but they sound good.
See you tomorrow. I aim to get there early to avoid the rush as I am close anyway.

Cheers,
Gary

jmad

I had a similar problem on the back of my Fury and Dave put new softer/longer springs on but I was then rubbing the bodywork on hard corners so I have added the bump stops and it seems to have cured the problem completely.

Gary RH7

Glad to hear that there are solutions. Thanks.

Camber Dave

These are the ones referred to

http://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SF464-1833K

These fit 14mm shaft coilovers instead of the buffer normally fitted
Trim them to give 15 to 20mm of free damper travel AT RIDE HEIGHT.

They do 4 versions if these aren't the right length or diameter.

Edit - I also grind a 'bullet' nose on the lower end for a slightly more progressive transition

Dave

Gary RH7

Bit over my head Dave. I will catch up with you when I next see you so you can give me an idiots guide.

Gary RH7

After an interesting Saturday morning with Camber Dave...

I have my new shocks and springs

Out with the old.

After waiting a full 3/4 of an hour while the guys at Protech built them :o

In with the new.

Initial setup much better, Many thanks Dave.

Might need a bit of fine tuning but VERY HAPPY