News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Bulldog Upgrade

Started by Bulldog Bri, 03, August, 2015, 05:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

Well, at long last I've started my upgrade of the Bulldog. With 2 weeks off work and a week in Woolacombe, Devon.

It's finally time to get the better engine installed. :P
First job was to clean the new block and make it pretty ;)

I've also started the removal of the old engine which will eventually (possibly ;)) be going in to Anna's Bulldog. ???

Tomorrow, I should have the old one out and tidy up the engine bay ready for the new one to go in. :P

8)

Iancider

Brian there is no stopping you!

You car looked well at home in Devon.

Good luck with the projects.

Ian

Moleman

Good luck mate should be easy a job for you.  :)

sanzomat

Hope it goes well. Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Bulldog Bri

Daley Down Under

Good work Bri - block looks very tidy.  Enjoy the tinkering time  :)

Cheers Adrian

CC Cyclone

I'm envious of your garage time, enjoy!

'The Gaffer'

Two weeks holiday!! I cant even remember what that is anymore. Great work Bri 8)

Bulldog Bri

Here's a quick vid of the old engine coming out. ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSm4qIrLUmo&feature=youtu.be
I didn't have enough lift to get the engine out the top so dropped it down and lifted the car, simples ;D :P

8)

benchmark51

Ah, a Volkswagen Bulldog!

Bulldog Bri

With the engine out, I've given the engine bay and chassis a quick tart up with some hammerite, needless to say I don't think my arms are gonna rust either for some time ;)

The oil cooler that came with the engine was a perfect fit between the 2 uprights for the steering rack

8)

sanzomat

Good progress. Love the L plate on the hoist. Nice touch.

Bulldog Bri

Well after a lot of puffing and blowing and a few choice words the engine is all but in, found a few bits that need replacing or just getting, so now waiting for them to be delivered.

But it's looking good. Just hope it was worth the effort. ???

8)

Daley Down Under

1300 or 1800TC Bri?

Looking good

Cheers Adrian

Bulldog Bri

1800TC. The old one was an 1800 as well single carbed and just a bit tired. ;)

8)

'The Gaffer'

Love that video of the engine removal 8)

Facial Hair Optional

Great video. Didn't realise you were secretly Superman in your spare time!

Bulldog Bri

Got a few important bits in the post today, new fuel lines and the vacuum pipe for the dizzy. After a quick check over of all the connections and stuff I chanced turning the engine over, all seemed good oil light went out, I had spark and very good compression (165ish all round) so gave it a go or 20. slowly turning the dizzy till she fired up :P

It will need some more fine tuning but all in all, a happy Bulldogger. Better wait till I get a new gearbox mount before I try to drive it ;)

8)

Daley Down Under

Great news Bri - will go like the wind

Moleman

Bulldog Bri

After a few hours reading up and having a go, I think I've just about worked out tuning twin carbs and it's running so much better now. :P

8)

Hairy Santa

Great vid mate

love the way you were gonna take it up and out the top then lifted the body off  ;D

Pilgrim Anna

Well done love! You have made excellent progress. :-* Sorry to say I have been no use at all with any car maintenance.  :(Too many other things going on. and Ive got lazy as have you to maintain the cars so well.

Iancider

Well done Bri.  I've got a Carb balancer if you need it but a good old colourtune plug would help to get the mixture right.  Can anybody else help Brian with that?

Ian

Bulldog Bri

Wish I had known that Ian, would have asked you to bring it last Thursday to the club meet. Bring it next time maybe. ;) and we can check it then. I've done the air flow by tube and ear for now. I do have a Colourtune set for the mixture. ;D

8)

YellaBelly

Looking good Bri! Glad to see I'm not the only one who is not happy unless he is building/dismantling/fixing something :)

CC Cyclone

Quote from: YellaBelly on 12, August, 2015, 10:20:40 AM
Looking good Bri! Glad to see I'm not the only one who is not happy unless he is building/dismantling/fixing something :)

I'm glad I am not the only one. Currently on holiday for the first time in ages. Weather is hot, food is good, wine is great....but... I can't help keep thinking what I could be getting on with back in Blighty in the garage! Don't tell 'er indoors....

Bulldog Bri

Been a little while now sorting this out, still waiting on a couple of parts. The water pump was well worn, noisy and the impeller was fully connected to the pulley, so not working properly. So in the meantime I've had to put up with taking the 7 to work on the dry days and Anna's Bulldog when wet. hopefully it should all be sorted soon. >:(

8)

Bulldog Bri

The 2nd Water pump turned up yesterday, (no sign of the first one I ordered) fitted straight in, filled the system got Anna to help bleed the hydraulic clutch and it was job done.

Drove to work yesterday and today it does sound very different more growly ;D but it has started over fuelling at the carbs and they are flooding fuel everywhere (sticking floats in the SU's) should be simple to fix ::)

Seeing that the engine as far as I know was built in '89 fitted to the Bulldog I removed it from, Don't think it ever ran properly as the other car was never fully built. I'm going to run it gentle for a bit to let any parts bed in nicely for a while.

8)

Bulldog Bri

Well I've finally got it all sorted now (I hope) Been running the new engine for the last 2 weeks. It made it up to the Bradley Stoke Carnival and been getting me to work but most of the time it's been losing fuel from the carbs, needle valves not shutting off and on Friday eve coming home from work one got stuck and closed off so I was running on just 2 cylinders. >:(

Gave the carbs a good clean and polish inside again and now (touch wood) it's going great and sounding good ;D

One job done, on with the next.
Anna will be getting my old engine and gearbox along with the rear axle from the Bulldog trailer, a better diff and I think one of the half shafts in the one she has could be bent as the rear has a uneven ride. ::)

8)

Moleman

Good luck with the next job mate. Don't forget to put her doors back on once you are done.  :)

Iancider

QuoteGood luck with the next job mate. Don't forget to put her doors back on once you are done.

Wot? - like the "Italian Job"  ;D

'The Gaffer'