+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Scrap yards?

Started by CC Cyclone, 19, December, 2015, 07:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC Cyclone

Do any scrap yards still exist relatively nearby that allow you to wander around and remove parts yourself? I am looking for a couple of items for the Belva but don't really know what car they will come from. I used to spend a morning walking around a scrap yard for such things until I found something that would do the job but not been to one for a few years. Do they still exist?

benchmark51

No, not nowadays. There are a few around but they won't let you wander around them. Think health & safety may have a lot to do with it. Best say on the forum what you're trying to do and although some answers may be way off the mark, some may be very useful.

fullpint

Ransons in Trowbridge and Jones in Devizes you can still wonder around, just not meant to climb up on the cars!! Also Ransons in Westbury, ALL there cars are sitting on a hard ground, clean and tidy place to.

Facial Hair Optional

Google 'car scrap yards near me' and you'll get a decent list or use this website....

http://www.breakeryard.com/car-breakers

Then ring each one and ask I guess. Must be worth a shot and all from the cosy warmth of your lounge!

CC Cyclone

Thanks Chaps. I know most of them are now parts on shelves type of places but I know of a few you can still wander around and take bits off, they are all just miles away.

I want to have a look at various sources for bits of trim, seals, wiper motor and linkage, hinges etc that will fit and the best place to do it is scrap yard really comparing car to car.

benchmark51

Yeah, I know what you mean. Look at things and think how you can utilise or mod it for a particular use. Sometimes get ideas from looking at stuff on ebay or in second hand shops. The 'attic' at Staple hill or the 'wot not' shop. Just been watching a video on making a spot welder from an old microwave on utube.

CC Cyclone

You are right there Dave, the net has made this hobby much easier to source parts and find info than when I started with this hobby back in the 90s.
I do miss scrap yards, I used to enjoy a morning spent scavenging and as you say, if I couldn't find a part to fit in catalogues, there was no substitute for getting eyes on many bits and working out how to make them fit.

'The Gaffer'

Ah, I remember the days you could walk around in between towers of cars with your boots six inches deep in congealed oil and sharp metal fragments. Oh the satisfaction of scaling six cars with a toolbox and squirming through that broken window at the top just to get those nice snazzy dials out of a rain soaked scrapper.

If you were lucky, you might even get away without paying for that little switch you stuffed deep in your pocket ;D

Memories...

benchmark51

Was always the way, whatever you bought the stash of fuses, bulbs nuts bolts and washers made it better value! ;D ;D ;D

CC Cyclone

Yup, I think we have all been there! Why they never checked tool boxes on the way out was beyond me! Maybe that's why they have closed. I miss it, young 'uns these days have no comprehension on having to rummage around in the rain to find the bit to fix your car as you spent all your money that month on beer. Different times.

paintman

I once climbed up to a car perched on the top of 2 or 3 others, whilst getting a dial out of the dash I noticed that
the keys were still in the ignition.....yes you guessed.....started first time, scared the hell out of me!! :o :o

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 19, December, 2015, 01:53:20 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Look at things and think how you can utilise or mod it for a particular use. Sometimes get ideas from looking at stuff on ebay or in second hand shops. The 'attic' at Staple hill or the 'wot not' shop. Just been watching a video on making a spot welder from an old microwave on utube.

Or if your car is REALLY old, Ben's Reclamation Yard in Frampton Cotterell!!!

fletch_306

Brings back memories of time with my grandad I'm sure he used to use me to smuggle parts out of our local scrappy when I was little. I do remember one scrappy near Liskeard in Cornwall that I popped into when my Peugeot 306 tensioner pulley seized. It was literally go have a look sget what you want and it's yours for £5 I couldn't imagine that today. Reclaimed parts ate close to the cost of new!!!

sanzomat

Oh yes, the happy memories. That's brought me straight back to a time trying to get a track control arm for an Alfasud off the one that was top of a pile of five. The arm was wedged tight onto the roof of the car under it and had to rummage around for something to spread the load of the jack to lift it as everything I tried to jack off just bent away. The whole time the pile of five cars was wobbling back and forth. Got it off in the end though and the car got another MOT.

Bulldog Bri

I think there is still one just past Shepton Mallet near Pylle, on the A37. Though it's been a couple of years since I've been past there.  ::)

Found some good spare tools that had been left in some cars as well as the parts I needed.  :P

8)

Daley Down Under

Chatfields in Southwick was my personal favourite old time yard in the 80s. Think it was turned into a housing estate around 2010.

Cheers Adrian

paintman

Quote from: Daley Down Under on 20, December, 2015, 12:19:40 PM
Chatfields in Southwick was my personal favourite old time yard in the 80s. Think it was turned into a housing estate around 2010.

Cheers Adrian

Yea, I used that one a lot.....owned by "Ginger" Chatfield as I remember, he was a big name in local motorsport....
Rally-cross I believe.

Remember watching him race mainly in "Minis" on Sunday afternoons on the television.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: paintman on 20, December, 2015, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: Daley Down Under on 20, December, 2015, 12:19:40 PM

Cheers Adrian

Yea, I used that one a lot.....owned by "Ginger" Chatfield as I remember, he was a big name in local motorsport....
Rally-cross I believe.

Remember watching him race mainly in "Minis" on Sunday afternoons on the television.

That's him Tony - bit abrasive until you got to know him.  I was always after Mini parts so no problems  :D

Cheers Adrian