News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Cyclone up-date!!

Started by fullpint, 05, October, 2017, 06:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fullpint

WEll I still think this is the best kit I have had.. Over the past few months we have spent a little on it!! Firstly a full brake overhaul was done by Dave.. Brakes work a treat now. Next I let Dave rip the front end apart so I could do a little powder coating :) Also went on a power run and got 220bhp
After that I then popped into a local garage to see if they can locate a noise!!! Thinking may be water pump!! Turned out I had a cam-belt with a load of teeth being worn away!!! Head came off only to find a scored barrel . Only had 3 bar compression..
So a replacement C20LET was located which is currently being installed.. Forged piston, a few other goodies and a print out of 272bhp..
Cant wait to get her back on the road..

'The Gaffer'

fullpint

Should be Phil, it was quick before running only 3 bar in one pot... With 13 bar on all four and an extra 52 horses on stand by its going to be interesting  ... Here are my new seats waiting to go in..

fullpint

Well still no kit car!! Engine was finally installed only to  have smoke!! So it was removed and my old turbo and manifold was fitted. Seems to have cured the smoke issue however after a test run it had an oil leak present. They located two area. Distributor seals and the sump gasket. Just waiting for the parts to arrive and be fitted.. Oh well I'm sure it will be worth the wait!!

benchmark51

What a bummer! Still you would only be wasting your time driving around and think of the petrol your saving. ;D ;D

fullpint

I think the RS uses more fuel than the Cyclone :) Next hope is that it will be back with me some time in November!!! Just in time for those frosty mornings  ???

fullpint

Well the leaks have been cured only for another one to pop up... After a test run yesterday (engine goes well) they spotted a small leak so today the gearbox is coming back out and the crank case seal is being replaced.. I hope this is the final part.. Think its been nearly 8 weeks now with no kit!!

benchmark51

Did you 'sorn' it? I use the monthly dd system now, makes it easier.
I remember the lotus twin cams were leaky buggers too. Always used rtv with the gaskets, that cured it.
Still in the habit of using it now!

fullpint

Still taxed Dave.. Thing is 8 weeks ago I thought a little noise issue was just going to be a 3 day visit to the garage!! Oh well never mind.. ;D

fullpint

Car came back!! But them went back again. Fitted my new seat last sunday and went down the road!!!
Half a mile to a round-a-bout, turned round, popped it into 3rd and BANG :(

benchmark51

That's a bugger! No foreign objects dropped in there? Looks like a sudden stop inside the box to do that much damage. I think a standard box is quite easy to get at about £200, but quaife jobbies are nudging £7k. Saw this one on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-f20-gearbox-c20xe-redtop-converted-to-hydraulic-clutch/352214257568?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

fullpint

Yep I saw that, tempted... Waiting to talk to a chap up north who deals in Vauxhall stuff. He may have a rebuilt box. Ok it will be a lot more than £200 but!!!! Already put well over £3K into the engine swap and I would prefer a box that is going to be good for a few years.. We shall see :)

benchmark51

Ok, just thinking you might want to go for one that gets you up and 'running your engine' in. Then if you feel the need for a more 'exotic' box, do a swap over and have a spare. After ploughing loads of dough into a kit you need to get some (s)miles out of it, otherwise it becomes an expensive 'object' taking up garage space. Also, being as yours has civilized refinements (roof) you can use it over winter. Still missing Ratbag though.

fullpint

first week of September was when the Cyclone went in :(
Still I'm having a fully re-built F20 gearbox which is being done this week/next. Just hope the garage can fit it ASAP so I can get some miles put on her...

benchmark51

With luck you will be up and running soon. My Quantum has behaved itself as a daily runner over the past year although it cost me 40 odd quid for a new alternator!

fullpint

Gearbox was sent off to me today, next day service so i have fingers, legs and arms crossed that it WILL arrive tomorrow.. If so then i am hoping the garage can fit it next week... But we shall see..

benchmark51

Aah ha, a glimmer of hope on the horizon :D. Hope it all works out well for you :) :)

fullpint

Better late than never!!  thought i posted the news?
Well the gearbox was fitted mid Jan. Picked up the Cyclone and done 500 miles in it. NO HAPPY MILES!! It was running like a bag of nails so mid-march i gave the car to Sabre Tuning at Merlin.. They had it for just one day and sent me a message saying; Its Brutal Steve...  8)
Running 260 BHP at 1 bar boost.. By god it goes well now. This week i got my interior back from Intatrim. All fitted and looks great.

benchmark51

All worked out well for Stoneleigh then :). I shan't be there, too much to do! Got a 2000 mile trip to do soon and will be on a different wavelength for a while. Hoping for the best a bit, but the last 'epic' was 51/2k miles and the one before that 7k miles. If it doesn't work out I will get a good suntan,come back to UK and make out as an immigrant,  be living in the Hilton in no time. lol

'The Gaffer'

Very nice job on the interior 8)

fullpint

Cheers Phil,, hows life treating you at the mo?

'The Gaffer'

Mustn't grumble Steve :) Hope all is well with you.