News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Westfield or Tiger?

Started by Old Biker, 14, February, 2010, 09:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Biker

Hi Team,

I first posted here early Jan 10 and have yet to get to one of the meets but sounds like I will put that right 21 Feb 10 if I read the posts correctly.  My question to you is 'which car would you buy and why when given the choice between Westfield or Tiger'?  The specific models concerned (I think) are the Tiger XL and the Westy SEiW.  From what I gather I will fit in both length wise although still not sure about size 13 plates!  I guess what I am after is learned opinions the handling characteristics and frame reliability (cracking/corrosion/suspension etc).  Most of me wants to believe that if I am not a professional driver (which I am not), it wont make a difference?  If this is the case then can you give me a few pointers on why the Tiger seems to be cheaper for comparable specs?  Typically I am looking at the following cars at the moment
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1429413.htm, http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1277003.htm and http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C120218/#

The last one sounds like a bit of a hand full  ;D but I expect they are all a bit quiker than my mondeo!

Hopefully I will learn from your responses so that I will have something to discuss that won't make me look an arse next week!

'The Gaffer'

My advice would be to try before you buy. I am just going through a big almost total rebuild to get my car to fit me.

Stoneleigh show will be a good chance to sit in almost anything to see if you will fit.

If you want something sooner, check out classifieds etc and plan a route to see and sit in them all.

Kit cars are quick to insane, speed generally comes with price ;D

Let us know how you get on.

Old Biker

Good advice as ever.  Only problem with that is the one I am interested in is in Edinbrugh!

I intend to get up to your meet next Sunday if it is on?

'The Gaffer'

Thats a long way to go :)

Yes the meet is still on, dont know how many are attending and who will be in kits. Allways a few more in the summer but thats no good to you now. Be good to have a chat anyway.

The Luego Viento could be one to research, apparently it is quite spaceous. Again they are in Scotland but may be able to point you in the direction of a customer down this way.

See link http://www.luegosportscars.com/viento.htm

Dixie

YellaBelly

Old Biker

Always liked the quirkey look of the 7 style and it will fit in my bike shed (ex-bike shed!).  I do like the Cobra style but pockets aren't that deep!

YellaBelly

Quote from: Old Biker on 15, February, 2010, 04:12:18 PM
Always liked the quirkey look of the 7 style and it will fit in my bike shed (ex-bike shed!).  I do like the Cobra style but pockets aren't that deep!

Me too, could really do with a share of that £56 million that couple just won :(

Furore Phil

Old Biker

Phil,

After 6 months of comfort eating and doing no phys  at all I probably wouldn't get my backside any where near the seat!  Then there is nowhere to sit the better half and then there is the small matter of being £20k short.  Apart from that it fits the bill?

'The Gaffer'

QuoteThen there is nowhere to sit the better half

You can remove the big air duct behind the drivers seat to reveal a passenger seat, actually quite spacious ;)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Westfield or Tiger? Top of my list would be build quality and who put the car together. It's all of those little hidden things that always catches me out.       

paintman

I think my Hood would be a bit tight, the seats are only 18" wide!!

tickious

The first one on your list looks nice. I do think you seem to get alot of car for your money with a Tiger. :P
I'd get high backed seats though.

Richard

Interesting decision to have to make.

I think I'd judge on the car not the make, but then you need to see them in the flesh etc..

As for Edinburgh, have a long weekend / day, do a cheap flight and treat someone, will help with the guilt of buying another car.

David H

I've seen some gorgeous Tigers that look and sound spot on. The Tiger has a lovely stance and is generally cheaper for a similar spec. A well built Tiger is a competitive car but it does have to be well built. There are some awful home made kits out there so maybe take someone who knows his stuff around the model you view. I have a Westfield and I love it. I've done 10,000 miles in it with various engine/ brake and suspension set ups. My car was immaculate when I bought it but that didn't stop me ripping it to pieces. Everyone has a different type of ownership and it's only when I own something do i really know how I want it. Others are different. I cannot recommend a Westy enough as it's well known to be pretty tasty when set up properly. I haven't looked at your links yet but both The Westfield and the Tiger are good cars if put together right.

Also check out the Striker. Awesome handling.   

Richard

and Dave will take it apart yet again I am sure  ;D

David H

probably. cant deny it. ive done 1000 miles on new engine and gearbox and rebuilt diff and  she does sound nice. Rev limiter comes off a week Tuesday and she should be good for just under 8000. Cant wait. 

Bulldog Bri

I'll look out for you coming around the ring road again  ;D Did see you again last week going both ways past the Kebab van on the Sorthwood stretch

8)