News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

windscreen mounting

Started by foggy, 28, December, 2010, 02:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy

When I took the windscreen frame off, there was some type of black  sealer between the body work and the windscreen frame, it was a sod to get it all off, is there a rubber strip that fits in there, or is it just a form of sealer that you use?

Furore Phil

This black sealer, was it still soft and more of a very very dark drown when spread thin ? if yes, I think it was Mastic. More used on garden sheds or sealing the underside of cars than glass. Cleans off well with organic solvents(white spirit or petrol).

The one good thing about it is that it doesn't dry out or set over time.

foggy

Hi Phil, it was black and I had to use a sanding disc to get it off the body work,below where the windscreen frame sits just above the body work. Is it mastick I should be looking to use to make a seal between the windscreen frame and bodywork?

Furore Phil

Hmm, that does not sound like mastic. I think you have a badly perished rubber seal there.

You should try and replace it with something similar - it should prevent water leaks and allow for a bit of movement between the glass and GRP.

Anyone offer a good supplier ?

paintman

How about a black silicone frame sealer......stays flexible and lasts for 20 years. ::)

Dixie

Use RTV silicone sealant.  if stuck let me know I have some.  As Tony said, flexible and lasts for years.

Also very very strong, will stick anything to anything.

M

foggy

Lots of advice there, cheers. I will pop into Arco in the week. they have a huge range of sealers, see what I can get from them.

MrFozzieBear

Chances are that it is a Polyurethane sealer 3M make it as does wurth.
When it's set it's a pig to remove that's why using something that looks like a cheese wire is good tool for initial windscreen removal as for cleaning the rest you can only do your best.
It's got to be a strong adhesive on production cars to bond windscreens and increase rigidity so it sounds like it's the same stuff.

Cheers,

Craig.

minijon

I found that the old style Dum Dum putty can go so hard it dries like cement  if exposed ie the seal between the two surfaces its meant to cushion are not seling that well .
On my Hustler I removed the glass frames and parts were still soft as putty and then on other areas like corners - rock hard ! Used to hate the stuff as it smears everywhere but it does do the job well and will prevent rattles behind hidden panelwork .  Where panles join on the exterior you can then use something else to fill before screwing evcerything down tight ..
I have found that foam rubber sealing strips found in hardware shops to be the same as that sold in car suppliers - have used lots over the years . 

I have also used black window sealant for joint filling between panels that I don't want to/ can't seperate and one tube in a gun will do a lot of car .

van cleef

Personaly i would use Lead mate sealant as it's massively flexable and will stick to anything but only down side it comes in blue/grey.Silicone is crap on anything that will be pulling on it all the time but is good on rigid stuff.

foggy

What I have ended up using is Tecnic Pura Flex 40, its a high modular pu adhesive and sealant. Seems to have done the job, but it goes every where, but with the aid of white spirit, I think I done a good job.I will just have to wait and see.