News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

KIt car Electrocution

Started by YZFMINI, 23, February, 2012, 01:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YZFMINI

Pete had the battery optimiser / charger pluged on all day. As well as running up the car in the garage.

I turned up and he lent over the car got a shock. He started to complain of a shock ever time he touched the car,
So i touched it several time and got nothing..even touched it at the same time as Pete he got shocked and i never.. So i was about to commit Pete to the place for special people.

I took my shoe off so i was not protected by the rubber soles of my shoes and low and behold i got a massive shock....
Any way i then started to look around the car a bit more as this was obvioule being caused by more than 12v or coil to ground.

It turns out that the mains cable to the charger unit had got melted on the exhaust then moved away from the exhaust by pete, but it was arching thought the black melted residue to the chassis of the car.  That Gives you a jolt!!!!! :o :o :o

Moral of the story Keep the batery charger cable away from the exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

'The Gaffer'

Haha, you guys are funny :)) That made me LOL

robp

Hairy Santa

Must admit it was some pretty hefty shocks, about 10 of them in total - I couldn't touch the car at all without a belt  ???

we had a lovely wet concrete floor as it was raining and we had been walking in and out

and my boots are not exactly waterproof  ;)

240 volts  on the entire chassis, and Colin def thought I was cracking up when he coundn't get the same as me until he ground himself out by taking his shoe off  - of coarse he got the full belt - he then agreed there was something slightly amiss   

bloody funny at the time  - but could have been a lot more serious, it was actually going through the insulation tape that was put on to cover the burn in the wire - crazy

fullpint

Good to hear you both are ok but I just can't help laffing ;) ;) ;) ;) Must of been sooooooo funny at the time. On a wet floor as well :o

Sumov8

Pete

Its time you invested in a Residual Current Device or similar, it may save your life :o :o

I do remember a similar incident when I touched a contact (thinking it had been isolated)  and thought it had a sharp edge so touched it again

The second shock was a lot bigger and I woke up on the other side of the room :) :)

Hairy Santa

so came down the house and there is the missus checking on the life insurances

several hours later she asked " whats that your looking at " I replied " the marriage certificate , oh she said "why "

"I'm looking for the EXPIRY DATE"  - boom boom 

Krazyken

You two could be the Laurel & Hardy of the BKCC, I will leave you to work out which one's which.  A Black Award nomination is your reward for this posting.

On this subject, check out the recent remake of the A-Team where Murdock tries to jump start a car using heart defribulator - hilarious!!!!  I can see you doing that as well! ;D

paintman

'The Gaffer'

You can see Pete and Colin here at the end playing with electricity, I'm sure Colin has his shoes off trying to feel a bit of static :))

stupott901

Good that you are ok though, very lucky well i think the moral of the story is to get an rcd

i hate electric shocks not pleasent

YZFMINI

If i had not gone round can you imagen what state the car and pete would have been in. well the car would have been in one piece not in bits as he could not undo anything without getting a shock LOL

David H

Deep fried Dax with a melted topping of Pete. Yum :o

alastair

You guys are like the chuckle brothers. To me. To you.  :D

bluehornetrider

Tickles a bit don't it! Worked with electricians for a year all 15years plus experience, every single onw of the had had a good belt from the mains.  If the power is out in you garage you ought to have an RCD feed from the mains outlet.

Hairy Santa

Been like it 40 years now and I'm still kicking, but must admit it does keep you on your toe's  ;)

trouble with them things they trigger when you put any heavy current through them, welder, compressor ect- think I might try the misse's one she uses for her lawnmower - my lawnmower one wont work I know  - its a petrol jobby  ;D   

paintman

Nice touch that.....seperate lawn-mowers. ;D    Do you do half each like a job share. ::) ;D

Hairy Santa

No it's her grass

I wanted to concrete it all  - with green dye in it of course  ;) maintainence sorted,

but was stopped from laying the 6 cubic mtrs so its definately her grass - only get my mower out in an emergency  8)
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a joke for you

Whats the best thing to spray on  grass from seed onwards  -------answer------------- wiskey and water

Why you ask ?

because it comes up HALF CUT -  :o