News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Enthusiastic Newcomer

Started by Iancider, 11, March, 2013, 10:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iancider

Hello all,
I am pleased to be among you and look forward to shared experience and meeting up.

There is a clue in the alias – the Ian bit and the second part eludes to somewhere south of Bristol so by now you probably feel you know me already but even so here is some more to profile me.

I am well into building a Westfield FW special with the aim of getting it on the road asap.

It is perhaps best to describe me as a born again Petrolhead.  It began about a year ago when a friend asked me for help and lifted the bonnet.  "Where is the coil" I pondered and "is that manifold really made out of plaastique?"   And then I could not see the distributor and when it came to "Engine Management" - I realised I hadn't got a clue.  I had been away too long – I was out of touch and as useful as a perished inner-tube.

As a young chap (another clue there) I was very much into exotic vehicles way beyond my reach but I was not one to give up.  As soon as I had raised capital and at the tender age of 17 I began to trade cars with the aim of achieving any vehicle insurance.  By the age of 19, business was going so well that I acquired a DB6 and happily drove that around at 8-14 mpg for 3 months and then was dead chuffed to have sold it with a massive profit just 2 weeks before Aston went bust.  Guess that was a bad move on hindsight!

From there I moved into a career and marriedness and a whole string of plain but practical company cars.  For years I built my career only to realise when a bonnet was lifted that I had lost my way.  I missed the smell of hypoid oil, the reek of petrol and hot rubber on sticky tarmac otherwise known as Aftershave for MEN.

As a properly married democrat I got into the scene but needed to involve Wifey because to be honest, I had to raid the housekeeping money.  Like a proper Petrolhead I reviewed the entire market, reduced it to a shortlist which then became a short list - or to be precise - two choices. 

Now, I should put it this way, one option would involve the purchase of a Trilby hat and it properly recognised motoring history and the other would involve some involuntary facial reconfiguration. 

So off we went, Wifey and I, to trial the rivals.  I got to drive them alone and she got to ride in a strange car with a stranger.  She said she enjoyed the experience immensely and the ride was good too.  Then it came to decision time. 
I handed my wife the two brochures and said

"I can't decide – I'm torn". 

She responded surprisingly quickly and stabbed the page with her finger and said:

"This one – its you". 

I turned sheepishly looking out from under my Fred Dibnah cap and she said:

"Yes this one and you ought to go for the throttle bodies as well – you need something with a bit of go in it". 

God she was sexy as she said that.  There was a little lost time in my life just after that and there was a kind of fog that descended – only lifting when I made the payment.  Wow, I (we) just did it!
We are now rejuvenated - my girlfriend and I. 

A great chassis, good looking and racey – what more could I ask for?

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club. Nice introduction.

Moleman

Welcome .  :D
can you put some pictures on so we can see how you are doing?
When do you think your westy will be ready then?  :)

stupott901

Hi there and welcome nice story an ideal wife as well

dave_bence

Iancider

Hi all,

Thanks all for the warm welcome.  Bear with me for a while as I get used to this blogging thing.  I am already realising that if you are blogging you are not building and if you are building you are not blogging.  If I am not doing either then is is probably some sort of emergency!  I will post some pics soon.

Wife - yes you are right she is perfect.  I bought this model ready made but if she came in kit form that is exactly how I would have built her!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Iancider on 18, March, 2013, 06:22:35 PM
I bought this model ready made but if she came in kit form that is exactly how I would have built her!

Sweet.

Grin-a-lot

Welcome to the club; just one question, are you talking about the Westy or the Missus? ;)

QuoteWe are now rejuvenated - my girlfriend and I. 

A great chassis, good looking and racey – what more could I ask for?

YellaBelly

Hi and welcome. Good to know someone else has an understanding 'other half' ;) :D

JB

Sprint 7

A warm welcome to you Ian,My wife is very understanding too ;she 's just not very interested in kitcars Te He He!!!!  ::) ;D

Bulldog Bri

paintman

Welcome Ian and welcome to our club!

My Missus comes out with me a handful of times a year.......and insists on driving the Hood back home!!! :o

She has yet to overtake anything....... not that I can see 'cause i'm hiding down under the dashboard in embarrassment most of the time!! :-[ :-[

Tony