News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Great day at Track Developments

Started by Lucky Ed, 30, January, 2013, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

I trailered my car up to see Dave Gallop at Track Developments yesterday for a full set up. During the winter I have rose jointed the lower wishbones front and back as I had some serious problems with toe on the back. I have also replaced most of the 12mm bolts with 1/2" ones which has got rid of a lot of play, a problem that only reared it's ugly head when under high loads on track.

Dave adjusted ride heights, corner weights then set rear camber and toe, followed by front camber and castor. The front castor was positive on one side and negative on the other, which would have explained the instability in a straight line, luckily there was just enough adjustment to get it right. Finally front toe was done followed by re-adjustment of ride heights and corner weights.

All in all Dave spent about 5 hours on the car which flew by as he has great enthusiasum and patience, willing to stop and give me a masterclass on the whiteboard about why moving the top hat in the front hub does not change the castor angle only camber, going on to explain load v grip, effects of anti rollbars against stiffer springs, slip angles - at which point I must have glazed over because he stopped!

On a short run the car felt instantly better and all of Daves' great tips should come in very handy this summer. It was a fun and informative day and look forward to trying the car out in the next couple of months. No doubt I will manage to live up to my name with a few breakages along the way - but hey, thats half the fun isn't it ;D ;D ;D

'The Gaffer'

Yes Dave does some great work, the difference in my car when he set it up was like black and white.

Anyone wishing to get their car set up properly should book a session with Dave at Track Developments. BKCC members get preferential rates :)

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 30, January, 2013, 09:51:49 PM
I trailered my car up to see Dave Gallop at Track Developments yesterday for a full set up. During the winter I have rose jointed the lower wishbones front and back as I had some serious problems with toe on the back. I have also replaced most of the 12mm bolts with 1/2" ones which has got rid of a lot of play, a problem that only reared it's ugly head when under high loads on track.

Dave adjusted ride heights, corner weights then set rear camber and toe, followed by front camber and castor. The front castor was positive on one side and negative on the other, which would have explained the instability in a straight line, luckily there was just enough adjustment to get it right. Finally front toe was done followed by re-adjustment of ride heights and corner weights.

All in all Dave spent about 5 hours on the car which flew by as he has great enthusiasum and patience, willing to stop and give me a masterclass on the whiteboard about why moving the top hat in the front hub does not change the castor angle only camber, going on to explain load v grip, effects of anti rollbars against stiffer springs, slip angles - at which point I must have glazed over because he stopped!

On a short run the car felt instantly better and all of Daves' great tips should come in very handy this summer. It was a fun and informative day and look forward to trying the car out in the next couple of months. No doubt I will manage to live up to my name with a few breakages along the way - but hey, thats half the fun isn't it ;D ;D ;D

The bloke who sold you that car with all that work  still to do,    -      should be shot at dawn   ;)

Lucky Ed

For once Pete, I totally agree with you ;D :P

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 31, January, 2013, 04:54:06 PM
For once Pete, I totally agree with you ;D :P

Love it  :(      - one thing about it,     it should go like stink now that Dave has set it up  :)

Moleman

I know where that dodgy bloke lives Ed if you want to pay him a visit?  :P :P :P

I am taking mine there tomorrow.  He did a cracking job on mine last year. It was all over the place until Dave set it up for me.  ;D ;D ;D

matty78

A good thread reviver but mines going in tomorrow, only heard goods things about Dave and his skills.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: matty78 on 03, April, 2013, 10:36:57 AM
A good thread reviver but mines going in tomorrow, only heard goods things about Dave and his skills.

I'm sure your car will be running on rails after a setup with Dave. Feel free to post a review once it's done on a separate thread.