+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Yeah, bought my GTM back

Started by andygtm, 23, June, 2013, 10:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andygtm

Hello all, haven't been around for a while as I sold my GTM a couple of years ago. Some of you may remember me and although the club had set up a non kit car invitation especially for enthusiasts I have sadly put most of my efforts into the local BMCC mini club of which I am club secretary. So here is a brief summary of how it happened so please bear with me. I am into classic minis, always will to be honest and owned them for the last 29 years. About 3/4 years ago I was browsing the web looking for a 16v mini conversion to buy and came across a GTM Rossa K3 and I fell for it big time. With its flared arches, rear spoiler and bigger wheels it looked like no other K3 on the web and to be honest stock ones looked abit naff. Based on the Rover Metro GTi and being a rear wheel drive mid engined car thought it would be fun and a change from the minis, not to mention the closest I will get to owning an Elise or VX220 I had to give it a go and also abit of a midlife crisis ??? Decided to go for it and buy it, then that's when it went abit sour. Broke down on the drive home and the gear selection was very vague (why don't you pick up on these things on the test drive) mickey mouse handrake set up which my local garage laughed at. But it drove lovely and I was very pleased with its performance. To cut a long story short I had plans for the car and bought a 1.8VVC engine and MGF rear brake and handbrake setup to cure some problems but didn't get that far with it. Thanks to Dave for all of his advice and stories of how well his car went with the same engine it was something I really wanted to do. As time went on these little niggles meant I couldn't enjoy the car so another mini was bought with a Vauxhall 1.6 8v engine and so the GTM was sold. Managed to sort out the gear change abit before it went so I was happy for the new owner. The mini has been a blast, not overpowered which may seem odd but why have too much if you cant use it. Good useable power(110bhp) which is plenty and a 5 speed box means its a pleasure on the motorway, but it just hasn't been "doing it for me " for a while. Two weeks ago I was looking on ebay(as you do) and couldn't believe it was for sale again. This was the second owner after I had sold it as I had been contacted by the new(2nd) owner for advice on the 1.8 VVC engine swop and his future plans for it. I phoned him up for a chat and his reason for selling was a rather lovely classic Alpha Romeo had been bought so again the GTM was on the move again. The biggest bonus was it now has all the mods I was going to do so I couldn't say no and he let me have it for a good price too.   THE END.
Its a lovely car to drive now and sat in my garage along side the mini. I am so pleased to have it back and will hopefully get to enjoy it this time round. This is the only car I have ever bought back and I have had a few but most off all I want to give it a good home.  Its had 14 owners now, guess you either like it or hate it but I personally think its been passed because of its faults, but not anymore I hope, well its going to play up now and again for sure. Thanks for reading and hopefully see you soon and taking part in a few things as the club offers some great events. It is the most active car club I have been involved with that's for sure.   

Moleman

Thats a really cool story Andy. I have come across a few guys that have sold there cars then bought it back again a few years down the road. I wasn't a member when you had yours the first time round so look forward to seeing it soon.
how about sticking a few pictures of what it looks like now?  :D

dave_bence

Welcome back Andy ;D

It'll be good to see you and the GTM again 8)

andygtm

Thanks, I will sort out some pictures soon, there should be some on here somewhere. To be honest it looks exactly the same but all the changes are underneath ;D

'The Gaffer'

Good story Andy, welcome back to the club :)

I think this is the one..

andygtm

Thanks to the Gaffer we have a picture of the GTM, Thankyou. ;D

Moleman

It looks really nice. Good colour scheame too.  ;D

fullpint

Quote from: Moleman on 25, June, 2013, 07:49:21 PM
I agree, Yellow and black rules  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iancider

YellaBelly

Quote from: fullpint on 25, June, 2013, 07:52:53 PM
Quote from: Moleman on 25, June, 2013, 07:49:21 PM
I agree, Yellow and black rules  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I agree Steve, be a good colour for an MG Midget  :P ;D ;)

Welcome back Andy, nice tale ;)