News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

should i sell my robin hood?

Started by Willtd5, 30, September, 2014, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willtd5

hi all,

After finally getting the robinhood to a stage where i can actually use it with out the worry of having to return home on the big yellow taxi. I have found i have not actually used it that much this year at all and was thinking of maybe selling it but i wondered if its just me or do other people have the same problem?

'The Gaffer'

I think a lot of people go through the same phase. I have bought and sold kit cars thinking it's time to move on but have always come back after missing that totally raw experience. I guess you have to ask yourself what you wanted a kit car for in the first place, was it the build itself? If so sell it and build another, lots of owners do this. Was it for the driving experience? if so maybe the car is not suited for what you want i.e not fast or exciting enough in which case you need to upgrade. Or like many others, lifestyle simply does not afford time to enjoy hobbies as much you might like.

Why not bring the car out to one of our meets or events? It might re-kindle your interest.

Moleman

I pretty much would say the same as The Gaffer. Why not come to a few events before you decide.  I know the crap weather will be coming soon but while it's still ok try to pop along soon. You will be most welcome.

Willtd5

Thanks for the advice, I took it for a drive and enjoyed it, I think I had forgot how much fun it was, so it's not just me to have thought about selling the car then? Thank you I will try to pop along to one at some point

garry h

Sounds like you have answered your own question  ;) ;)

peterw

I must admit I have had similar thoughts occasionally this year, After the Stoneleigh affair it's been in the garage in bits all summer. But hey there's another summer next year.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Willtd5 on 30, September, 2014, 07:40:47 PM
Thanks for the advice, I took it for a drive and enjoyed it, I think I had forgot how much fun it was, so it's not just me to have thought about selling the car then? Thank you I will try to pop along to one at some point

There is no 'try', there is only do or do not.. Yoda (I think!!) LOL

Facial Hair Optional

The way I see it is that kit cars are 2nd (or 3rd) cars, they are there to be driven just for the sake of driving pleasure. I have a lovely 4x4 as my daily car but I don't 'drive' it, I just travel about in it. I don't 'go' anywhere in my Tiger yet I 'drive' it often. I wanted a car that would bring back the sheer pleasure of driving for the sake of just well.... driving!

People of a certain age (like me) can recall when the traffic on the road was half of what it is now (or even less) and driving was MUCH more fun. I remember racing a Rover 3500 SD1 up the Fosse Way in the Cotswolds flat out at 125mph in my Elan +2S back in the 80's, no speed cameras, no coppers and no flippin sunday drivers! It was fab and the closest you can get to that these days IMHO is a kit car, so yes, sell your Robin Hood but if you do, then make sure you buy another faster, better even more fun kit car to replace it! Then get out in it and rediscover the sheer joy of just driving for the hell of it!!! Point and squirt my friend, point and squirt!! YEEHAAAWW  :o

paintman

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 14, October, 2014, 12:05:51 AM

People of a certain age (like me) can recall when the traffic on the road was half of what it is now (or even less) and driving was MUCH more fun. I remember racing a Rover 3500 SD1 up the Fosse Way in the Cotswolds flat out at 125mph in my Elan +2S back in the 80's, no speed cameras, no coppers and no flippin sunday drivers! It was fab and the closest you can get to that these days IMHO is a kit car, so yes, sell your Robin Hood but if you do, then make sure you buy another faster, better even more fun kit car to replace it! Then get out in it and rediscover the sheer joy of just driving for the hell of it!!! Point and squirt my friend, point and squirt!! YEEHAAAWW  :o

Couldn't have put it better!!   I "drive" a van most of the time as a work horse but don't enjoy driving till I get in the Hood at the weekends......(climbing up the walls when it was off the road for the engine rebuild.)

Bulldog Bri

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 14, October, 2014, 12:05:51 AM

I remember the days of flooring the throttle just to see what top speed you could get out of your car, brilliant.....but unfortunately those days are gone as the motorways are far too crowded. My record of many years ago was doing Reading to Weston Super Mare in just over an hour.... the car never dropped below 130mph (except the M4/M5 interchange). Some my say ridiculous, but those days are certainly gone.     

YellaBelly

I spent 7 years building and IVAing my Locost, used it for 18 months, then sold it when I moved to Cornwall. It was a big decision, made slightly easier by knowing it was staying in the club as it was bought by a member.

I miss the car, would love to have it again, but at the moment it is not practical (weather aside) and I don't think I would use it anything like I should so it would simply be a 'once-in-a-while' toy and would not do it, or my bank balance any favours ;)

Maybe one day I will get another but for now I just remember the fact that I built it myself, drove it for a reasonable length of time, but times and circumstances change.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure the guys will give you good advice.

HTH
JB

Gary RH7

I'm another one who thought about selling my Robin Hood. It is 20 years old, one of the originals on a Dolomite 1850. I have only done 2500 miles in it in the 20 years but after talking to some of you at the Allington Farm Cherished vehicle show this year you have given me faith. I am purchasing a larger windscreen, thanks dave_bence, and talking to SW Auto Trimmers for a lower seat and side screens so I can actual sit in the car instead of on top of it (as some of you noticed) I am also talking to Camber Dave to get the wheel alignment sorted. Its going to cost me a bit but I just cant bear to part with it so you guys will probably be seeing more of me. Shame about the wife and kids.

Gary RH7

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 17, October, 2014, 09:28:44 AM
I'm another one who thought about selling my Robin Hood. It is 20 years old, one of the originals on a Dolomite 1850. I have only done 2500 miles in it in the 20 years but after talking to some of you at the Allington Farm Cherished vehicle show this year you have given me faith. I am purchasing a larger windscreen, thanks dave_bence, and talking to SW Auto Trimmers for a lower seat and side screens so I can actual sit in the car instead of on top of it (as some of you noticed) I am also talking to Camber Dave to get the wheel alignment sorted. Its going to cost me a bit but I just cant bear to part with it so you guys will probably be seeing more of me. Shame about the wife and kids.

Gary RH7

Well done that man ;D

Iancider

Well done Gary RH7,

You made the right decision!

Ian