Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Mazda SDV westfield build in pill, bristol

Started by jc249u, 28, February, 2015, 08:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jc249u

Hi

Just started my first build of mazda based SDV westfield in pill, bristol.

I bought a 1999 1.6 mazda with 70,00 miles and spent two fun weekends stripping it down. It was a bit rushed as the owner needed the space back but the engine came out easily. The haynes manual stated that it was not possible to remove engine/gearbox as a single unit. I didnt seam to have any problem after I cut the front off the mazda  :) had to cut the propshalf in half as the nuts were rounded off. I've sold a fair few bits from the mazda that I know I dont need like the doors, seats, etc

Was way to excited and fit the westfield the pannels in a weekend. There was little bits of tinkering to get them to fit. GRP inner footwell panel was missing and I will contact westfield to track it down. It seams from other posts that this is commonly left out! 

fitted the pedals, brake and clutch master cylinders, brake lamp switch and will get to fit the fuel and brake lines when the clips arrive.

really struggling to get the bushes in the wishbones. broke a vice trying to press them in. Will have a go with a proper press.

the sleeves for the diff are super tight as well and I'm not sure if they are the right ones. Any advise?

Hope to come along to the queen square to say hello

Cheers Jon

Moleman

Hi John welcome to the club. It will be great to see your build come together so feel free to show us pictures of it as it progresses.
You are must welcome to come to any of our meets & events as sometimes it's good to get idea's as your project is coming along.
Colin.

Bulldog Bri

Great to have you on board and welcome.

Hope you have tons of fun building and post lots of pics, you'll find it good for motivation and encouragement through the slower parts of the build. ;)

8)

longtimecoming

Hi John, welcome to the club, you'll find lost of advice and help from lots of members, if and when you need it.

fullpint

Welcome along Jon.. I have a press at my works unit which your more than welcome to use.. Trouble is its not in Bristol!! But if your in the Melksham area on a week day you can pop by and use it  :D ;D

Iancider

Welcome from me too Jon

I am not too far from you so if you want a bit of support I am only to happy to poke my nose in.

Please post some pics when you are ready.

Regards
Ian

garry h

Welcome to the club Jon you will find plenty of support and help from all of the members  :)

robp

Quote from: jc249u on 28, February, 2015, 08:44:43 AM

really struggling to get the bushes in the wishbones. broke a vice trying to press them in. Will have a go with a proper press.

the sleeves for the diff are super tight as well and I'm not sure if they are the right ones. Any advise?

Hi Jon,

Exactly the same happened to me when building my first Westfield!  I managed to knacker a great big bench vice.  I think it was some cheap Chinese thing though! 

Also, in my haste to get the build going, I mixed up the different bushes for the wishbones and the diff holder on the chassis. (they have a different internal diameter).  Getting the wrong bush back out the chassis was a nightmare.  :-[

Camber Dave

Hi Jon

Welcome to the forum.

Diff bushes - Do you mean the dowels between the Diff and Power frame.
If so they have an internal thread. Screw a bolt or stub and use a spare nut to extract the dowel.
Its a non standard thread (M14 x 1.25 pitch so difficult to get hold of)

I made up a tool to do the job.  contact me  if you need to borrow it.

If you mean the main mounting bushes you can get Void fillers  (see superflex SF241-2875K) that negate the need to remove bushes with soft rubber. They also do replacement bushes. (SF241-2876K), Just burn out the old ones.

jc249u

Hi

Thanks for the welcome.

I managed to borrow a press and all the suspension bushes are in. Thanks for the offer though.

I am still having trouble sorting out which sleeves fit inside the diff for the diff mounting plate. Have posted a picture of the diff with the rough location of the sleeves.

Cheers Jon

Camber Dave

Hi Jon

Are those sleeves new ones that came in the kit from Westfield?
That little hole in the side of the diff is where an M6 bolt goes to hold the sleeve while the M14 bolt is screwed in.

The Mazda ones have an internal thread as noted in my previous post.
I have just checked my manual but I can't extract the section you need.
Its on page 412 (of 1273!) PM me and I will copy the PDF to you.

I have my MX5 on the lift for a few more days and a spare diff on the floor.
Come over and see how it comes apart.

Dave