News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hydraulic hand brake

Started by Dixie, 02, October, 2009, 09:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixie

Does anyone know if a hydraulic hand brake will pass a MOT?

ta

Mark

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Dixie on 02, October, 2009, 09:44:04 AM

ta

Mark

Mark. I'm no expert on MOT requierments, but as I see it, as long as everything is secure and stops the wheels from turning under load, then I cant see a problem.

Do you need more handbrake power? Could be just sticking cables. I have the same problem.

PhilW

You will have to keep a cable operated brake as well.

Dixie

Quote from: G & Toniq on 02, October, 2009, 11:42:27 AM

ta

Mark

Mark. I'm no expert on MOT requierments, but as I see it, as long as everything is secure and stops the wheels from turning under load, then I cant see a problem.

Do you need more handbrake power? Could be just sticking cables. I have the same problem.

The N/S rear drum brake doesnt work on the hand brake, O/S is fine.  Tried all sorts, may just need to get a new handbrake assy for the drum?  Its a Cortina axle, any ideas.

Thanks  Mark

'The Gaffer'

Sounds like something has siezed up to me.

You could try taking the cables off and making sure they pull freely through the outer, could be just the way they are routed as well?

You may have to just make a small adjustment to the drum?

Has the handbrake worked perfectly before?

YellaBelly

Mark, what do you mean by 'all sorts' ?

Have you checked for wear in the drum pivot, movement in the support bracket at the handbrake lever end?

Just a couple of ideas.

JB

Dixie

Quote from: G & Toniq on 02, October, 2009, 03:14:33 PM
Sounds like something has siezed up to me.

You could try taking the cables off and making sure they pull freely through the outer, could be just the way they are routed as well?

You may have to just make a small adjustment to the drum?

Has the handbrake worked perfectly before?

Was working fine, then I took the axle out.  Never worked properly since.  The self adjuster is a bitch to set up and generally doesnt work, cables are free.  Really stuck.

Mark

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Dixie on 02, October, 2009, 08:29:31 PM
Was working fine, then I took the axle out.  Never worked properly since.  The self adjuster is a Censored to set up and generally doesnt work, cables are free.  Really stuck.
Mark

Logic tells me then its the drum moving parts or adjuster, especially if self adjuster is a Censored to set up. Maybe its simply worn out?

Are shoes still good?

Mont.ster

With reguards to an hydraluic handbrake passing an MOT, officialy it won't.  The handbrake has to be a mechanical linkage seperate from the hydraluic system so if you loose your hydraluics there is still a mechanical back up to stop the car.  A loophole exists that if your mechanical linkage (cables) and your hydraluic linkage are both attached to the handbrake lever the MOT tester should pass and advise on the fact that the mechanical linkage was supplimented by the hydraluic system.  This may not always be the case and you may find certian MOT testers will fail the car on this point. 

Bulldog Bri

Great bit of advice there. Have you had experience of this yourself then?

8)

Mont.ster

My experiance is from actually being an MOT tester.

'The Gaffer'

fcmmotorsport

ta

Mark

hi mark i will write it strait out of the testers guide mate.
hydrolic parking brakes as a sole means of opperationare not acceptable on vehicles first used on or after 1st jan 1968. how ever they may be used to assist the application or release of a mechanical brake.
hope that clears it for you mate

Dixie

Quote from: fcmmotorsport on 19, October, 2009, 09:06:44 PM

ta

Mark

hi mark i will write it strait out of the testers guide mate.
hydrolic parking brakes as a sole means of opperationare not acceptable on vehicles first used on or after 1st jan 1968. how ever they may be used to assist the application or release of a mechanical brake.
hope that clears it for you mate

Thanks very much.  Mechanical it is then. ;D