News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Started by foggy@smr, 29, July, 2015, 12:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy@smr

Hi all,

A quick introduction.... 
Based in the Forest of Dean and currently in the process of searching for a Raw Stricker to become the new car for the change of motorsport direction...
After around 20 years of rallying in several brands of car, the call has been made to move off the gravel and onto some smooth tarmac with a venture into Hillclimb, Sprinting and a few trackdays.. Maybe some Autosolo's as well...
The current rally mobile is up for sale and something small, light with a bit of go is called for, hense the Raw, as only 20 miles from where they are made.... Thought about Caterhams and Westfields, but the costs have to be taken into account....

As soon as one that fits the bill is found, will let you know...

sanzomat

Welcome. Don't know much about Raw Strikers but someone on here will!

I try to spectate the Wyedean most years (also marshalled way back in the 80's) so you might have thrown gravel at me! What was your rally car? I lived in Mitcheldean for a few years in the late 80's/early 90's so whilst I can't claim to be a forester I do know something of the ways (won't mention the bear!)

Moleman

Hi & welcome to the club. We are planning a few trips out as well as track days this year so feel free to come along to see what it's all about. I have been known to do a bit of off roading myself on track days so that might be right up your street. :P

Iancider

Welcome foggy@smr,

You have come to the right place - we are a friendly bunch with widespread interests form run-outs, shows and motorsport events.  As Moleman says take a look at the calendar for a our current events and please come along to meet us and you will get to see a huge array of cars,  Perhaps out biggest event of the year for you si coming soon - August 17th we have booked castle combe for the day.  We are fully subscribed for drivers but it would be a good time to see our cars in action and who knows perhaps some passenger rides too.  We have several members near you so hopefully they will introduce themselves to you.

Enjoy the club
Ian

Facial Hair Optional

F-o-D, beautiful area to live in.

If you are after a 7 style car you have a massive choice!!! I keep tabs on ebay stats and at this time of year there are on average about 150 cars on sale in the kit car section on any one day plus about another 115 on pistonheads. A very large % of these are 7 style kits.

Don't forget stuff like Fisher Furys and Sylvas etc plus there are many other types of 'unusual' kits out there if you keep your eyes peeled. Talking of eyes peeled, if you go the aeroscreen route (which is my choice) buy some good sunglasses or goggles and of course a helmet (which I guess you must already have having been rallying?)

Welcome aboard  :D :D

foggy@smr

Thanks all for the welcome.
Was competing in the BTRDA 1400 championship, but due to massive rule changes have called it a day.
Here's the car, a Citroen Saxo S1400

Did some digging over the last few months and being told that either Caterham, Westfield or the Raw is the best way to go, so still looking at eBay and other sites to find the right start point.
Off to Raw again tomorrow as they have a proposal for the team  :D
Saw the track day thread so may have a drive over and have a look if we are OK to get in.
Just need a change of helmets from open to closed face, everything else should be good.

Iancider

QuoteDid some digging over the last few months and being told that either Caterham, Westfield or the Raw is the best way to go

Foggy your are pretty well smack on with that comment.  I might be biased as a Westfield owner but I analysed the whole market before making my choice and I scratch-built from all new components.  The Caterhams are often factory built and cost more for any given spec.  I chose the Westfield because the Caterhams are too small for anybody much over 5 feet nine inches or of a wider girth.  The Strykers are great track cars.  Always be clear on what you are building or buying it for.  If you will bothered about weather and going out for fun runs you will need a roof and therefore a screen - if it is track dominated then aeroscreen is best but don't go fitting the interior with anything that doesn't like rain.

Fine days calculation: Assume 9 months per year operational - the norm.  That is 72 weekend days.  You will be otherwise busy for one day each weekend.  At most that gives you 36 possible days in the year plus any holiday you choose to chuck at you hobby.  That is a maximum of 46 days per year.  With a roof you will enjoy all of those.  Without a roof your distance in the day will depend on a clear forecast for the whole day.  As that is about 30 days per year and they wont coincide with your part weekends,  the number is possible down to 3-10 days per year - it is that bad.  So either fit a roof and screen OR make it a don't care car and by a motorcycle suit and a helmet.

If you are going to major on trackdays then you will need a trailer so you don't have to worry about getting home if you break it.  SIMPLES!

Regards
Ian

Gary RH7

3-10 days a year :o That sums my fair weather car up perfectly Ian. I think I have got up to 2600miles in 20 years now :'(

sanzomat

Ian makes a very good point about your ability to make use of your toy. Case in point - last Sunday's Castle Combe day with Bristol MC. With my Spyder I was able to attend and take considerable enjoyment from the day despite the foul weather. None of our other members showed up!! (well, not in their kit cars anyway). Having a roof (and in my case one that works and is easy to put up/take down) certainly extends the use of your car. Whether it introduces too much of a compromise in driving purity is another question though...

sanzomat

Just looked on the Wyedean Rally website. Hadn't realised the event had been dropped from the BTRDA championship for next year - thats a blow. Will the event still go ahead?

Moleman

Despite our lovely weather I do still clock up over 4000 miles a year in mine & it's not used as a normal run around.  :D

foggy@smr

Quote from: sanzomat on 30, July, 2015, 01:33:04 PM
Just looked on the Wyedean Rally website. Hadn't realised the event had been dropped from the BTRDA championship for next year - thats a blow. Will the event still go ahead?

The club are trying to organise an event to run at some point over the year within the forest, but one plus point is that it would not be bound by the rules concerning BTRDA events, i.e.. event mileage restrictions.. 40 competitive and 120 road miles max...

Have been to Raw in Hereford earlier and have been offered 2 cars from the stable as possibles, but both need work as neither are IVA'd. The Toyota powered car is mental ..

Spent a few hours online overnight last night, and have found a Westfield which ticks 2.5 of the 3 boxes that have set myself..

1: Road legal (IVA'd)  2: Decent engine 150bhp+ as a start  3: Condition of the whole package

The Westfield is the Q1800 version, which is 150bhp from the factory, is on a Q plate, mechanically sound but body work lets it down. The thing needs some love and attention, which makes it a perfect winter project. Use it now, and then strip and make it how I want it over the winter... The price helps there, as even without seeing it and just chatting on the phone, they guy has dropped the price £500 !!!!  :o

Decisions, decisions... lol

Moleman

Having one with the IVA is worth the extra money than having to go through the trouble of doing it yourself. It is easier the do the modifications you want to a car that is already road legal.  :)

benchmark51

Getting one with an IVA makes good sense.The IVA is worth £500 + on it's own.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 29, July, 2015, 04:21:38 PM
QuoteDid some digging over the last few months and being told that either Caterham, Westfield or the Raw is the best way to go

Foggy your are pretty well smack on with that comment.  I might be biased as a Westfield owner but I analysed the whole market before making my choice and I scratch-built from all new components.  The Caterhams are often factory built and cost more for any given spec.  I chose the Westfield because the Caterhams are too small for anybody much over 5 feet nine inches or of a wider girth.  The Strykers are great track cars.  Always be clear on what you are building or buying it for.  If you will bothered about weather and going out for fun runs you will need a roof and therefore a screen - if it is track dominated then aeroscreen is best but don't go fitting the interior with anything that doesn't like rain.

Fine days calculation: Assume 9 months per year operational - the norm.  That is 72 weekend days.  You will be otherwise busy for one day each weekend.  At most that gives you 36 possible days in the year plus any holiday you choose to chuck at you hobby.  That is a maximum of 46 days per year.  With a roof you will enjoy all of those.  Without a roof your distance in the day will depend on a clear forecast for the whole day.  As that is about 30 days per year and they wont coincide with your part weekends,  the number is possible down to 3-10 days per year - it is that bad.  So either fit a roof and screen OR make it a don't care car and by a motorcycle suit and a helmet.

If you are going to major on trackdays then you will need a trailer so you don't have to worry about getting home if you break it.  SIMPLES!

Regards
Ian

I see where you are coming from Ian but it does depend a lot on personal circs. I get out in mine once, sometimes twice every week near enough and have only ever been caught in the rain once, bloody Shearwater!!!  >:(

(I am single btw... no surprise there!!!)  ;D ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 30, July, 2015, 09:10:18 AM
3-10 days a year :o That sums my fair weather car up perfectly Ian. I think I have got up to 2600miles in 20 years now :'(

I managed 1500 miles in the last year and apart from Shearwater I've never been more than 20 miles or so from home!!!

In fact it's half 3 in the morning now and I am contemplating going out in it now!!!!  :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 30, July, 2015, 03:01:45 PM
Despite our lovely weather I do still clock up over 4000 miles a year in mine & it's not used as a normal run around.  :D
YAY GO MOLEMAN... attaboy Colin!!! Use it or lose it I say!!!!! Water will not kill you or your car (as long as you don't drive like Lewis Hamilton in it!) what the hell else are you gonna wash it with!!!!

Gary RH7

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 31, July, 2015, 03:29:51 AM

I managed 1500 miles in the last year and apart from Shearwater I've never been more than 20 miles or so from home!!!

In fact it's half 3 in the morning now and I am contemplating going out in it now!!!!  :P :P

Sooooo.. What you are saying is I have to get up at half three in the morning to get some miles on the clock. 8)

Think of it. Road to yourself, no idiots, no waiting for the sun, wife and kids asleep, you can "blat" to your hearts content.

Bloody good idea Facial Hair Option ;D

Facial Hair Optional

It's fab fun!! And if you don't like the dark, just wait an hour or so and it's sunny and the roads are still dead!!!  8) 8)

Iancider

Quote(I am single btw... no surprise there!!!)  ;D ;D ;D

Well that doubles your driving time and no kids doubles it again, no sense doubles it once more!

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 31, July, 2015, 05:28:30 PM

Well that doubles your driving time and no kids doubles it again, no sense doubles it once more!

Ian
When I say single I mean as in not married, not as in no women!! On the contrary dear boys!! And I have kids (single does not mean no kids these days Ian!). I live alone (thankfully) and hence my time is my own unless I choose otherwise (thankfully again) so I generally get to do what I want, when I want (thrice thankfully!!  :D :D :D)

As for no sense, well I guess that depends on your viewpoint. No nagging that's for sure!!!  :P :P

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 31, July, 2015, 09:47:13 AM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 31, July, 2015, 03:29:51 AM

Sooooo.. What you are saying is I have to get up at half three in the morning to get some miles on the clock. 8)

Think of it. Road to yourself, no idiots, no waiting for the sun, wife and kids asleep, you can "blat" to your hearts content.

Bloody good idea Facial Hair Option ;D

I'm roughly doing around 7-8,000 in mine each year but that is commuting to work as well with the car.

8)

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 31, July, 2015, 06:51:54 PM
Quote from: Iancider on 31, July, 2015, 05:28:30 PM

Ian
When I say single I mean as in not married, not as in no women!! On the contrary dear boys!! And I have kids (single does not mean no kids these days Ian!). I live alone (thankfully) and hence my time is my own unless I choose otherwise (thankfully again) so I generally get to do what I want, when I want (thrice thankfully!!  :D :D :D)

As for no sense, well I guess that depends on your viewpoint. No nagging that's for sure!!!  :P :P

I know, why buy a book when you can join the library ;D ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Why bother with books when you can date your own sexy librarian??!! Ok, gone too far now I know!!  :o :o :P :P

foggy@smr

Bit of an update .........

Car has been bought ......

Managed to get hold of a 2005 Westfield Q1800 at a very reasonable price...

The deal included the original 5 speed box, as the car has got a quaife 4 speed fitted, spare bonnet and several other panels, plus 8 Compomotive CXR wheels and Dunlop competition tyres....

Fair bit of stuff needs doing to car to get it to tip top shape but very happy... 8) 8) :P

Moleman

That's good news. When are you bringing it along to a meet then?

foggy@smr

Quote from: Moleman on 13, August, 2015, 10:12:22 PM
That's good news. When are you bringing it along to a meet then?

First thing to do is drop box out as the crank shaft seal has gone and its dropping some oil, so will get to a meet at some point .....

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club. I have given you a Saxo avatar until you fix the kit of your dreams and get some pics up :)

foggy@smr

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 14, August, 2015, 10:02:48 AM
Hi and a warm welcome to our club. I have given you a Saxo avatar until you fix the kit of your dreams and get some pics up :)

Thank you very much....

Will get some pics up when get chance as got to get her indoors back onside ... Lol

benchmark51

Quote from: foggy@smr on 14, August, 2015, 11:14:46 AM
Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 14, August, 2015, 10:02:48 AM

Thank you very much....

Will get some pics up when get chance as got to get her indoors back onside ... Lol

That time again, NOO SHOOZS :o ;D