+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Finally on the road

Started by Sparky3000, 06, June, 2016, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky3000

Couple of months after purchase ive finally got a 12 month ticket and have finally clocked up some miles which was fantastic  :D

The Tiger is starting & running quite well however ive now learnt of new faults so need a little help with the following

Brakes - Very poor & squeaky (no servo), any upgrades you recommend? How do i know what set-up is currently installed for spares?
Fuel Gauge - Tank is empty when gauge is showing half full
Speedo - dosent work & cant locate the sensor (gauge is wired correctly & has 2 wires running rearwards)
Filler Neck - Has a gap around the top so if you dont place hose directly into tank the fuel goes all over the top and tank and then on the floor  :o

P.S If these are not easy fixes would there be a garage you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Sparky3000

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Sparky3000 on 06, June, 2016, 11:30:49 AM
Brakes - Very poor & squeaky (no servo), any upgrades you recommend? How do i know what set-up is currently installed for spares?
Speedo - dosent work & cant locate the sensor (gauge is wired correctly & has 2 wires running rearwards)
Filler Neck - Has a gap around the top so if you dont place hose directly into tank the fuel goes all over the top and tank and then on the floor  :o

Thanks in advance

Firstly, congrats! As for brakes, I think the 1st thing I'd do is service what you have. Maybe change all the fluid, bleed them and fit new pads. Make sure the discs are all ok, not too pitted etc. I doubt you'll ever find a Tiger or 7 style kit with a servo, they just don't need one. The brakes on my Tiger feel a little soft and despite bleeding them there has been no change but they stop the car very well despite this.

Fuel gauge, well it depends what type. If digital then it may be set wrong, they usually have multiple resitance settings and you have to choose the correct one. Or if traditional it may just be the sender/float needs adjusting or replacing. Mine was a little out and I sorted it 99% by adjusting the float. Sometimes the float fills with fuel if it's old, in that case a new one is your best bet, cheap enough on kit car spares sites or from Tiger themselves.

Speedo - not sure on this one, usually the sensor is on the gearbox I think?

Vindicator

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 06, June, 2016, 05:25:42 PM
Quote from: Sparky3000 on 06, June, 2016, 11:30:49 AM

Thanks in advance

Speedo - not sure on this one, usually the sensor is on the gearbox I think?

Depends on the speedo type...if running from the original drive it's likely to be from a drive in the gearbox. Some digitals have magnets stuck to the propshaft to count revolutions and from there you calibrate from the distance travel in one wheel revolution.....Ian

Iancider

Sparky,

With the filler neck it is possible to find adapter hoses that will match different diameters.  If you use rubber they must be certified petrol safe but you can also use Silicone which is inert in contact with petrol. 
A quick search revealed these:  there are loads of suppliers - just key "silicone hose adapters"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221476468191?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9045620&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-146857549026&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Sparky3000

Thank you guys

This weekend will be spent jacking up brake inspections & googling 👍

Are any of you meeting on Sundsy @ queens square?

benchmark51

Queen Square cancelled because of music event. Will now happen on the 19th.

Facial Hair Optional

As it stands it seems that none of us are going due to the antics of various hooligans and the council who seem hell bent on getting itn shut down by sending traffic wardens in to book everyone.