News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Battery Info.

Started by paintman, 21, December, 2009, 08:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintman

I had an interesting conversation with a RAC woman yesterday. (The wife called them out because her central locking fobs would not unlock her car).

Turned out the battery was dead, (yes...she left the lights on!) and this affected the fobs somehow.

She told me she had been sent on a course about modern batteries which was very informative much to her surprise.

She told me that modern batteries should not lose voltage if left for up to 6 months unless there is a cell damaged.  They should not be left on a trickle charge (sealed ones will explode!!)  And if not abused (very short runs) should last for a minimum of 4 years`

Once a battery is fully discharged ... like the wifes, it is usually damaged and needs replacing. (It cost her £60 for a new one).

If what she said is true, there's not much point in having a battery charger. I just ordered one on line!  ::)

'The Gaffer'

Looks like we've all been had over ::)

I still intend to use my charger / optimiser though as it monitors the battery constantly and only charges in tiny milliamps when needed.

I also like the way my charger advises of battery condition and automatically tries to recover a bad battery or tells me its just no good anymore.

Apart from that, I just like gadgets.. even after what the RAC lady said :D

Hairy Santa

batts have a life of their own

many many times I have left this or that on all night - result totally flat batt  - place jump leads on from another motor, let the batt charge for 5mins or so until it will start the car - hey presto batt now OK until you leave something on again

of coarse it you do have one with a dicky cell in the first place, then it's already knackered

bet the AA lady didn't leave the batt with your wife, in the off chance she did get a charge into it or you will be throwing it away - dead handy as a back up, but they do like being discharged and then charged every so often

ps  could blow your fuse /circuit breaker on your charger if totally flat- if so use jump leads from your car to get the initia bit of charge into it

all the best

Pete 

'Mendip Wurzel'

Phil ..... You mentioned battery Optimisers. I have been thinking about getting one of these gagets for the winter months. Most of them seem to be for motor bikes with smaller betteries. Which type/model of optimiser are you using??
Kevin

'The Gaffer'

Hi Kevin.

I use the Oxford Maximiser 360T. It has a bike and car charge settings.

Multi-purpose Advanced Automatic Battery Optimiser
Triple mode, 7 stage charger
1. Tests battery connection polarity
2. Analyses your battery and diagnoses condition
3. Recovers gently even heavily discharged batteries
4. Bulk charges low batteries quickly
5. Checks voltage retention
6. Advises battery condition
7. Maintains battery with a low current if the voltage drops below a set limit
This product also boasts the following unique features:

* Charge Mode Option allows you, at the press of a button, to choose between 3 charge rates for MOTORCYCLE (600mA), CAR/BOAT (3600mA) and BOOST (for AGM batteries and cold weather charging)
    * Backlit LCD Display shows real-time charging rate. It shows both battery charge voltage and amperage
    * Battery Condition Adviser shows if the battery is able to hold charge or is in need of replacement
    * Free Wall Bracket and extra long cables make for ease-of-use in your garag

Got it from http://lidsdirect.co.uk/epages/eshop193014.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop193014/Products/Oxford_Maximiser_360T_Battery_Charger

I got very good service from this company and at a good price.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Thanks Phil,
They look good with settings for car & bike. I just found a place selling them for £39.99 so I may get one if you say they work okay...
Kevin 

paintman

I told this RAC mechanic that I intended using a conditioner on my Hood battery over Winter and she said it was a bad idea and unnecessary.  If the battery was in good condition with no continuous drain it should remain charged.

The "modern batteries" are unlike the batteries we are used to, the next stage being Lithium car batteries which would last for ages.  Probably the life of the car.   The technology is advancing all the time.....they ideally want us all in Electric cars don't they? :(