News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Anyone ever had an Endoscopy? I did this morning.

Started by 'The Gaffer', 14, May, 2009, 01:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Not car related, but anyone had an Endoscopy?

Its when they stick a bloody great tube with a light and a camera on the end down your throat into your stomach.

I had one done this morning in order for a biopsy taken. This was to confirm a condition called Celiac Disease.

This condition is not as scary as it sounds, people who have celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley. Celiac disease is both a disease of malabsorption—meaning nutrients are not absorbed properly—and an abnormal immune reaction to gluten. There are many symptoms including fatigue and the condition can just appear out of the blue.

Gluten is found mainly in everyday products such as bread, cakes, in fact 100's of everyday products.

Only cure is a completely gluten free diet, and that includes beer :(

Anyway. the Endoscopy has to have been one of the weirdest sensations I've ever had  :-\ not very pleasant at all, imagine trying to swallow a hose pipe!!

I opted for a throat spray, which numbs the throat, just like the dentists. You can have a full sedation but that knocks you out for the day.

The secret, they say is to remain calm, easy said, but thank god it only takes 10 mins as it feels like you are being strangled.  :o

So, just wondered if anyone has ever had this done and what you thought of it, or maybe you know someone with Celiac Disease?

Bulldog Bri

Sorry to hear of your condition there mate, one bright ray of light I can shine is that a freind of mine did try a Gluten free diet for a while and I was sure that he said there were Gluten free beer's on the market. Just did a quick google on it and there does appear to be quite a few...  8)

vinny1275

Shame to hear that G, as Bri says, there are gluten free beers out there. You need to be careful with so many things - burgers and sausages are generally filled with bread / rusk which contains wheat, so you'll even have to be on the lookout in the meat aisle! As it's a reasonably common complaint now, you should be able to find gluten free stuff fairly easily.

Good luck!

Cheers

vince

'The Gaffer'

Cheers guys, thanks for the support.

The good thing is wine is fine ;D although I do enjoy a beer or two. I will try a gluten free one and report back.

Yeah a few supermarkets have a 'Free From' section just for Celiacs so should be ok. Gonna make my own bread too.

Interestingly, even some shampoos etc have gluten in them so will have to be very careful reading every label.

Could be worse, and at least I know why I was getting tired.

vinny1275

I have to admit, I've not seen many gluten free beers in pubs - looks like you might have to be duty driver at the club meets ;D

/runs for cover

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: vinny1275 on 14, May, 2009, 03:38:08 PM
looks like you might have to be duty driver at the club meets ;D

/runs for cover

lol, hey dont take advantage of a man when he's down  :P

YellaBelly

Yup, had it done myself a good few years ago, I opted for sedation and it was the weirdest thing I ever experienced. Seemd like I was choking but not really able to do anything about it!

Not recommended for the squeamish :o

Had a bl**dy sore throat for about a week afterwards!

JB

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: YellaBelly on 18, May, 2009, 02:21:51 PM
Yup, had it done myself a good few years ago, I opted for sedation and it was the weirdest thing I ever experienced. Seemd like I was choking but not really able to do anything about it!

Not recommended for the squeamish :o

Had a bl**dy sore throat for about a week afterwards!

JB

Yes it is very strange, I just hope I never have to have it done again, if I do I might try sedation but that sounds odd too  :-\

Still felt like I had a phantom pipe inside me all the next day.  :o

At least I could see the whole thing on a monitor and I have a souvenier picture  ;D