News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hi, starting a GTM K3 rebuild

Started by Sparkyb, 06, April, 2016, 03:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkyb

Hi,
I bought this last year as a fairly long term project.
After initial inspection I have decided on a complete rebuild and have bought a MGF VVC as a donor.
It will require some  mods to fit, but should mean a more connected package.
I might come along to an evening meeting (from Chippenham) to see what other members have done with theirs. Especially GTM or other mid engine builds

Cheers
Mark

sanzomat

Hi Sparkyb,

I've got a GTM Spyder that I've just transplanted a VVC into over the winter. Its pretty much a straight swap on the Spyder but there may be some things that I can offer advice on, e.g. cable gearchange conversion.

If you take a look on the GTMOC there is a guy called Paul who had been installing a VVC into a K3 over the winter. He's put up a good thread with lots of pictures that I'm sure will be of use to you although as he's in Norfolk probably too far to view in person.

I'm planning to be at the riverside tomorrow and will probably bring the Spyder.

'The Gaffer'

Hi Mark and a warm welcome to our club. You will find a very helpful bunch here :)

sanzomat

http://www.gtmdrivers.com/forum/paul-s-k3-t2686-180.html

Here's a link to Paul's K3 thread on GTMOC. I expect there will be lots of use to you there and Paul's a nice bloke who I'm sure would give you lots of directly relevant advice.

Things I can help you with are advice on the gearchange as mentioned above as you'll probably be best to ditch the rod change (assuming your K3 has an R65 box and you'll us the PG1 from your MGF donor) and use the cable set up from the MGF. Also, if you are changing from R65 to PG1 you'll need to either make an adaptor bracket to mount the PG1 to the Metro sub frame mount or alter the subframe to take the MGF PG1 mounting. I might also be able to giv some advice on the wiring if you get really stuck but my hair is only just growing back after sorting mine out!!! Is your donor's ECU a mems 2.0 or mems 3.0 - there are differences.

Gary RH7

Hi and welcome to the club. Good to see someone else from Chippenham.
Dont know if i can make the meet tonight as i have just had a snall operation and a little drugged up. I will PM you later when they let me out to see if we can arrange something for tonight.
Gary

Sparkyb

Hi,
thanks for the warm reception. I have been following Paul's thread on GTM Drivers forum. and was relieved in some ways to see he has ditched the metro fuel tank and "hacked" the tub to fit the VVC engine in. This looked like the sensible thing to do, but often the "sensible-thing" and reality live in different worlds.

It is early days for me, as I have to dismantle and remove all the Metro bits, then offer up the MGF bits and see what needs doing to make them fit or replace.

If I get really carried away I might try to fit the K-series turbo (hence the interest in hacking the tub). But I guess I should get a passengers ride in a VVC engine kit to see if there is any need. It would make an interesting car.

I can't make tonight's meeting, as I am taking my son climbing in Swindon, but I will make an effort to get to the next one.

Thanks again
Mark

Gary RH7

Hi Mark if tonight is a no go I will not PM you yet but next time if you want a lift in my Hood, no problems as I should be back on the road by then.
Try and make the Moleman's meet on the 25th at Combe. Just turn up and meet us all. Will defiantly be a fun day.

Cheers,
Gary

CC Cyclone

Hello, In Castle Combe so not far away. Got a mid-engine project on the go but ford based rather than rover. Good luck with it and hope to see you about.

sanzomat

Quote from: Sparkyb on 07, April, 2016, 09:21:53 AM
If I get really carried away I might try to fit the K-series turbo (hence the interest in hacking the tub). But I guess I should get a passengers ride in a VVC engine kit to see if there is any need. It would make an interesting car.

I know that the turbo K series doesn't fit in the Libra and even worse in the Spyder due to the rear bulkhead stiffening. In the K3 you'll be cutting the tub anyway so I guess anything is possible but I'd be worried about how close the turbo would be to the fibreglass.

If you aren't using your VVC engine then another option is to go with a Honda B18 or B20 - people (including GTM themselves) have put these into Libra's and it is possible to install a rotrex supercharger and get over 300bhp.

If you want a ride in my VVC Spyder (should be a reasonable comparison for a K3) let me know. I'll be at Combe on 25th

Sparkyb

Hi Sanzomat,
I would love a ride in your GTM and to have a chat.
I have booked the 25th off to come along and have a good look over everyone else's cars.
I need some inspiration and to get going.
Too many house and In-laws related jobs getting in the way of late.

Cheers
Mark