News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hiya

Started by colda, 21, September, 2009, 08:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colda

Hi all

I'm Darren, always had a passing interest in kit cars and back in the 80's was very keen but alas this only amounted to buying magazines and dreaming of my first car being a kit.

Between 2000 and 2005 we (wife, kids and myself) were based in Switzerland and I picked up a mk1 Golf Cabriolet which was simply awesome, sadly she was not in the best condition  and we had to part company shortly before a return to old blighty. Now I'm finding myself wanting the open top life again, I've thought about getting a classic but running costs, parts etc put me off, I'm looking to use it as my main car so will be doing 15-20k miles per year so all in all murdering a classic probably isn't the best idea. So, my attention turns to the idea of a kit equipped with a sensible diesel engine.

As it's been so very long since I last looked into the idea it's best to consider me a total newbie :)

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'm looking for the following:

- What good options are available in a classic roadster style? I'm aware that the Sierra is a common donor car these days and have owned a Sierra in the past, size is a consideration as I'm 6' 7" (and still undertall for my weight), I'm assuming that if the Sierra is used then size wise I'll be ok (as I'm comfortable driving one)

- I'd be looking to buy as time, ability and the benefit of wisdom telling me that if I tried to build myself it would be yet another part complete kit on ebay in a year or two and I'd be in danger of a divorce - with regards to buying how does buying a completed kit compare with paying someone to do the build?

- What should I be considering for a rough budget? I'm far more interested in having something practical than pretty, it'll be spending it's life on roads not showgrounds. I'd rather pay more up front to have something that I want (that's cheap to run and maintain) over cutting corners at the time of purchase

Cheers

Darren

Bulldog Bri

Hiya Darren.

Best thing really for you to do is get to one of the shows, the Exeter show is the last one left to go to this year in November. Try out some of the cars down there and see which one you like the style of and the ease and comfort of the car, alot of the classic styles are quite tight for getting in and out of (try before you by) espesially for the taller bodied person.
Some kits are now going over to BMW parts, so therefore should be good for high mileage as well. Desiel! Not heard of anyone doing one of those but can't see why that would be a problem if thats what you wanted.
Really though, get to a show and/or come along to a club meeting if your local.

All the best with it and let us know how you get on.

8)

Richard

Hiya  :D

"undertall for weight"  now there is a common complaint !

Diesel is less popular in kit cars, if you are thinking of that route then I'd add a few opinions for you to consider.
Older diesel model cars are just loads behind the more modern ones, this in my view limits the choice to a more modern donor vehicle.
Many kits have exhausts that do not go to full rear of car, ingress of fumes therefore is more likely at idle so perhaps you are looking for a design with exhausts that go fully to back of car.
At taller than a fence panel you really do need to try them, so back to visit kit car show / clubs.

If Diesel is brought about running costs don't forget that the low weight of kit cars means you get decent performance from relative small engine petrol when compared to road cars, there are a few small petrol engine kits in this club that can tame so very powerful and expensive road cars, so the running cost of a smaller modern petrol e.g. Honda vtec / BMW is still going to give a good turn of speed and fun. Just checking your motivation for a oil burner  ;)

If you went for a more practical kit that has a decent boot and hard top, still want diesel then my guess is your choices become more limited especially as I haven't been thinking about that height when trying them out.

Not very pretty in my view but may fit your need would be the Evolution from GKD(I'm building another of their cars), definitely fit one of those rather lively 3.0l/ 2.0l BMW diesel engines in it, or of course an M3 engine, not sure on height though, but more of an everyday car.

Dakar 4x4 could be a fun option and I suspect use a diesel from Range Rover, not sure if it is what you had in mind but bet you would fit.

Regent tourer being LTi based will surely have diesel option and would stand out, and again a tonne of headroom !

Jaguar XKSS or SS100, perhaps size wise only XKSS.

There you a few thoughts to start playing with.

Best guess would be £15k + at least but not looked into these that much.

Enjoy hunting around, why not ask your question to one of the magazines like TotalKitCar where that link I gave you took you or perhaps CompleteKitCar etc. etc.

gingerpaul

A couple of points worth making.

Firstly just because a car uses a Sierra as a donor doesn't mean it will have the same amount of space for a driver as a Sierra. My Rush is Sierra based and I barely fit in it. I'm only 6'1.

Secondly it might be worth investigating insurance options as you may find it hard to get insurance to do 15-20k miles a year.

To be honest unless you wanted to built it yourself I think you'd probably be better off with a production car of some sort. I'd be looking at an S2000 with the sort of miles you're talking about I think. If you wanted something more special then perhaps a TVR.

The trouble is not many kit cars are built with doing big miles in mind. No heaters, no radio, no roof, no windscreen, loud, smelly, small/no boot etc are all fine in a toy car but may be a problem in a day to day car.

All of that said you might want to look at the GTM Libra. It's Metro based mid engined coupe. They're not too expensive either.  :)

David H

Quote from: bulldog bri on 21, September, 2009, 09:06:42 AM
Hiya Darren.

Best thing really for you to do is get to one of the shows, the Exeter show is the last one left to go to this year in November. Try out some of the cars down there and see which one you like the style of and the ease and comfort of the car, alot of the classic styles are quite tight for getting in and out of (try before you by) espesially for the taller bodied person.
Some kits are now going over to BMW parts, so therefore should be good for high mileage as well. Desiel! Not heard of anyone doing one of those but can't see why that would be a problem if thats what you wanted.
Really though, get to a show and/or come along to a club meeting if your local.

All the best with it and let us know how you get on.

8)

I'll second this advice as its exactly what I did. Visit a show, it will save you a fortune on time to see it all under one roof. Sit in the cars and chat. Go for a full day and take your time. I bought a Westy after doing that as it was the one for me. Everyone is different though so your preference may be elsewhere. It was fun choosing!

colda

Some excellent and wise advise - thanks :)

Yeah, the fantasy is to have a fun car for day-to-day use and indeed the diesel idea is based on cheap running and nothing more.

From what I have discovered online today together with the feedback on here it's looking more like the best approach is to sod the compromises - as in keep the 50mpg proton thing for the motorway plod (maybe do some silly things to it as it doesn't really owe me anything and is of little sell-on value) and look for a kit that I can really enjoy of a weekend!

I'm blessed by the fact that my wife is well into the idea of tootling around the country in a roadster type thingy so looks like no stress on actually getting one :)

Am based in Swindon so Bristol isn't too much of a journey, and certainly aiming to be at the Exeter event

So, wiping the requirements slate clean (well size still to consider) any suggestions on where to start looking (models) - I know that the answers will be found in Exeter but am being impatient :)

The Marlin Roadster/Sportsters look rather nice and could certainly enjoy a Pilgrim 356

Budget wise, am leaning towards getting something a bit older and cheaper as a start, with a view to getting something a bit special a bit further along the line (when I really know what's going to be best)

YellaBelly

Hi mate and welcome to the loony bin :D

I'm lucky to be in the same boat as you in that the boss is very much into the kit car and wants to have as much to do with the build as poss :)

Where abouts are you in Swindon, we live near Brinkworth so not too far away from you. You are welcome to have a look at our Locost to give you an idea on what it may be like. It's actually the +442 version which is 4" wider, 4" longer and 2" taller than the standard book version. I am 6' 4" and I'm adjusting things to suit my frame.

JB

PhilW

I run a complete s^^t box for general getting about and just use the kit for fun, have a look through

Here

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=130

Here 

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=129

And here

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=447

And here

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=443

and see if anything catches your eye, then you will get an idea of what you like

'The Gaffer'

Great advise folks, Ive got nothing to add at all.

Maybe we may see you at Exeter Darren.

Richard

Spoke with Peter at GKD yesterday about a bit on my car and remembered to ask him regarding the height of drivers that fit inside the Evolution and he thinks 6'7" will fit comfortably inside it.

Give him a call, no harm in checking out that option.