News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Which way round for an Electric fan?

Started by longtimecoming, 25, January, 2015, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimecoming

Does any one know if there is such a thing as 'Best' way round to fit an electric fan to a radiator.
Will it work better blowing from the front or sucking from the engine side? I'm fitting mine to a 7 style car, so I have plenty of room for ether.
The fan I'm using can be fitted front or back.     :-* :-*

benchmark51

I have mine on the front of the radiator, that way means the fan motor is not subjected to the hot air passing
through the radiator

damouk

It depends on the fan, most are designed to blow or suck, I would check to see which way gives the better air flow and go from there

sanzomat

plus one to last post. I was reading up on upgraded fans and the ones I looked at come as either blow fans or suck fans and you have to choose which kind to buy. Unless yours is a universal one check the model number and find out if it has a preference for suckiing or blowing.

longtimecoming

Thanks for the comments so far. My fan is a Kenlowe and it comes with a blade that can be reversed to suit direction. I did consider mounting it behind the Rad' so not to cover the matrix, but a very valid point from benchmark51 to avoid overheating the motor. Oh dear decisions, decisions.   :-\

damouk

BUT... if you mount it on the front of the rad it gets the full brunt of rain, salt and dirt. Pass me that coin..!

paintman

I've kept the Viscus fan in the engine bay for normal driving and a universal fan in the nose cone which is turned on
in the event of traffic, hot weather or enthusiastic driving sucking in onto the radiator.

CC Cyclone

I have always been advised that they are much efficient fitted to the back of the rad and sucking, and only to fit in front if space behind is a problem. I have never seen any data to prove it but thinking about it trying to force air through something is always going to be harder than dragging it through from using a pressure difference?

'The Gaffer'

That makes good sense. Much easier to suck than blow plus the front of the rad is not obstructed with fan housing etc :-\

paintman

Quote from: CC Cyclone on 25, January, 2015, 07:54:26 PM
I have always been advised that they are much efficient fitted to the back of the rad and sucking, and only to fit in front if space behind is a problem. I have never seen any data to prove it but thinking about it trying to force air through something is always going to be harder than dragging it through from using a pressure difference?

But surely your going to end up with a very hot engine bay if your sucking the heat from the radiator into it. ::) ::)

sanzomat

Quote from: paintman on 26, January, 2015, 12:07:16 AM
Quote from: CC Cyclone on 25, January, 2015, 07:54:26 PM

But surely your going to end up with a very hot engine bay if your sucking the heat from the radiator into it. ::) ::)

The heat is going to end up in the engine bay whichever way round it is, unless the radiator is ducted separately from the engine bay. The radiator heat will struggle to get into the engine bay in my car as the radiator is at the front and the engine at the back (mid) ;)

longtimecoming

Now I'm really confused, (not that it takes a lot) I've just checked my own car, a SAAB and the fan is behind the Rad'. My neighbours car, a Range Rover, fan is in front and I might add the range Rover fan is about 6" from the front grill. I think I might just join 'damouk' and toss for it.  :-\

Lucky Ed

The fan you can see in the front of the Range Rover, is probably the condenser fan for the air con - sorry to add to the confusion ;D

paintman

The radiator is cooled with the air passing through the grill or nose cone when driving normally but when stationary the temperature rises due to no cooling air coming through the grill.

To prevent over-heating the electric fan will cut-in to simulate the normal cooling by sucking in cold air from out side and blowing it onto the radiator.

The fan would ideally be on the grill side of the radiator but some times there is no room so the fan is fitted inside the engine
bay......this is in my opinion how it works. ::)

damouk

How about fitting one both sides, so air can be blown out the nosecone when you are stationary and suck through when you are moving....  the possibilities are endless :D

longtimecoming

Lucky Ed.  You're not helping, even if you are right. ???

Bulldog Bri

All mine are behind the rad (engine side) leaving as much of the front face clear for fresh air to make contact, only in traffic the fan comes on to pull more air through. If you have something in front of the rad then you've effectively reduced the surface area of your radiator (that's how my little brain see's it anyway)  ;D

8)

longtimecoming

Fair comment Bri' that's the way I'm thinking as I have plenty of room behind the Rad'   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\