News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

France

Started by 'Mendip Wurzel', 18, July, 2015, 10:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Mendip Wurzel'

Just returned from a trip to France using the olde Kitcar..... did 715 miles on French soil with no major problems. Started in Normandy and went down through South Brittany via Le Mans. A nice little adventure....

Facial Hair Optional

8) 8) 8) Green with envy, wish I had that much confidence in my car!! (and wet weather gear!!)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 18, July, 2015, 10:17:06 AM
8) 8) 8) Green with envy, wish I had that much confidence in my car!! (and wet weather gear!!)
I guess every car has a purpose and my car would be useless on a track in comparison to many excellent set-ups on this forum. However, given the open road and comfort, that is when I probably score.
Thanks
Kevin
(PS: I did manage to drive around the Le Mans 24hr circuit reaching an amazing 40 mph.... that was as fast as my wife would allow).

And yep, we did go through some nice rain storms

Iancider

Mendip Wurzel - you now qualify as a Super-Hero Adventurer!

Well done to you both.

Ian

paintman

That old v8 must have reached nearly 2000rpm around the Le Mans circuit Kevin!! :o :o   Lol.... ;D

Did you take your dog??

Moleman

Sounds like a really cool trip mate. I wouldn't mind doing something like that.  8)

Iancider

QuoteSounds like a really cool trip mate. I wouldn't mind doing something like that.

Whack it on the list for next year!

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: paintman on 18, July, 2015, 05:58:12 PM
Did you take your dog??
Tone .... no we never took the dog, however loads of people did take their dog. It seems to be the 'in' thing to do these days. The dog is actually issued with a Passport.

I am told it is not possible to build a kit car in France due to their car regulations, so the Lotus 7 look is very rare in France, unlike over here, so you can imagine the interest you get from the public.   

Bulldog Bri

Yeah I know what you mean, the Bulldogs always get lots of interest as well. :P

8)

Hairy Santa

sanzomat

Sounds a lot of fun - how many days did you spread your 715 miles over? I got back yesterday from a road trip to Italy via France and Switzerland. I clocked up just over 2000 miles in 8 days but 1800 of those miles were the journey down and the journey back, two days each way, then 6 days doing much less! I don't think I would have survived all that driving if it had been in the GTM and I suspect its comfy compared to most 7's. It would be great to have the time to do a similar trip in the kit cars but making the journey the point and keeping it to just a couple of hundred miles a day. I can recommend including the Grimselsee and Simplon passes in any trip - both over 2000m high and fantastic views, getting above the snow line even in July! Lots of tunnels to let rip and enjoy the reflected engine noise too.

jmad

We did the south of France and western Italy on Motorbikes. We got an overnight train from Calais to Nice with the bikes/cars on, arrived in the morning all nice and fresh and saved ourselves the 800 mile slog. Not sure if that's still an option as this was 20 years ago.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: sanzomat on 20, July, 2015, 01:51:23 PM
Sounds a lot of fun - how many days did you spread your 715 miles over? I got back yesterday from a road trip to Italy via France and Switzerland. I clocked up just over 2000 miles in 8 days but 1800 of those miles were the journey down and the journey back, two days each way, then 6 days doing much less! I don't think I would have survived all that driving if it had been in the GTM and I suspect its comfy compared to most 7's. It would be great to have the time to do a similar trip in the kit cars but making the journey the point and keeping it to just a couple of hundred miles a day. I can recommend including the Grimselsee and Simplon passes in any trip - both over 2000m high and fantastic views, getting above the snow line even in July! Lots of tunnels to let rip and enjoy the reflected engine noise too.
The wife and I did the trip over a period of 1 week. I limited the driving to not much more 100mls in a day because as you say it gets too uncomfortable, and I wanted to keep things easy and not create an expedition. I have done that too many times in the past in trying to be too adventurous which can spoil things.