News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Kit car virgin!

Started by Newbietoo, 10, June, 2016, 07:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbietoo

Dear all, just wanted to say hi. 

I'm a true newbie to kitcar ownership, hankered after one for years but was always too tied up with bikes.  Anyway... I've just bought a bike engined car instead (VStorm with Aprilia V-twin) as I thought it would be the best of both worlds!  Just getting used to it now and need to sort a few things out (do all bike engined cars run so hot?) but look forward to hopefully getting to know a new side of life and you all.

Cheers, Andy F 

Vindicator

Welcome Andy.......there are a few BECs and a Vstorm in the club....take a look at Damouk (re)build diary.....Ian

Newbietoo

Thanks mate, I will do.  Mine was part built by the (original} factory, been a lot of fun so far but a few things I want to sort out which I guess is par for the course with such things!

Hopefully catch up with you all at a meet soon, once I've moved the car up from where I'm hiding it in Devon.  I have to clear my garage of the motorbikes first.... 

Vindicator

Quote from: Newbietoo on 10, June, 2016, 08:22:19 PM
Thanks mate, I will do.  Mine was part built by the (original} factory, been a lot of fun so far but a few things I want to sort out which I guess is par for the course with such things!

Hopefully catch up with you all at a meet soon, once I've moved the car up from where I'm hiding it in Devon.  I have to clear my garage of the motorbikes first....

Always things to do with a kit, although I've been lucky so far  :)  The group will be at the Classic and retro day at Castle Coombe on 25 June. There are always people willing to give good advice so don't be afraid to ask.  Feel free to post a few photos when you have a mo.......Ian

damouk

Hi Newbietoo,

I have the WR3 v-storm which is probably quite a lot different to the BEC version, but many of the WR3's have had problems with running hot, fortunately I seem to have solved mine for the best part. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help if I can. unfortunately I am quite a way from you up in Gloucester.

Newbietoo

Thanks, will do. 

I'm not very good with this modern technology, don't know if these pictures of the car will work?

Cheers

fullpint

Welcome along Andy, 3td try now at a reply!!! I seem to have trouble when making replies :(  BEC is the way to go, I'm missing mine big-time!!!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Newbietoo on 10, June, 2016, 07:37:36 PM
Dear all, just wanted to say hi. 

I'm a true newbie to kitcar ownership, hankered after one for years but was always too tied up with bikes.  Anyway... I've just bought a bike engined car instead (VStorm with Aprilia V-twin) as I thought it would be the best of both worlds!  Just getting used to it now and need to sort a few things out (do all bike engined cars run so hot?) but look forward to hopefully getting to know a new side of life and you all.

Cheers, Andy F
Welcome Andy/ My BEC never runs hot, in fact it is always spot on. The fans have only ever come on twice since I've owned it and it always stays around 79 to 83 degrees 99% of the time.

As Ian says, Damo (damouk) is probably the expert on V storms in the BKCC, I think his engine is a Subaru turbo though.

Newbietoo

Thanks all, really appreciated.  I will be picking all of your brains shortly I think!

nojjer

Welcome, great looking car!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Newbietoo on 10, June, 2016, 08:51:03 PM
Thanks, will do. 

I'm not very good with this modern technology, don't know if these pictures of the car will work?

Cheers

I recognise that car from ebay I think? Looks very nice mate. So, you have an exoskeletal car AND it's a BEC, hmmmm, inspired choice my friend  :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: fullpint on 10, June, 2016, 08:54:34 PM
Welcome along Andy, 3td try now at a reply!!! I seem to have trouble when making replies :(  BEC is the way to go, I'm missing mine big-time!!!
I feel for you Steve. Buy another - you know you want to!!!  ;D ;D

For some reason I had trouble replying to this thread too, I posted my reply about Damo ages ago and it only appeared AFTER Damo had posted so now I look like a total div!!! Some kind of time delay happened it seems. Ah well, all's well that ends well.

fullpint

I'm still not 100% sure which route to take :) A customer yesterday offered me his Cobra rep, 351 lump, TVR chassis with a RAM body.. But the biker in me wants another BEC :) :)

benchmark51

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: fullpint on 11, June, 2016, 02:01:22 PM
I'm still not 100% sure which route to take :) A customer yesterday offered me his Cobra rep, 351 lump, TVR chassis with a RAM body.. But the biker in me wants another BEC :) :)

Decisions, decisions!!! Chalk and cheese though Steve aren't they.

Iancider

Welcome newbietoo

Great car.  If it is water cooled it should stay a the right temperature if all is well.  If you struggle with it give us a shout there are plenty of people willing to help.

Newbietoo

Dear all,

Thanks for the warm welcome, I wish I could take any credit but all bought fully finished but not yet 'sorted' as it's only done a few hundred miles so far.  Ref temperature the dash (Aprilia) is showing it hovering around the 100 degrees mark (and occasionally over) but I used to ride a KTM 1200 bike til I got too old and that used to do the same so not sure if it is anything major to worry about?  Engine has been fitted with a Power Commander ECU so not sure if that needs setting up properly, does anybody know of a local to North Bristol company with experience of these I could give a try?    Cheers

Facial Hair Optional

Give InterPro at Thornbury a ring, I'm sure they could help set up.

Newbietoo

Thanks mate, will do. 

Hopefully sorted clearing my garage at home out now to make some space so I can bring the car up from its hiding place in Devon and start tinkering.  Just the clutch pedal to sort then as well, as currently it occasionally goes completely flat with no response, hopefully just an air lock...  I think an earlier post saying there is always something to be done on a kit could well be true!

damouk

I have a peddle box and mc's sat doing nothing of you need any parts

Newbietoo

Damouk,

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it.  I'll give you a shout if needed once I figure out what's going wrong!

Andy F

benchmark51

I have had to re-do my pedal arrangement recently. I have an adapter on the throttle to allow for twin cables and it came a little too close to the clutch cable connection. At certain positions, when in use, they would touch. I have moved the twin cable adapter 20mm away now. Next problem is when using the throttle the 'Sytec' linkage tries to lift the bonnet off! Going to have to take a bit off I think.

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club :)

Newbietoo

Thanks, it certainly seems like you're an enthusiastic bunch by what I've read on the forum so far (and a fount of knowledge!).  As soon as I'm happy with the car I hope to come to one of the meets soon and pick some of your brains face to face :)