News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Initial post from a 'newbie'

Started by Old Biker, 01, January, 2010, 10:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Biker

Hello to all the group.  In the process of buying a car after being literally beaten off my motor bike (Blackbird) in Aug 09.  Unfortunately leg still broken but I believe it is making good progress after yesterdays op and I should be good to go in the next few months.  I am hoping that a good car will give me most of the exhilaration with more life expectancy!  Not been able to get in a car to date because of the leg but I am sure size will dictate which car I get.  I am 6'3", 16st with size 13 feet so I will take advice on which cars I am likely to fit in.  I think I am looking for either a Westfield, a Tiger or an MNR because I think certain models within these ranges can accomodate me comfortably.  I will gladly take advice through your experience because I am sure there are plenty of bigger blokes out there with these cars.  I intend to get up to Keynsham for the next meeting to meet the group.  Not for the purists I know but I will be buying a ready made (second hand) car because my bike shed is not quite big enough to aid a decent build.  Thats an excuse really.  I just want to turn the key and go!  Look forward to your advice.

paintman

Welcome Old Biker.    Sorry to hear about your accident.   I think you're find a kit car a good subtitute.    You could get one with a Fireblade in it or maybe you could salvage your Blackbird engine and slot it in.....that would be the next best thing. :D

Bulldog Bri

Hello and welcome to the club. Hope the leg mends soon for you.

As regards a car for you, a good idea would be to try and test fit youself in to a few first as some other members have found that some of these cars can be a little cramped for the larger framed person. I'm sure anyone at the meetings would let you try for size also have you been to any of the shows yet?

Take it steady and we'll see you at the meetings.

8)

Old Biker

Thank you for the quick responses.  I have looked at the BECs.  The Blackbird engine is a good one but not really confident (despite plenty of evidence) about its reliabilty dragging a 500 kg car around instead of a 220 kg bike.  The clutch will be working hardas well as the rest of the engine!  The money I have lined up for this is not extravagent and the BEC are a step up in price as you know.  Not closed to the idea but there is some reservation.

I would welcome the chance to get in a car when the time comes.  Currently without a cast as part of the ongoing work so a possibility now although not too comfortable with a partially shaved leg. Not a good look on a 46 year old bloke!

Richard

Big warm welcome !   ;D

Being a hopalong on icy patches must be an extra hassle at the moment, hope your recovery is quick and trouble free.

As for cars you can fit in, there are a few kits that can accomodate pretty big folks and some of course really can't. The pedal setup in many 7's seems to be a challenge on width of foot as much as anything.

I think the 6'3" thing has come up before on here but can't see the chat to link it at the moment.

I'm bound to say this but there is a GKD model which will easily take your size but it has been in my opinion a bit of a style challenge at the moment but I do know there is a re-styling coming to it that in sketches looks a vast improvement (my opinion of course).

You could always go Dakar but then that may not be what you are after.

Enjoy the car hunt, as others suggest get yourself to the spring kit car shows and that will really help narrow it down and you may even find for sale there a car just for you.

'The Gaffer'

Hi there and a warm welcome to the club :) Allthough things are a little quiet right now over the winter.

Hope you mend soon.

A BEC is a great compromise between a bike and a car, thats why I bought one. The missus not too happy with me on a bike, cant say I blame her really.

With a BEC you still get all the excitment of the revs and the sound but just that bit safer. I have a Fireblade 919 in mine and its fine for round town, some will say that lack of low end torque is a problem, but in my opinion its not.

As far as size goes, Richards advice of trying as many cars as possible is the answer. I am over 6ft and had a problem with a few 7's. I have even ended up having some structual work on my car to accomodate my big feet. There are cars that cater for the taller driver though, its just a question of finding them.

You could email all the manufactuers with a view to a big roadtrip to try the ones that sound promising, or wait till the Stonleigh show. 100's of cars there.

Look forward to seeing you on a BKCC run in the summer.

Old Biker

Thanks again for the input.  All inputs make sense although I am trying to resist the 'kid in a sweet shop' urge taking over me at the moment.  Also got to put garage style doors on my bike shed at the moment so I can get the car in when I buy it - not good when you are on crutches although neighbours are good as long as beer is involved!  Went to Exeter a few months back, that was a good intro for me wrt cars so the spring shows will be looked forward to.

Quite interested in getting out in the Tiger Cat E1 for hire through this Club (assuming I can get in it?).  That would be a good start.

Is the meeting at Keynsham next week definately on?

Bulldog Bri

Yes, the meeting is still on next week. We meet at the 'Lock Keeper' pub on the Keynsham road leading over to Hanham/Longwell Green at aroound 7pm.

So hope to see you there.  ;D

8)

YellaBelly

Hello and welcome to the club mate :)

Must admit, not quite as bad as you but I managed to drop my VFR750 in the crappy weather a few weeks ago, (had it for 9 years and never so much as a scratch, and I've been riding since I was a nipper) my own fault though and caused the mandatory plastics damage and as it's a Honda it ain't gonna be cheap :(

I did think it might be time to hang up the leathers as the roads, weather and driving manners are all pretty garbage nowadays, but I don't think I will sell her. Once it is time to take her off the road for good though, I may consider using the engine/gearbox as you have suggested. We'll see.

I am 6' 4" and 16st with size 11 plates, and I went for the McSorley +442 Locost (4" wider, 4" Longer and 2" taller than the book version). So far it's looking like it will be more than enough room for me. Aiming for completion by May this year so we will see :)

Anyway, welcome and I'm sure you'll have plenty off ideas and encouragement.

JB

Old Biker

Thanks for the confirmation about next week I will aim to get there.

The '442' build looks well advanced.  You have a lot more space than me so I still aim to buy directly into the experience.  I can only assume at this stage that there are 2 casts within the fraternity, those that have built and those that have not.  I will have to take the shame if this is the case!  I am sure it will be deserved.

Ridden my Mates VFR 750 - great machine with a decent turn of speed and so smooth with it.  His is the last model (on an R plate - 97 I think), done about 46K and is still running fantastically.  A lot to do with the gear driven valves I think.  Lucky escape with your off.  As you say you have got to be really careful this time of year with the combination of crap and ice on the roads!  I usually put mine away when the first salt goes down except when I'm being substituted for a skittle by a young lad 'who didn't see me'!  Still he got 5 points and a £65 fine so it was worth it!  Enough of that. 

Dave Silver or Jaws will sort you out with the bits but I expect you already know that. 

Hope the rest of your build goes well.

Richard

Quote from: Old Biker on 03, January, 2010, 03:28:32 AM
I can only assume at this stage that there are 2 casts within the fraternity, those that have built and those that have not.  I will have to take the shame if this is the case!  I am sure it will be deserved.

Wrong assumption. Just the one club and how you got your kit car is of interest only and has no bearing on any status or opinions, just a different route to get there.

Old Biker

Richard,

Thanks for that, I thought I would be 'belly up' for some banter.  Looking forward to meeting the group in the future.

Richard

Don't think for one minute though "banter" is off limits, you will soon learn that Two Breakfast Pete is very very real and perhaps needs an inflation linked increase in name  ;)

Old Biker

Yes, I thought that might be the case.  Makes it all the more fun.  Looking forward to meeting the characters as well.

Does anybody have any background on a seller going under the banner of 'Toybox' from Tamworth, Staffs?  Looking on Piston Heads, he is selling some good looking clean cars.  Not really got a firm idea on their prices as yet, or the specs but they look good and are very clean and well presented.

David H

Choosing a kit car is tough especially as everyone seems to have a different opinion on whats the best car. I have a Westfield and you mentioned in a previous post that it was one of your interests. My car would be too small for you as other different shaped people in the club have found BUT you can get kits to lower the floor pan from Westfield and extend the steering columns etc. Phil is a great example of 'making it fit' on his car. You can MAKE it fit if you like the car enough, to a point. Thats Kit Car ownership. The great thing about this club is the variety so I also suggest you jump in as many cars as you can to experiance them. I hear GKD are doing an M3 powered version.... There's not a lot of bike power that could produce that sort of value performance motoring. However, you'll have to build it. MK do a great range of BECs, its their speciality. They are good cars and you can pick up a nearly new one for relatively little compared to a build cost. What i will say is, as your used to pretty serious speed from your motorbikes, you will know that we tend to want more and more power. So, my advice would be to spend as much as you can at the start to get the highest spec possible as it will cost a lot more to do it retrospectively..... trust me. Although the process of tuning as i'm sure you already know, is half the fun for some.

Enjoy the process of buying, you'll know when you see it

Dave

Old Biker

Dave, Group,

Appreciate the sage words.  As you say, most of us enjoy a good turn of pace when safe and I have already gathered that you should buy as good as you can to prevent disappointment in that respect.  I am not a complete speed nut nor a professional driver/rider but as you mention, the bike (Blackbird) had a decent turn of speed when squeezed.  I have also had the pleasure of a short but exciting drive (as a passenger) in a friends Ariel Atom (165 BHP).  Had a big smile on my face but was deaf and I haven't got anywhere near that money to spend so that was counted out.  The GKD looks a decent strong car and there is currently one for sale on their site (1.8i).  I think what I need to do is experience the levels of performance from the various specs to see what I am happy with and then see if I can easily fit in the cars (with or without mods).  I am comfortable with the nuts and bolts bit as an aircraft engineer but very short of space.  Having said that, nothing is impossible.  I am looking forward to the buying process and happy to continue to take experienced advice from you and the other members of the group who have already commented.