+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Has Anyone Used the Ford 1.0 Ecotec Engine

Started by Quarrycars, 28, June, 2016, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarrycars

I'm starting to plan the next build - a Sonic 7, it's designed to use the Series 1 Ford Focus Zetec but I'm thinking the Ford 1.0 I3 Ecotec would be an interesting.  Has anyone had experience with this unit?  I assume it has a 'fly-by-wire' throttle and with the dual clutch PowerShift tranny it would not need the long throttle and shift cables.

'The Gaffer'

Wow, thats the 3rd build since you have been in the club 8)

Cant help on the technical side I'm afraid. 

aliwizard

its just the price ,at the moment I ask power torque at Stoneleigh about the price there saying about three and a half thousand ,add the gearbox and 1600 turbo and then the new ecu plus all the pluming your in to massive money and you will have about 160 bhp ,stick to the zetec, if you want a car engine ,

benchmark51

I read that the block is cast iron for quicker warm up and is the size of an A4 sheet, but probably pretty lightweight.

Vindicator

Read an interesting article about using the Toyota 998cc triple used in the Aygo. It's 67kg fully dressed and can be turbocharged up to 125 bhp with standard internals. Same weight as your average bike engine but 125lb foot torque......Ian

Quarrycars

Yea, I wouldn't consider the 'crate' engine, I'll be looking for a salvage Fiesta as donor.

I would really like to play with a bike engine but it would need chassis and body mods to fit the Sonic.

I don't think Toyota have sold a car in America with the I3 engine although interestingly I had a Daihatsu Charade in California back in the late '80s with the 1.0L 3, twin cam, 4 valve, port injection - great little engine.  I think it is somehow related to the Toyota engine.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Quarrycars on 02, July, 2016, 07:47:28 AM

I would really like to play with a bike engine but it would need chassis and body mods to fit the Sonic.

Worth it though!!  ;D ;D ;D