+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Fitting GRP body panels

Started by Furore Phil, 24, October, 2010, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furore Phil

I should be fitting the bodywork GRP soon, and I'd like a little advice.

I have heard that it is a good idea to paint the rough side of the GRP black, to prevent light passing through it, so making the GRP look better.

Has anyone else heard of this ?

Bulldog Bri

To a degree, it depends how thick the GRP and gel coat has been laid. And also how good the spray job will be. Hold a small panel up to a light, how much light is passing through it. If you can see quite clearly the brush strokes of the gell coat them I'd go with painting the underside.

8)

Furore Phil

Thanks, i'll have a check.

I got the last batch of panels before supplier was switched - they wern't terribly good (I did get a discount though). On the holes I have cut the gel does look quite thin.

my new steering wheel arrived today ! looks & feels very cool. Only cost £45 off ebay. pic below.

Quarrycars

One thought on painting the inside of GRP panels, it might make future repair or reinforcement a bit more difficult.  I imagine that removing paint from the strand side of a panel could be tricky.

minijon

I used fireproof rubber paint bought years ago ...Rubbercoat I think it was called .  Did the job but as above post makes any repairs more difficult as you'll have to try and remove the coatings .

Denzle

You can easily remove the paint with a rotery brush if need be.   

It doesnt matter if you take a little fibre glass away with it as it will be layed up again when doing  the repair.

Personally I would use a thin coat of matt black if you can see through it.    Just to give it a slight backing.   ;)

Just a thought.  ::)