AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Thinking of booking Castle Combe just for us.

Started by Moleman, 30, March, 2015, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

I now have a replacement for the morning to replace Ian. Dose anyone know anyone who would like to do the afternoon for £100? :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 15, August, 2015, 07:38:11 PM
Since my last trackday at Cadwell Park I've squeezed in a new big radiator, so hopefully I won't have to cut short any sessions because of overheating - which is probably just as well as Dino will be giving it a hammering again.

Also went to fit my slicks this afternoon and found a wheel nut missing off the car, don't have a clue where that went!
Managed to get a stop gap replacement from Yate breakers just before they closed.
I've managed to lose a few nuts and bolts off the cars over the years, always heard them fall off, never managed to find one yet despite spending hours walking along the road where they fell off!

OCD, who said that???

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: Moleman on 15, August, 2015, 07:41:34 PM
I now have a replacement for the morning to replace Ian. Dose anyone know anyone who would like to do the afternoon for £100? :)

I would have been up for a day out but have Bedford booked on Wednesday and have to work sometimes.

Have a great day  :D ;D

sanzomat

I've done a few more tweaks, front and rear now toeing in 0.5 degrees (4mm across the rim if my maths is right that should be 0.5 degrees?) and best of all I've managed to get the exhaust outlet central in the hole in the back of the rear end - that's been bugging me since I got the car! Just needed a washer under one of the rubber bobbins that supports the can.

I decided to remove the hood to stop it flapping around and falling off its shelf under braking so if it rains tomorrow you know who to blame.

I went out for a nice blast and I can't believe the difference my suspension tweaks have made. Much more confident for tomorrow. Why did I say that???? watch me fall off on the first lap now.

All gassed up and ready to go.

Moleman

That's good to hear mate.  8)

All spaces are filled again. 8)

Not long now. 8)

DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR DRIVING LICENCE!

Facial Hair Optional

I could have sworn I put a post about this on here earlier today but it is nowhere to be seen!! Weird.

Colin there is no mention of helmets in the info for this day. We have to have long sleeves and no shorts but what about helmets? Obligatory I would have thought?

Moleman

Sorry about this mate doing them for so long I forget that some may not know this, so my mistake.

You will need to wear a helmet on the day. It doesn't have to be a full face one but I do recommend one if you don't have a windscreen

If you don't own one you can hire them straight from Castle Combe so bring your credit card as they will need to take a deposit if you do hire one.

DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR DRIVING LICENCE! :)

Self Made Man

What would I need to do if I wanted to come down just to watch for a little bit? if that is at all possible, seeing as I am a serial lurker and haven't actually met any of you yet ;)

Moleman

I think I might have just replied to your email but just in case you are someone different,  You don't need to bring anything if you are just watching & it is free. If you would like a passenger ride then make sure you are wearing full length trousers & coat or jumper & trainers. If you have your own helmet then bring that, if you don't then don't worry we should be able to get you one. It is £5 for the band as you know but that is going straight to the charity.
So come over & say Hi you will find us a friendly bunch. You can't miss me I have a yellow westy & van both with a hornet on the back of it.
Cheers Colin.

Facial Hair Optional

I will be bringing THREE full face helmets Colin so if anyone is short I'm sure they can borrow one of mine as only two maximum will be in use at any one time.

I also have a childs-size helmet, if anyone wants me to bring that for their kids please shout ASAP so I can get it out and bring with.

It'll save having to hire one as mine is FOC  :D

sanzomat

I've chucked a spare helmet in the car too.

I expect all you old hands must think us newbies are a bit pathetic but I'm starting to get a few butterflies in my stomach. Feel like a little kid the night before christmas!

Moleman

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 16, August, 2015, 09:03:38 PM
I will be bringing THREE full face helmets Colin so if anyone is short I'm sure they can borrow one of mine as only two maximum will be in use at any one time.

I also have a childs-size helmet, if anyone wants me to bring that for their kids please shout ASAP so I can get it out and bring with.

It'll save having to hire one as mine is FOC  :D

Thanks mate. I'm short but I do have a helmet.  :P  PS there is a sort of age limit mind so no small kids will be able to go around.

Quote from: sanzomat on 16, August, 2015, 09:07:18 PM
I've chucked a spare helmet in the car too.

I expect all you old hands must think us newbies are a bit pathetic but I'm starting to get a few butterflies in my stomach. Feel like a little kid the night before christmas!
I never sleep that well before a track day & always get a bit nervous until after I have done my first lap mate.  ;D

Facial Hair Optional

What is the age limit Colin? I have a mate bringing his daughter but she is 15 or 16 I think?

Also a guest of mine has asked which entrance do they use to get in? I was not sure what to tell them.

Facial Hair Optional

I just got your joke Col!!! Bit slow me tonight, nerves like sanzomat I think!!!!

Excited though!

Moleman

Any of the two main gates should be ok. 15 or 16 should be fine mate.  :)

Self Made Man

Yeah Colin it was my email.

I wasn't sure it sent and thought I would just post instead of spamming you with mail ☺

I look forward to meeting you all tomorrow, and I'm sure I could be tempted for a passenger ride later in the day

Camber Dave

Thank you Colin and those that ran the track day today.

Like many I first visited Castle Combe with my dad, in my case in the '60's: I cycled there from Bristol as a teenager before I could drive, and worked in the paddock most years since 1975.

Today I drove round there for the first time.

In a £400 car I have been tweeking for 15 months. I have modified and revised the suspension in line with my regular practice. The super Protech dampers that give smooth road manners adjust to handle all the aggression asked of them.
Over the winter I welded in stronger chassis rails and cross bracing to cure body vibrations.

This morning I drove it to my limits and, as expected it was grossly down on power. Consequently I remained the moving chicane – thanks for giving me space.

And just before lunch Dino threw it over the curbs and rumble strips, slid it round Quarry and chased down a couple of cars he had to give best to. He rubbished the gear ratio's and tried to use revs the car didn't have, but liked the suspension. So this afternoon I threw it at a curb or two myself and pushed a bit harder.

My brain won't let me turn in fast enough yet. There is SO much I need to get my head around. As a race mechanic I was aware of how cerebral Motorsport is, now I understand a bit more.

A fitting 65th birthday pressy to myself I reckon.
Thanks hardly covers it but thanks anyway, Guys

Gary RH7

What a fantastic day

Many thanks to Ian, Barry, Colin, Rob and Dave for taking me as a passenger, loved it.

BIG thanks to Colin for organising the day.

rivsy36

Thoroughly enjoyed a great day, a few teething troubles, though it wouldn't be a kit car with out them!! Good to Dave Gallop on track putting all his knowledge to the test. Thanks for a great day guys.

John

Moleman

Many thanks to everyone that turned up. I hope you all enjoyed yourself. I will look forward to hearing your storys & seeing your video's.

I had a mate who has taken photo's of the day & I will post the site up once he has downloaded them.

I had a good day only one spin trying to find the gears. I collected quite a few £5 along with the ones my mate who booked the circuit had collected so I cant wait to hear the total of the day for "Go inspire now"

Video's to follow.

Lucky Ed

..........and a big thanks to Colin from me, what a great day! Everybody was going really well as the new surface is now well rubbered in, and much quicker than earlier this year. My car didn't quite survive the whole day at the hands of Dino, as I ended up with a broken rear wishbone, but I can't complain as it had a real hammering today and the rear end needed rose jointing anyway, so winter upgrades have come early again.

Thanks to all who gave passenger rides and those who donated money to the Go! Inspire charity.

Videos and stories to follow.

Jagodo

Thanks a lot guys, I had a great time. I apologise to everyone that I got in the way of but I was hoping that everyone would at least have me that they could overtake to make up for not being allowed to overtake Moleman.

I was rather disappointed with my car because it wasn't gripping as well as last time, which I think was down to too high tyre pressures. As a result I went grass cutting twice before I got used to it. It also seemed to lose power as the day progressed - probably engine bay heat, so I probably need a cool air supply to the carb. When I parked up after a session the bonnet was too soft with the heat to actually support its own weight!

My cockpit camera battery only lasted two sessions and had a lot of shake on it, which I am trying to correct with some post-processing software but it is a very slow process. Also the water-proof enclosure seems to have been sound-proof too, so despite being told I was right on the sound limit there no sound. It is amazing how many things don't actually go right when it comes to the test.

One thing that worked faultlessly was my Racelogic VBox Sport, so I know that my best time was 1:40.5 with a top speed of 97mph.

Still, I had great fun and the car got back in one piece - that makes it a good day.

robp

What a great trackday.  We had loads of track time and there was no queueing.  Weather was perfect.  8)

It was really nice to meet some new people and take some of them out around the track for a blast.

There was one or two red flags.  Towards the end of the day I went out for a final blast on my own.  I'd only done a couple of laps and it was red flagged.  We all came back into the pits.  Soon the track was ready again and I got ready to go out.  Just as I was leaving, the Combe ambulance came into the pits with the driver holding something out of the window.  As a passed him I noticed he was holding my boot lid!  Oops, it had come off on circuit and that's what had caused the red flag!  Sorry everyone!  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I have a few videos of the day which I'll upload soon.

Many thanks to Colin and the other organisers of the day!  8) 8)

Facial Hair Optional

What an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full praise to Colin for organising such a great event. It was my 1st ever time on a track and I was gobsmacked how fast everyone was! And by mid afternoon I was so tired I could have sat in my tin top and gone to sleep, I never knew it would be so tiring. How do F1 drivers do it??? 2 hours flat out in searing heat, they are superhuman now in my eyes! The last time I had a day that ended with me that tired and that happy a 20 year old blonde was involved!!!  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

The old Fury held up pretty well though for some odd reason one of the twin master brake cylinders (the rear one) gave up the ghost half a mile from home. The piston has come out too far. I only knew cos the pedal went a bit floppy! Got home ok but will have to look at that later. Maybe the fluid got too hot, expanded and pushed it out? Or maybe the bias was set too far out and it got pulled out when I braked? The cylinder did seem to have too much fluid in it when I looked. Weird how it didn't do it at the track day though when I was braking for my life!!  ;D :o

I learned some valuable lessons.

Mistakes I made!!.............

1. On the novice sighting laps behind the pace car (Moleman/Colin) NEVER be at the back of the train of cars. It's Chinese whispers, I was last or one but last and consequently I spent all day not having a clue where the racing lines were. Watching back my gopro footage it is clear I had no clue where to be on the track! It may as well have been half the width as I spent most of my time off line and on the wrong part of the track.

I was braking too late to start with which resulted in a spin and a 'straight on' at bobbies across the grass and spin at the essess. I got them right later but the ones I never got right ever were Camp and Quarry. I watched Dino, Ed, Rob and Colin from the bank by Avon bridge and the line those fast guys took was very different to almost everyone else. Eventually I ended up consistently braking and turning in far too early and hence was just not carrying through enough speed. No synchro on 4th to 3rd really hurt my times as I had to change gear well before the corner or I tended to have to brake VERY hard and enter way too quickly as I fumbled for a gear! Bit scary at times to be honest!

2. Not staying out for enough laps in one session. I tended to do a warm up lap then 3 or 4 fast laps then a warm down lap. If I had the time over I would stay out for far more fast laps, maybe 8 or more as I found I got consistently quicker on each lap and was most likley coming in before I had 'peaked'. I have only ever done a few hunded miles in the Fury and had not driven it for 8 months plus had brand spanking new R888's on it and if I'm honest I was a bit scared of coming off at high speed to start with and after 3 laps the tyres were just starting to come into their own - should've stayed out longer and made the most of them being hot!

You guys were right about the tyres though, once they 'come on' they are flippin amazing! The car just seemed to change into a different animal after about 3 hard-ish laps. Weird, but fantastic to experience.

3. Not going out with Dino! Grrr, annoyed at myself for that error.

4. Not having the bottle to ask Colin, Ed, Rob or any of the really fast guys to take me on a passenger ride. I am a rubbish passenger and would probably have been scared most of the time but I would have at least learned the lines and though I am nowhere near as quick as any of them at least I would have experienced how it should be done.

5. Being too tired and in too much pain from my shoulder injury to get enough laps in during the day. I think I did less than 40 laps which is rubbish. Next time I hope it will have healed by then.

I learned so much from that day from Colin and Ian, so a big thanks to you both  :)

Overall I knocked off over ten seconds from my fastest early laps to my best last ones, I was quite pleased with that given it was my 1st ever attempt at track driving. My best was 1:30.34 but with a bit of practice, knowing the correct lines(!) and no 4th to 3rd synchro issues (that cost me sooooo much time!) I think I could get that down by maybe 5 seconds eventually?

A note to the driver of the yellow Westie with black mudguards (I think the reg was Q217 GJT), I don't know who you are but thank you for 3 of the best laps of the day! I chased you as best I could and on the straights I was closing in on you but I just could not stay with you on the corners, my car just did not feel planted enough (a visit to Camber Dave is in order I think) and you were QUICK!!! What an exciting ten minutes that was for me and my passenger, CHEERS whoever you are!!!   8) 8) 8)

Lucky Ed

The repair work begins! The car is back up in the air again, and the wishbones are stripped out. I'm amazed how little damage has been done and it's just a case of rose jointing the ends of the wishbones that I haven't already done. The combination of big slicks, too many kerbs and a Pro racing driver is just too much for the original design, where the tube holding the polybush just splits and peals apart.

I've ordered the parts and hopefully I'll have it back together again early next week - might make Pembrey yet 8)

mikebishop

Hi, had a great day at Castle Combe, first track day in the car, it performed brilliantly, and was quite quick. no major damage other than a smashed number plate, which is now on the garage wall.

My wife edited together a bit of the footage from the go pro with great results, although it felt alot quicker in real life,  ;D

Big thanks to Colin for organizing it, such a wicked day, although i feel i may have been spoiled on my first one with great weather and no queuing!!!! 

can't wait for the next one!!

also thanks to lucky ed for letting me have a hot ride with Dino,  :o  now that was something else!!!  no word can describe!!

Iancider

And a big thank you from me too Colin that day was immense!

Go! Inspire made a HUMUNGOUS mount of money too!

Thanks too to Dino for showing us how to do it!

Ian

Moleman

Good to hear it is not to bad & will be fixed in no time Ed.  :)

Nice video Mike.  Yes they won't all be like that there will be crap weather in the mix from time to time.  8)

How much did we make Ian?

If anyone would like a picture of your car on track

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7713995@N04/albums/72157656886789458/page3

Click on the link & have a look through. The bloke will put 50% of his profits towards the Go inspire now project.
It's £5 for 1  £7.50 for 2 £10 for 3 £15 for 4

Click on it & take a look some are really good anyway.  :)

Jagodo

Fantastic video mikebishop. It is good that your wife caught me overdoing it and doing some gardening at the beginning of the movie. I see that you learned from me eventually!

sanzomat

Quote from: Moleman on 18, August, 2015, 09:08:13 PM
If anyone would like a picture of your car on track

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7713995@N04/albums/72157656886789458/page3

Click on the link & have a look through. The bloke will put 50% of his profits towards the Go inspire now project.
It's £5 for 1  £7.50 for 2 £10 for 3 £15 for 4

Click on it & take a look some are really good anyway.  :)
Not sure if he thought they were both the same car but loads of pix of Steve's Spyder and only 3 of mine :'(

sanzomat

Quote from: mikebishop on 18, August, 2015, 07:12:45 PM
Hi, had a great day at Castle Combe, first track day in the car, it performed brilliantly, and was quite quick. no major damage other than a smashed number plate, which is now on the garage wall.

My wife edited together a bit of the footage from the go pro with great results, although it felt alot quicker in real life,  ;D

Big thanks to Colin for organizing it, such a wicked day, although i feel i may have been spoiled on my first one with great weather and no queuing!!!! 

also thanks to lucky ed for letting me have a hot ride with Dino,  :o  now that was something else!!!  no word can describe!!

Great video Mike (and mrs Mike - sorry didn't remember your name!) Can't wait to see some more so get posting everyone!

sanzomat

Thanks to everyone involved in setting this up. I had a great time.
My set-up and tyres seemed to have done the job as the car was transformed from the June outing. I was really pleased with the way it was handling, just need a bit more power now (well, just need to get it off the pallet and into the car!!) and maybe sort out the overheating. I managed to boil over after watching the needle hit the red in the morning and thinking it would be fine for another couple of laps! Taking the spare wheel out helped (thanks for the advice former Libra owner - didn't catch your name) but it was still hitting the red after about 15 minutes but as long as I came in then the water stayed in the system rather than over the paddock tarmac. Looking at the photos just now I'm thinking of taking off the front number plate for track use as Steve's stick on one leaves a much bigger opening to let the air in.
Thanks for the passenger ride Colin - gives me something to aspire too (who am I kidding!). Thanks to my various passengers for not leaving any brown marks on the seat - must try harder next time!
For the final 20 minutes I think it was just me and Colin out on track as it seemed quite lonely with nobody filling my mirrors. After 15 minutes the temperature was hitting the red but I didn't want to go in until the chequered flag so started using 5th gear on the straights to let it cool down a bit which seemed to work and only a bit slower and managed to stay out to the end and avoid getting lapped.
Great day. Hopefully the first of many.

Moleman

A few in car pictures of the day.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: mikebishop on 18, August, 2015, 07:12:45 PM

I'm not usually a big fan of track day videos put to music Mike (they often do it to cover up the crap sound of their cars I reckon!!) but well done on that one Mrs Bishop!! One of my fave tracks/bands AND you can still hear the car!

I know what you mean about it feeling faster on the day, scary innit!!!! Hats off to the 'very fast crew' (you know who you are!!)

Brilliant mate!!!   8) 8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 18, August, 2015, 09:50:35 PM
Thanks to everyone involved in setting this up. I had a great time.
My set-up and tyres seemed to have done the job as the car was transformed from the June outing. I was really pleased with the way it was handling, just need a bit more power now (well, just need to get it off the pallet and into the car!!) and maybe sort out the overheating. I managed to boil over after watching the needle hit the red in the morning and thinking it would be fine for another couple of laps! Taking the spare wheel out helped (thanks for the advice former Libra owner - didn't catch your name) but it was still hitting the red after about 15 minutes but as long as I came in then the water stayed in the system rather than over the paddock tarmac. Looking at the photos just now I'm thinking of taking off the front number plate for track use as Steve's stick on one leaves a much bigger opening to let the air in.
Thanks for the passenger ride Colin - gives me something to aspire too (who am I kidding!). Thanks to my various passengers for not leaving any brown marks on the seat - must try harder next time!
For the final 20 minutes I think it was just me and Colin out on track as it seemed quite lonely with nobody filling my mirrors. After 15 minutes the temperature was hitting the red but I didn't want to go in until the chequered flag so started using 5th gear on the straights to let it cool down a bit which seemed to work and only a bit slower and managed to stay out to the end and avoid getting lapped.
Great day. Hopefully the first of many.

Have you got a manual fan override button Dave?

I discovered (cos I forgot) that my fan ONLY works on a dash button!! It was getting near the red when I suddenly remembered to turn it on! The temp dropped like a stone. Sweet as a nut.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 18, August, 2015, 09:57:58 PM
A few in car pictures of the day.

And not a flying cone in sight Col!!  :P :P :P

Your car interior looks positively luxurious mate! Must weigh a bit though??? Just think how fast you'd go if you ripped all that out mate!!  :o :o ;D ;D :P :P

sanzomat

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 18, August, 2015, 11:06:44 PM

Yep, manual fan switch was on all day. It does come on automatically but just as the needle enters the red (so would have been on all day without the manual override!)

Taking the number plate off will be an easy, free first try at fixing it, alternatively http://www.drawmer.net/libra/radiator.htm

Iancider

QuoteTaking the number plate off will be an easy, free first try at fixing it, alternatively http://www.drawmer.net/libra/radiator.htm

That looks  like a very worthy upgrade Dave and very well thought through.  I would suggest you leave the spare out if you can - I dont have one but just carry an electric pump and tyre gunge plus AA cover - one of those will always get me out of trouble.

Ian

sanzomat

Quote from: sanzomat on 19, August, 2015, 07:10:32 AM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 18, August, 2015, 11:06:44 PM

Yep, manual fan switch was on all day. It does come on automatically but just as the needle enters the red (so would have been on all day without the manual override!)

Taking the number plate off will be an easy, free first try at fixing it, alternatively http://www.drawmer.net/libra/radiator.htm

Any thoughts on whether this degree of number plate blocking the rad inlet duct would make a big difference - I can't help wondering if the plate might be deflecting the air flow as well as blocking part of the opening. It may not need much to make the difference, just using 5000 revs in 5th on the straights rather than 6000 in 4th was keeping it just below the red on the last few laps. When I fit the VVC engine I may well be producing more heat though so might need the rad upgrade.

Facial Hair Optional

I think moving the number plate would make a noticeable difference Dave, it's blocking almost half your front air entry and as you say most likely causing turbulance that is messing up the other half - get rid!!

Might be worth following the advice Ian gave in a past thread, get an infra-red temp sensor and see what the ACTUAL engine temp is. Your gauge may not be accurate and what you want is the engine running at the CORRECT temp, not too hot OR too cool! Would be worth doing it before and after removing the number plate too mate I think.

I'd love to know what the results are please!