AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Thinking of booking Castle Combe just for us.

Started by Moleman, 30, March, 2015, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Facial Hair Optional

PS. If I'm honest I also think it looks better with the plate on the bonnet like the other car. Much tidier IMHO  :D

sanzomat

Based on the fact it boiled over when I got back into the paddock when I let it go halfway through the red zone but the water stayed in the system when I came in when it just touched the red I'm thinking the gauge is about right.

I'll only know if it works whilst on track as I've never had any problems on the road, even when thrashing it.

sanzomat

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 19, August, 2015, 09:02:40 PM
PS. If I'm honest I also think it looks better with the plate on the bonnet like the other car. Much tidier IMHO  :D
The only trouble is that since 2001 stick on number plates are actually illegal. The only way to get away with it is if the plate was put on prior to 2001 as they can't make you change something that was legal at the time it was fitted but as the car was built and registered in 2004 that might be hard to argue. I know a lot of people get away with it but with my luck I'd get nicked! No problem to just take it off for the track though.

Facial Hair Optional

They have to catch you 1st mate!!  :P

My Tiger is 2003, plates on nose and always has been through all previous owners, none have ever been stopped. I doubt most coppers even know/care/have the time to bother tbh mate. In any case all you'd get is a telling off and nicely asked to remove them before you next drive it. I have even driven with the old style black and silver rear plates many a time before now.

Moleman

You should be fine mate. As long as your nice to them the worst you would get is a warning I would think. Mine is a 2006 & I haven't had any trouble in 5 years.  :)

I haven't sorted mine out yet but any more Video's of the day?

Facial Hair Optional

I have a vid Colin but it's very long and the bit I want to put online I don't know how to edit it to make it shorter!

20/08/15 -  have now learned to edit etc, vid uploaded successfully (I hope)  ;D

rivsy36

Great day out at Combe me and dad loved it couldn't of been any luckier with the weather.
My fastest time I could record on the go-pro was a 1.16.4 with a passenger unfortunately the camera ran out of battery as I left the wifi turned on so didn't get a time without a passenger sounds like an excuse for another track day
Dad managed to get a 1.22 has a bit of catching up he must of lost his edge with his old age

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: rivsy36 on 20, August, 2015, 12:17:06 AM
Great day out at Combe me and dad loved it couldn't of been any luckier with the weather.
My fastest time I could record on the go-pro was a 1.16.4 with a passenger unfortunately the camera ran out of battery as I left the wifi tuned on so didn't get a time without a passenger sounds like an excuse for another track day
Dad managed to get a 1.22 has a bit of catching up he must of lost his edge with his old age

HOW MUCH??!! My god, which cars were you in? That's fast!!!!!!!!!

rivsy36

Both sharing the same car the yellow one with black mudguards reg no Q217GJT

Jagodo

I have cut a short section of my video which shows my attempt to keep in contact with Facial Hair Optional. You will see that he is getting away from me. I had already come off twice so I was trying not to make it 3 times in one session. My camera was out of place after excursion number 2 so most of my video is pretty naff but the battery ran out after that session, so that is all I have got. My best time was 1:40.9 for this session.

I hope that this link works...

p.s. no cones were hurt in the making of this video!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: rivsy36 on 20, August, 2015, 12:33:42 AM
Ah so it was you I was chasing!! I have some great footage of me letting you by and then chasing you so I could learn the race line for about 4 laps or so! If I can learn to edit it to get rid of the time in the car park I will post it.

I timed you from the 'grassy knoll' by the Avon bridge and you were lapping around 1:17 ish, which is why I am still wondering how I managed to keep up with you later in the day!! I think you were taking it easy on me and allowing me to stay with you cos we were only lapping then at around 1:31

!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just realised, two different drivers would account for that!   ::) ::) ::)

Tell your dad I'll 'av 'im next time! lol!   :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

Brilliant James! (I think I have figured out your name correctly?) Love the title too, very clever dude!

Right at the end there you can see me facing the wrong way on Bobbies! You missed my spin by about ten sconds, damned shame as my gopro was off and I wanted to see what it looked like!

1:40 was about spot on as that was one of my 1st early laps and I was on 1:40 at the beginning too. Thanks for posting that, it's interesting and kinda strange to see video of yourself from behind.

rivsy36

it would of been my dad that was driving then so not to sure what he was doing we had been told off for being to noisy on the drive by so he may have been taking it easy on the straight ?
I was the one in the white helmet and back racing overalls

I think the next track day we will have to try full slicks instead of the r888 see if that makes any difference the r888 are worn out now anyway so new tyres are required

Facial Hair Optional

Just updated my previous post while you were posting yours John.

Colin says slicks make a few seconds but you have to learn how to get the best out of them. I was soooooo impressed with my new R888s. What a difference.

rivsy36

Haha yea

Yea slicks should help as long as you can get them to temperature but that shouldn't be a problem

rivsy36

Another good semi slick tyre is the Yokohama 048 or the 032 probably a bit more grip than the r888

Lucky Ed

Quote from: rivsy36 on 20, August, 2015, 02:17:41 AM
Another good semi slick tyre is the Yokohama 048 or the 032 probably a bit more grip than the r888

The Yoko's are great, but pricey. It's got to be slicks if you're going to do more than a couple of trackdays per year. I paid £500 for a new set of 13" Team Dynamic 1.2's, shod with S/H slicks and that's not far off the price of a set of Yoko's or wider 888's. From then on I've never paid more than £20 for a slick tyre, and the set on the car now have done at least 5 trackdays and they've probably got one more left in them now. Dino reckons they are OK but have lost their edge probably due to the number of heat cycles they've gone through.

Moleman

Totally agree with Ed.  :)

Nice video Jagodo it's food to see the different views from different cars.

keep them coming guys. Hopefully I will sort mine out over the weekend

jmad

It sounds like you all had a great time, but that makes it worse that I couldn't make it.  I know things like this are a massive amount of work to organise and Colin is probably still trying to catch his breath, but when do you think the next one will be? Sneak one in this year or will it be next summer?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 20, August, 2015, 08:26:04 AM

The Yoko's are great, but pricey. It's got to be slicks if you're going to do more than a couple of trackdays per year. I paid £500 for a new set of 13" Team Dynamic 1.2's, shod with S/H slicks and that's not far off the price of a set of Yoko's or wider 888's. From then on I've never paid more than £20 for a slick tyre, and the set on the car now have done at least 5 trackdays and they've probably got one more left in them now. Dino reckons they are OK but have lost their edge probably due to the number of heat cycles they've gone through.

The way you and Dino drive I'm surprised they didn't melt!! My front right 888 was so hot I could barely touch it so God knows what your slicks must have felt like!!

sanzomat

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 20, August, 2015, 08:26:04 AM
I get the benefits of slicks, both in terms of cost and grip but:
1) Where do you keep a set of four wheels/tyres when they're not on the car? You guys must have bigger garages/sheds etc than me.
2) If you are driving your car to/from the track it'll be a struggle to find somewhere on a kit car to carry four extra wheels - just bringing jerry cans, helmets and some tools used up all the space I had!
3) Having weird PCD size doesn't make it easy to get additional wheels - not sure if I can get 13" rims in 4x3.75" PCD?

I think there will always be a difference between doing track days really seriously and just having fun and making the best of whatever you've got. I had a blast in mine but was nowhere near the pace of the "VFC". I definitely want to do more and I'll keep tweaking/improving my car to get the best from it and try to improve my skills too but to go to the next level I'd probably need a different car as a starting point, as well as a van, trailer, and moving house to somewhere with a big garage!

Driving the car to the circuit also limits the tracks I can do - What have we got in a, say, 50-60 mile radius? Llandow, Pembrey, Thruxton plus a few airfields? Any more?

sanzomat

I've not got much to compare it with but I was very pleased with how my new Yoko AD08R's worked. I read somewhere they have the same compound as 048's but with a few more grooves to give better wet performance so as an all round tyre hopefully a good choice. For a tyre that fits my existing rims they were good value too at around £50 a corner less than the nearest size 888's (that would have been narrower/taller too).

CC Cyclone

Looks like you all had fun, sorry I missed it.
MOT for the cyclone next week again and so hopefully will be out & about again to catch late summer.

Moleman

Quote from: jmad on 20, August, 2015, 10:26:54 AM
It sounds like you all had a great time, but that makes it worse that I couldn't make it.  I know things like this are a massive amount of work to organise and Colin is probably still trying to catch his breath, but when do you think the next one will be? Sneak one in this year or will it be next summer?

I will be planning to do more next year but I won't be able to book one there until then as they are fully booked. We can always book some track days together with other company's that have already booked the circuit or another circuit if you prefer?  :)

Keep the video's & pictures coming guys. :)

Jagodo

I have been using Windows Movie Maker on Windows 8.1 to edit my video and to rotate it 180 degrees (because my camera was hanging from the roll bar). It is pretty good, but rather slow on my laptop. I also used the option to remove camera shake and wobble, which does quite a good job at the expense of more time. But what I have just noticed is that it has significantly reduced the field of view which was already pretty small with my cheap gopro look-alike. I should have guessed that an ebay £25 camera is not the same but then ... I drive a Dutton.

Facial Hair Optional

Well here is one of my vids at last. Shame I didnt get any of my two spins and one 'straight on' across the grass at Bobbies!!

Me and my mate in the Cossie Fury chasing Rivsy36's dad in their cracking little 7!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5Db5yNxEY&feature=youtu.be

I let Colin go by (0:30secs) (didnt want to embarrass him by showing him how fast I was :P), but he is too quick to follow so I waited for another victim I could try and hang on to and hopefully learn their lines as I had no clue where they really were.

I didnt have to wait long!!! Rivsy36's 7 came alongside and I indicated to let him pass me going in to Bobbies (1:15secs) and then I set off after him!  8)

I was doing ok on the straights, particularly after a few laps but in those damned corners I kept missing my 4th to 3rd gear change (no synchro!!) and I just dropped back a country mile every time. You could see me waving my hands in disgust at myself! I would repeatedly close in on the straights only to struggle in the corners again and again. GRRRR!!!  >:(

Just as my tyres came on form and I started getting really close enough to think about a pass down one of the straights for some reason I decided to do a cool down lap and come in. Complete lack of experience!! Also lack of confidence in a car and tyres that were new and alien to me I think.

I really enjoyed those laps but went another 1.5 secs faster later when not chasing anyone, just being a bit braver. I only did 38 laps for the day and I think I could have improved a bit more had I done more laps. Big mistake!

I worked out that my average lap speed was about 74-75mph. Top speed was about 118mph if I recall correctly though I was a bit busy to look and my passenger couldnt reach the gps speedo we had on the dash which had moved and was no longer visible  :(

If there were more track days Col, I would defo invest in a trailer and a better, faster car (you know what I'm talking about!!!  ;))

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: rivsy36 on 20, August, 2015, 12:33:42 AM

That is a very quick car John, what have you got under the bonnet?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: rivsy36 on 20, August, 2015, 01:24:55 AM
it would of been my dad that was driving then so not to sure what he was doing we had been told off for being to noisy on the drive by so he may have been taking it easy on the straight ?
I was the one in the white helmet and back racing overalls

I think the next track day we will have to try full slicks instead of the r888 see if that makes any difference the r888 are worn out now anyway so new tyres are required

Looking at the video it looks like it was YOU I was chasing John, not your dad? White helmet driving at least!

rivsy36

That definatly dad driving I can tell by video and I spoke to him today and he said you were following him

rivsy36

It's a 2ltr Vauxhall 252bhp under the bonnet I put a picture of it up in the gallery today

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: rivsy36 on 21, August, 2015, 02:05:01 AM
It's a 2ltr Vauxhall 252bhp under the bonnet I put a picture of it up in the gallery today
Very nice mate!! Great engines they are , especially at that kind of bhp!!  :o

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: rivsy36 on 21, August, 2015, 02:00:28 AM
That definatly dad driving I can tell by video and I spoke to him today and he said you were following him

Ah right, so did he have someone else no board and not you as a passenger? Might explain how I mananged to almost hang on to him, he was trying not to scare the hell out of them maybe? I know he was quicker that those laps suggest at other times in the day (1:22 I seem to recall you saying) That is a quick time and with that Vauxhall lump I would have thought more like it!

Been considering a Westie with a red top in it myself. Same bhp as yours round abouts. Never been in one myself but I have seen them on youtube and they really can shift!

rivsy36

He he had his friend in the car I don't bother with the passenger rides not really my thing  :o :o
Yea they are really good you should of come over I would if taken you out for a hot lap it is ultra quick !
Yea dad laps are usually about 1.22 ish
I wish I had a timed lap with no passenger as my best  was a 1.16.4 on the go pro footage with a passenger tho.
My friend who races caterhams up there Has done a 1.10 before  :o :o
His car had a bit more horse power and it's loads lighter
He did tell us to remove the windscreen as that would make a huge difference down the straights !

Facial Hair Optional

Yes that is my big regret of the day that I didnt go round with some fast drivers in faster cars than mine  :(

1:16.4 is incredibly quick, faster even than Colin I think (just). I know it's accurate too cos me and a mate timed you from the hill by Avon Bridge and clocked you repeatedly at 1:17 by eye and a stopwatch/mobile phone.

1:10 is super human, on a list of laptimes recorded for the track the fastest submitted so far is a Ferrari 458 speciale I think, most likely driven by a pro driver and that was 1:11.90!!

Maybe you should submit your times to that site? http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/castle_combe.html

The windscreen removal would add a fair bit to your max mph on the straights I'm sure = lower laptimes of course. My cars have aero screens, I love 'em!!

Is your Westie track prep'd other than a stonking engine? ie brakes, clutch, suspension, stripped out weight, paddle shifters etc?

I'll send you a PM link to one I have been thinking of viewing  ;)

rivsy36

the fastes lap around caslte come is done by a bloke called simon tilling in a radical i think its a 1.03 look on youtube type in simon tilling castle combe there is a video of it.

Facial Hair Optional

Just watched it! Holy moley!!!

Clocked him on unhindered laps, consistently 1:05's time after time!

Makes you realise though how good the VFC lot (you, Colin, Rob, Ed, Rivsy's dad!! - anyone I left out?) are at 1:16 - 1:20's!!

rivsy36

Rivsy,s Dad the steadier one!!
   Our car is a Race Corp LA Roadster it has a good engine but is let down a bit else where, STD Type 9 gearbox, Wilwood brakes which still suffer with fade, this is an ongoing project. And electrics that could do with some TLC, any good Auto Electricians recommended would be good? It was good to have you in the rear view, as Brendon had mentioned earlier we had been Blacked Flagged three times for noise, trying to short shift to keep the NOISE POLICE at bay isn't much fun. As for the exhaust it was made at Interpro last year didn't think they made it big enough at the time, should have complained then. Only makes 99 Decibel at static test to close for comfort 93 on the drive by. On the phone to them to get something bigger hopefully at a bit of a discount as they should of done this first time. Hope we can get another track day in the near future. Need some more Tyres now to make it legal to drive, no trailer. We also have some GoPro footage although our upload speed seems to take hours to do just a couple of minutes!!!!! 
John 

Moleman

Nice video Steve.  8)

A few more pictures of the day. Just started on my video's.  :)

Jagodo

I have uploaded a video of my 'Offings' if anyone is interested. I think the first one was initiated by a rather abrupt down change to 3rd with no throttle blip or clutch easing. The second was helped by a little bump in the track, I think. TWICE in less than a lap, that's dreadful.

robp

There I was.  Just been out for a session and I was slowing down to let everything cool when this guys comes flying fast in a yellow Westfield. 

Well.  What could I do.  I set off in pursuit, of course!!  :P :P