News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

VERY IMPORTANT. Members, your feedback required please.

Started by 'The Gaffer', 05, October, 2009, 12:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Please, please, take the time to respond to this topic, it is very important for the future of the club.

Winter is now drawing in and some may be SORNing there cars for a while, others not, and no doubt the forum will become quieter too, so this is a great time to reflect as to what's important to you and what you want from the club next year.

The club has had a pretty good success rate, and I personally am very proud of my efforts in achieving what I set out to do when setting it up - simply by finding a handful of kit car owners and builders to share experiences with has been an enormous triumph. So, a very big thank you to those that have realised my goal, I have found some great new friends. ;D

However, we do have 87 members, some who post regularly, some who meet often, some who just browse, and some who do nothing at all.

What I really need to know is what people want from a local kit car club so that for next season I can be prepared to concentrate on what is important to you as members.

The club will remain free and informal but maybe one or two would like specific roles within the club? Just let me know if you feel you have something to offer.

Please give me any feedback so I can start working out a programme for next year - Any feedback would be gratefully received since as some of you know, I have spent 100's of hours developing this site, so please take just one minute to respond.

Thank you, and here's to a great BKCC 2010.

Phil, founder and admin of the BKCC.

Richard

Firstly, a BIG thank you to you Phil, not just for the hours spent setting up the forum, learning new IT skills and all that technical work that goes unnoticed behind the pages we all see.

The energy you continue to put in is much appreciated as it keeps us all going. This is about people and a common appreciation / hobby.

I think we have to clubs linked in reality, one is an online one who either through distance or other reasons can't come to the meets but appreciates reading the odd post for amusement or on rarer occasions information. The other is the meet locally and drive somewhere group.

For the online one I think the setup you have is very well presented, not sure what changes for the written part but I think there are a lot of pictures that may be of interest and links to other sites for pictures you do have to hunt for so perhaps some form of easier access to them or even decide to host them elsewhere on an Ovi / fotopic etc..

For those that turn up I think a couple of organised drive / meets with clubs around us works well for both us and them, maybe get them in the diaries a little further ahead.

Chase down a few local events, perhaps car orientated in the main so we can drive there /back and not just stand around all the time (sometime is good for a natter). Maybe the occasional qwirky event for a bit of fun, will help boost their event e.g. the Mangoldwurzeling.

Two pub meets I think work well.

Breakfast meets are worth doing as well, it is sometimes easier to fit things into the morning than always the late afternoon evening.

Going to the kit car shows as a club would be a good thing to do, personally I'm not a tent fan but might put up with it for the company.

No other thoughts instinctively but if I do I'll post up.

Thanks once again Phil, very much appreciated !
A thanks to Bri for the run organising and that banner we will use more next year !

'The Gaffer'

Dixie

Quote from: G & Toniq on 05, October, 2009, 11:46:02 AM
Thank you for your kind words Richard :)

Not being that good with computers, I did initially find it difficult to find the photos, but that is because I am a pleb, now I know where there are all is ok.

As for the club, I don't think we are doing much wrong.  It's great that it is free, this means we don't have to have committee's etc, which would mean chairman, treasurers etc etc  :(.  I think the Wheatsheaf is a good central location for the summer, but perhaps not for the winter. We could have a meeting place on a Sunday morning somewhere until the days get longer.  I think the Burrington inn is as good as any, or the pub in Cheddar that we used last week.  You Bristol guys seem to be using the A37 alot,  is it our turn to come your way?

A couple of set events would be good, Exeter show ia an obvious one, stoneliegh another.  Plus a weekend away next year, not too bothered about camping, but I can rough it for a couple of nights.
If I think of anything else I will post later this evening.  Mark

'The Gaffer'

Thank you for your encouragement and noted Mark. I'm all ears if you think of anything else. :)

gingerpaul

I like the set up of this place. Considering how long it's been going I think you've done a great job.

What I have noticed on the Dax forum is that it's actually busier over the winter. Everyone is upgrading or building. I think you'll find that there will be less reports on where people have gone and more on what people are making.

Something that might be fun judging by the responses on the France threads would be a weekend run over to northern France. Take tents, head a few hours south and see what happens. Perhaps making it a long weekend, over maybe 3 nights. I've got a camp site book that gives a description of all the good ones. You work out what roads look like fun and where you want to end up and then just follow your nose. Hopefully you end up somewhere interesting. I've spent over a month sleeping in tents in France the last couple of years and I've never booked one in advance and I have yet to be disappointed. The only fixed points were the ferry crossings.

That'd be something for easter next year or later by the way, not something to do over the winter!   :o

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: gingerpaul on 05, October, 2009, 02:39:16 PM
I like the set up of this place. Considering how long it's been going I think you've done a great job.

Thanks, and very much appreciated. Perhaps when the time is right we can organise said trip :)

Furore Phil

I'd also like to say thanks for all the work you have done.

For me, I will still be visiting the site over the winter, it's a great distraction whilst the wife watches hollyoaks !

As I am still in the process of building, I llke reading the technichal stuff and will probably be placing and hopefully answering questions (good at electrics, bad at engines).

Ok I don't go to any meetings, but I am a little far out of the way over here !

Ah and if anyone needs computer help - I'm a programmer, but I don't do web pages.

If you want to delegate any specific tasks, just let us know !

Cob68

Hi Phil agree with the others think a great site and good way to meet up with other kit car owners. You must put a lot of work into this. I am up for meeting through the Winter and try to use the car all year round. As for trips fancy the idea of France for a few days, Haynes museum is also a possible drive and meet,  good cafe as well as museum, guess the same with Beaulieu but not been for years.  Weymouth might be good with Fish and chips on the front for lunch, just a little longer drive but still only 80 miles, could plan a coffee stop on the way. Just a few thoughts.

'The Gaffer'

Thanks Phil & Tony.

Its nice to be appreciated ;D

Look forward to seeing you over the winter Tony, and Phil, no excuses, you must get that car out to meets ;)

I think one plan I will be implementing is to stage meets all over the region so that everybody feels involved.

All feedback is welcome.

Bulldog Bri

I to think you've done a great job starting this forum/club Phil and only think it will go from strength to strength. some people will always post others only when something strikes a cord with them and some not at all but thats the nature of this sort of place.

All in all though it a way for like minded people to share their expirences of kitcars.

Generaly speaking I think Paul is right, and the winter time is when club meetings move inside and people talk more about where the club can go. I think a club trip somewhere is also a great idea for one.

I will be speaking with the lads at work who show all different types of vehicles and post up any shows that we to could attend

8)

'The Gaffer'

Thanks Bri very much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

What seems to be common from the forum and email replies I have had so far is that everyone seems happy with the forum the way it is, some have sold their cars and wish to be taken off the list as members, and a LOT are saying a trip overseas would be a good idea, France in particular is the way to go for next year.

Keep em coming folks, good or bad. Its in your interest to air your views now as to what happens within the club and forum next year.

lightauto

Congratulations on the project so far.
Sunday meet's are what attracted me and I am determined to to attend on the 11th when the time and place are determined. I was only stopped last time by a battery failure at the last moment. As I have an all weather car I would hope to able to attend throughout the winter, snow and floods excepted.
Here's a couple of idea's to fill the winter evenings.
As I haven't read a kit car mag' for years, I don't have a clue about any of your cars. How about the members introducing thier cars, with a description of its type ,construction and makers.
Kit car history topic's and pictures.

gingerpaul

Seeing as a few others are interested in a trip abroad here is a link to a gallery from when I nipped over with a friend for a few days last year. We left from Portsmouth, got down as far as Saint Nazaire and then headed east to Saumur and up again.

http://www.paule.org.uk/Galleries/Loire%20Valley%202008/index.html

Dixie

Perhaps we can do a dry run somewhere in this country first?  I have a passport and have had my jabs, so we could try the Wales trip again.

Then do a weekend run to North France.  Would like to see Normandy and more importantly so would the wife.

Mark

PhilW

Quote from: gingerpaul on 06, October, 2009, 02:43:27 PM
We left from Portsmouth, got down as far as Saint Nazaire

Did you visit the Docks?

reluctant

Just adding thanks to Phil on a job well done. Im up for a France trip whenever. As my car is finished now (untill the next engine/gearbox change...........Need more horses) I will use the Pilgrim all winter. As for meets, trips whatever bring it on. Anyone fancy joining me on a hard core offroading trip deep into the Malaysian jungle ? Jan 2010, see xmen4x4.com. A few leeches wont hurt you!!

Martin.

'The Gaffer'

Thanks Dave and Martin for the compliments :)

I think a members cars section is a great idea.

Cant say I'm quite so keen on the the Malaysian jungle hard core off roading though :o ;D

Richard

I think the point of the members cars was with a little more human interaction involved, perhaps not but ...

Is trial camping run a kit car camping trip but not November ?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Richard on 06, October, 2009, 08:15:51 PM
I think the point of the members cars was with a little more human interaction involved, perhaps not but ...

Is trial camping run a kit car camping trip but not November ?

Sorry, run that by me again Rich :-\

Brian

I am also a member of Apple County but living in Weston like to keep in touch here too.
You have done a great job in a short time the online stuff is first class, and I believe the informal club works well, as it does for ACKCC.

All the suggestions are good, breakfast runs, longer continental trips and pub mets, do plenty and those it suits can dip in and enjoy!

Le Mans Classic for 2010 is on the planner anyone here fancy it?

'The Gaffer'

Thanks Brian, very much appreciate your comments. :) Le Mans Classic could well be on the cards.

It really has become apparent that some good reasonable distance events are of great interest to members. Maybe a joint ACKCC continental journey or two for the future?

YellaBelly

First I would like to echo what has already been said to Phil about his efforts and time in starting and keeping both the site and club running. Thanks too to Brian for his efforts and help (especially with the pipe bender ;)).

The site pretty much covers what I would want from it includinig hints, tips, advice and the chance to get to know like-minded people which makes this kit-car game so enjoyable :)

I am certainly up for runs out, but my main problem is the fact that I live a little further away than most (but not all :) ) but mostly I travel overseas a great deal with work and it can play havoc wirth my free time.

I will endeavour to make as many of the meets as I can and runs out too. Like many here, I will certainly be up for using the car whenever possible (yes Phil, I know, I need to get it built! ;)).

So once again, a BIG thank you to Phil, Brian and all who make the site and meets work. Keep it up :D

JB

Dixie

Quote from: Brian on 07, October, 2009, 12:22:36 AM
I am also a member of Apple County but living in Weston like to keep in touch here too.
You have done a great job in a short time the online stuff is first class, and I believe the informal club works well, as it does for ACKCC.

All the suggestions are good, breakfast runs, longer continental trips and pub mets, do plenty and those it suits can dip in and enjoy!

Le Mans Classic for 2010 is on the planner anyone here fancy it?

I fancy doing the Classic.  More info please ;D

'The Gaffer'

Thanks JB, appreciate your comments. :)

I will start to build the site a little more once I have collated the feedback.
Not a great deal more as the general concensous is its not bad as it is :).

New members cars section added allready. http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?board=17.0

Bulldog Bri

Just a thought for winter meetings, we could do the run bit and make it end up FOR the club meeting, that way anyone that wants to take part in the run can. others can meet up as normal..

8)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bulldog bri on 07, October, 2009, 10:39:51 PM
Just a thought for winter meetings, we could do the run bit and make it end up FOR the club meeting, that way anyone that wants to take part in the run can. others can meet up as normal..

8)

Sounds good to me Bri, a between meet breakfast run on another weekend would be good too for some, me included, according to my feedback anyway :)

Richard

Good idea Bri !

Brian - yes classic Le Mans sounds a great idea. Keep us informed please.

gingerpaul

Quote from: PhilW on 06, October, 2009, 04:11:19 PM
Quote from: gingerpaul on 06, October, 2009, 02:43:27 PM
We left from Portsmouth, got down as far as Saint Nazaire

Did you visit the Docks?

I did indeed. In the gallery on the other page between pictures 9 and 14 are the docks. 9 is the cars outside the sub pens. 14 has a picture of a ship in the dry dock famously blown up by a British boat disguised as a German one in WW2.

dave_bence

Sorry for the late reply, been away for 10 days.

I have to agree with all the comments so far. Phil has done a superb job getting this club up and running. I'm quite happy working on my car in the garage or abusing it on track, but until the BKCC was formed, I missed the social side of kit car ownership. I really enjoy admiring kit cars over a pint and the breakfast runs are a great success too. I've already met some great people and seen some lovely cars.

There doesn't seem too much wrong with the club as it is - 87 members in a relatively short time is pretty good going I reckon. The club is free and easy to join and there's no snobbery or politics or other such nonsense, just enthusiasts enjoying a common interest.

As has already been suggested, we could try meeting at different  places around Bristol and maybe even different days or times? A Locost owner near me hasn't been able to attend any meets so far, as he always has family commitments on a Sunday.

My back injury is healing well, so I should be able to attend November's meeting. 

See you all there!

Dave.

Richard

Glad that back is getting better Dave !
Don't rush it to heal.

Bulldog Bri

'The Gaffer'

Thanks for the comments Dave, and very glad to hear you are on the mend.

I had a bad back last week caused by my old freiend sciatica, yours must be quite serious and my thoughts are with you.

Meet places and times will be on the agenda for change :)

Look forward to seeing you soon mate.

gingerpaul

Quote from: dave_bence on 14, October, 2009, 03:46:18 PMThere doesn't seem too much wrong with the club as it is - 87 members in a relatively short time is pretty good going I reckon. The club is free and easy to join and there's no snobbery or politics or other such nonsense, just enthusiasts enjoying a common interest.

Yeah, except I hate people frm Pucklechurch. Nothing but trouble I hear.

;D

gingerpaul

Quote from: G & Toniq on 14, October, 2009, 10:27:40 PM
my old freiend sciatica, yours must be quite serious and my thoughts are with you.

I get that in my neck. I only really get it if I sneeze in an awkward position.   :-[

It first started when I was given a lift in the back of an old BMW E21 coupe with no head room and we went over a speed bump a bit fast. Crunch! For years I thought I kept pulling a muscle in my neck but after it happened one time too many I visited the doctor and he diagnosed it in about 30 seconds. I wished I'd gone in sooner because he told me what to do when I sneeze and it's not happened since. Woohoo.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: gingerpaul on 14, October, 2009, 11:46:20 PM

I get that in my neck. I only really get it if I sneeze in an awkward position.   :-[

I get it about twice a year as a rule, everything fine until I just twist awkwardly while carrying somthing. As soon as I feel the pain of a thousand needles and chuck in a red hot iron for good measure, I know I'm out of the frame for at least a week :o

Not nice is it.

I get the feeling that Daves problem is far more serious than ours though :(

Richard

sounds like we are a bunch of crocks !

All of you get better quickly !

David H

I also agree with plenty that has been said here re Phil's efforts and the BKCC.

A few months ago I was in my garage with a spanner doing the usual sunny saturday afternoon maintenance whn Phil popped his head round the corner and introduced himself. He had made such an effort to find me (having spotted the car e few times around the area) I had no choice but to have a look at the club. I have to say I'm impressed with the club and the site. The site has nothing that niggles me. Its user friendly and comfortable.

The site and the club has been good fun and i've met some decent folk with a healthy/unhealthy appetite for unusual/performance cars. The efforts that phil has put in are obvious to all but when I think about it properly, its a big undertaking and a job well done. There are clearly many man hours that go into organising this.

As we all get to know each other better and the various projects near completion with more starting over time, there will be a natural development of things such as information, ideas, banter and friends. We are all different and bring different things to the club, some more than others. Thats got to be ok. Some of us dont have time as we have busy schedules whilst others do. Some may want to just dip in and read but not post... that seems ok too as its not everyones cup of tea to join in.

I am keen on events. There's nothing quite like chatting cars over a drink outside a pub. Also I enjoy tracks days. I also love the idea of a trip abroad next year, the Le Mans classic would be good. However the roads would be murder at such an event I'm sure. If a load of us went over with tents or for hotels some organisation would be good as increased numbers of cars increases the chance of a disorganised nightmare. I snowboard and its the same with large groups as everyone has different plans.

We're not big enough to get track day discounts yet as there are only a few track goers on the forum but time will change that. That doesn't mean we cant go to track days though.

I for one am finding the Sunday evening meet hard to come to as its supposed to be my quiet time before the madness of a week at work. Its the only time I really get to spend with my partner. Maybe a week night and maybe a different venue nearer bristol. Its only a thought but i'll go with the masses.

Glad to hear your back is improving Dave

'The Gaffer'

Thanks for taking the time to respond with very kind and encouraging words Dave, I thank you :).

Meets will be looked at for next year.
By staggering days, locations and times, I hope to, with Bri's help, organise meets to suit almost every member in almost any location.

I also hope as members increase that a track day section will naturally evolve too :)

tickious

I did a few passenger laps at http://www.llandow.com/circuit.htm circuit earlier in the year before I got my K.C. For those of you who don't know it, it's one of the shortest tracks around and in the words of a famous meerkat it looks quite simples and a good place for novices like me to safely have a go for the first time at your own pace.
I'd be up for it next year some time. £80 and only about an hour away, sounds good to me. :D

p.s. top site Phil, can't fault it! ;)