News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Been away a while....

Started by YellaBelly, 19, April, 2017, 03:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Afternoon all. did not realise just how long since I visited the site! This last few months has gone at a fair pace. I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything of my old Locost since Chris sold her? (assuming she is still in one piece :)) )

Not sure whether I said last time I was on, but we decided at the back end of last year to move out to Portugal to be closer to the grandchildren who are growing fast! I have been working from home for a couple of years now, and as long as i have internet then where I live is irrelevant, so what better excuse to go to the sun  8) 8)

I won't be building anything car-like out there though as the rules make it as good as impossible to modify to any degree let alone build a kit car :(

Anyhow, we are planning on moving in June all being well as we've done the majority of work on the house so it is at least liveable.

I will be keeping in touch on here as much as possible in between building projects (construction type unfortunately! :()

All the best,
JB

benchmark51

Hiya, it has been a while. I haven't heard anything of Chris or your car, except the last I saw on a ebay ad. It was down toward the south coast, but nothing since.

I have another kit now. It's a Quantum 2+2, Fiesta xr2 based, doors, roof, heater ect. Got it as a winter/wet weather run about and it works very well. Still got Ratbag, although upgraded to 2L Pinto, fast road cam, twin 40's ect. I've had interest from potential buyers so may sell it, not in any rush though. Still got my petrol/gas powered Transit bus too, might move that on too although I would miss it especially the free road tax.

Hope the move goes well. It's a nice drive to Portugal, I'm envious. Dave

fullpint

Hi JB , bet you cant wait to move and enjoy some nice warmer weather.. As for a kit!! I have been kitless for a few months now :( Not sure if I will get another or buy an old classic british car!!!! .. Time will tell.. Hows that yellow spitfire doing?

YellaBelly

Sounds like you've been busy Dave! We were thinking about getting a camper of some sort for trips back to the UK, just can't afford anything after all the removals and building costs :(

We have to drive over really as we are taking the two Goldens we have and the older one is such a stressy girl I don't think she would cope with a crate on the ferry! So being the sops we are we opted to take the tunnel to Calais and then drive to Portugal. I reckon about 17hrs trip so we will make one or two overnight stops with wee stops in between for the girlies.

Can't wait now, although I'm not looking forward to the loooong drive.

Hi Steve. Suprised you are kitless, thought you'd always have one. We are selling the Midget as to get it registered over there will cost a fortune on top of the cost of actually getting it there! I have a couple of minor things to finish on the trim and polish the paintwork then sell her. No MOT but I'll probably get one done if I have time.

JB

benchmark51

What part of Portugal are you heading for? I didn't go into Portugal as I was headed for Madrid, but I went through Calais(ferry) and my first overnight stop in Abbeville. A nice campsite but at the end of a military airfield ::). Headed in the direction of Le Mans and kept to the west side through Bordeaux and on to San Sebastian. It was a lovely drive didn't rush, lots of stops with purfick weather. I would have taken longer but had an appointment in Madrid to go to. I'm a dog person and no way would I use a crate or cage, he comes with me or we don't go! ;D

My Transit bus is high top so can stand up in it, 2 'captains swivel seats up front. In the back I have made frames from box section for 2 bench seats that are 'bridged' to make a bed. Combined cooker hob and sink on a frame as well. Frames bolt in, so can easily remove and use as a van if needed. Side door has a 'stand alone' awning too. Hey up, I can feel a trip coming on now!! ;D ;D

YellaBelly

Hi Dave,

We have bought in a place called Algaca, near Vila Nova de Poiares. It's central Portugal, about 1:45 from Porto airport. Nearest big city is Coimbra which has everything we can need. Poiares has decent enough facilities including supermarket, builder's yard, restraunts etc. and is about 10 mins from us.

The dogs should be fine I'm sure, we will be more stressed about the trip than them I would think :)

We would love to get some sort of camper as it would be so much easier travelling with the dogs. We have bought another car cheap for now which has loads more room for the girls. Don't laugh, it's a Fiat Doblo!! Good job it isn't red otherwise I'd be known as Postman Pat :D. We got it for a good price, it's nearly as good on diesel as the new Qashqai we have at the minute and is nice and easy to drive. I changed the cam belt and water pump etc. along with the oil and filters so she should be OK for the trip. Not sure which route to take yet, I don't want to run up too much of a Toll bill!!

If ever you are over that way mate you will need to pop in for a stop-over ;)

JB

benchmark51

Looks a good spot. About as far south as Madrid, but closer to a sea breeze. ;)
I remember avoiding toll roads as I wasn't in a hurry and I think they can be expensive. The Transit isn't bad on petrol but is 40% cheaper on gas. Well if I do a trip that way I'd love to drop in. I drove up from Gibraltar, though Salamanca and so missed Portugal  :(.

fullpint

Trouble is JB this Focus RS is ticking all the boxes!! Quick, comfy and you stay nice and dry & warm hahaha, guess I'm getting old mate. I do look daily on EBay :) For kits or classic's :) :)

YellaBelly

Quote from: benchmark51 on 20, April, 2017, 06:32:44 PM
I remember avoiding toll roads as I wasn't in a hurry and I think they can be expensive. The Transit isn't bad on petrol but is 40% cheaper on gas. Well if I do a trip that way I'd love to drop in. I drove up from Gibraltar, though Salamanca and so missed Portugal  :(.

We love it around there, quiet enough for our tastes, not full of Expats, and the price we paid for the house would not even have got us a one-bedroomed flat over here!! It is around 55mins from Figueira da Foz which we've been to several times. Cracking beaches, and a great surfing beach too. All we have to do now is learn more of the lingo, we had to choose the country with one of the most difficult languages to learn :o

As far as the drive goes, we won't be in a rush as such, but don't want to be on the road too long because of the dogs, just be glad when we get there and settled ;)

YellaBelly

Quote from: fullpint on 20, April, 2017, 06:50:15 PM
Trouble is JB this Focus RS is ticking all the boxes!! Quick, comfy and you stay nice and dry & warm hahaha, guess I'm getting old mate. I do look daily on EBay :) For kits or classic's :) :)

Fair point Steve! You'd have to pay some serious money to get something as much fun as a Kit Car though ;) :D

benchmark51

Quote from: YellaBelly on 21, April, 2017, 10:27:41 AM
Quote from: benchmark51 on 20, April, 2017, 06:32:44 PM

We love it around there, quiet enough for our tastes, not full of Expats, and the price we paid for the house would not even have got us a one-bedroomed flat over here!! It is around 55mins from Figueira da Foz which we've been to several times. Cracking beaches, and a great surfing beach too. All we have to do now is learn more of the lingo, we had to choose the country with one of the most difficult languages to learn :o

As far as the drive goes, we won't be in a rush as such, but don't want to be on the road too long because of the dogs, just be glad when we get there and settled ;)

Hope your all safe, the fires are not that far away from you are they?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: benchmark51 on 20, June, 2017, 06:46:39 PM
Hope your all safe, the fires are not that far away from you are they?

I hope so too...

benchmark51

Anyone heard from yellabelly recently? I've been toying with doing what he's done and moving abroad and would be good to have any advice. Only contact I have is in Thailand and I'm not going there, they would eat my dog! lol

fullpint

May be Phil has his email is the records?? I will check my works mail. I have exchanged a couple with him, I think :)