+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Gel coat repair

Started by benchmark51, 07, July, 2017, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Don't know if it is possible, but I am going to have a go. I have a small amount of damage that I can repair ok but I am going to try and refinish it using gel coat rather than paint. ::) ;D

fullpint

Got to be worth ago ate. If it fails just buy a sticker :) :)

pompeyal

Rub back the damaged area, wipe over with acetone and paint on the gel coat, leave to set, rub back and polish....job done...

benchmark51

That's what I had in mind. The small area of damage is on the drivers door rear edge, so not obvious. On the bonnet there are 2 vents that were fitted on top the bonnet and riveted. I want to refit them making them flush with the surface of the bonnet. The gel coat I have ordered is 'Flocoat and is for brush application, used on boat repairs. It is BRG, just hope it is a reasonable match. :)

benchmark51

Got the vents in ok, but the gel coat is way too light  :(. I may have a go at tinting some gel coat myself as I don't really want to start using paint on small areas.

fullpint

Sure you will manage it mate.. :)  Are you popping along to Combe this Sunday? BMC family day event..

benchmark51

I've enquired about some gelcoat tinters, but not heard back yet. I may well pop up on Sunday, what time are you thinking of going?

fullpint

Should be just after 9am, got parade laps booked so I need to attend one of those briefings lol

benchmark51

Got the vents done and had a go at making my own gel coat, using tinter I bought on ebay. Colour not quite right but better.
before

after