Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

engine swap

Started by benchmark51, 17, May, 2016, 07:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

I had 3 tonic waters as well!

I have a light flywheel also. I don't have any clutch judder at all, but doubt that it is anything other than oil. Clutches can handle much more powerful engines ok.

Facial Hair Optional

You shudda put some Bombay Sapphire in those tonics to water them down you crazy fool!!  :o :P :P

benchmark51

I wish, no booze for a week. Not that that's unusual really.

benchmark51

Finished the anti-bi's now, normal service can be resumed!

Still have my doubts about Ratbags cooling. Will behave ok if kept below 50 mph, but heats to 100+ if booted. Wired the fan to a switch to keep it running all the time, but it only just copes. So I'm thinking of a 3 row ally radiator may do the job better. Have put a couple of louvre vents in the bonnet yesterday but haven't tried it yet.

Facial Hair Optional

You know what Ian would say mate - Evans Waterless Coolant!!!

benchmark51

Just ordered a 3 row ally rad. Core is same width, 3" taller and double the thickness. My fan will fit closer to the core so shouldn't lose so much 'blow' at the sides. Should be here on Thursday. :D

Facial Hair Optional

That'll look pretty damned smart too Dave  8)

benchmark51

Facial Hair Optional

I've never had a cooling issue with my pinto mate, the Tiger has never overheated not even in hot weather in a bad traffic jam last year. I wonder what the difference is then, air flow through the nosecone maybe?

benchmark51

I think the radiators are much the same, but I have a bigger fan that doesn't fit close to the core. The shroud is too big and fits against the upper and lower tanks, leaving a gap for air to escape at the sides and not pass through the core. Also the core is only 25mm thick. When measuring, I found an earth wire that had come loose and could have been giving intermittent fan operation :-X.

There was always a slight cooling problem even with the cross-flow engine and this one runs hotter. The new ally one is suppose to be 30 - 40 % more efficient, is slightly bigger (fan fits closer) and was only £56.

Facial Hair Optional

Good deal mate, let's hope it works. Off to Combe today, are you coming??

benchmark51

New rad performed well on the Sunday blat with no water loss at all. Temp was pretty normal, but did cheat a bit and let the fan run continuously. Have a 87- 82 deg switch on order, feel more comfortable with that range. Just checked the plugs colour and they are spot on, nice tan colour. Not run since Sunday, but started first turn this morning. All seems well now. :D

'The Gaffer'

Nice one Dave, looks like you might have a result there 8)

fullpint

All sorted Dave, nice one.. Whats next on the Hit-List :)

benchmark51

I'm thinking of wrapping the exhaust manifold and tidying the hoses under the bonnet, maybe a new header tank too. ;)

nojjer

I've just put a very similar rad on the tiger. Seems to work well

benchmark51

I'm looking at finding top and bottom hoses that fit better than the ones I have. Trouble is the local shops don't keep much stock any-more, need to see them to judge what you need. My fan switch arrived from aceparts.com today, trouble is the silly sods don't seem to know the difference between a fan switch and a oil pressure switch :-X. I moaned and they asked me to email the part number off the box, which I did, then they wanted a photo of it! Cancelled it, got refund, ordered elsewhere now.

fullpint

Which reminds me!!! I must wrap my exhaust as you said.. To help with my heat coming thru the into the cockpit area.. Need to locate some nice looking vents for the side of the body and may be the bonnet!!!

benchmark51

I think I will go for a black exhaust wrap, it will probably end up black eventually. There are vents on ebay but try looking up boat vents too, they do quite nice ones.

Checked my plugs after the run on Sunday, I reckon the jet sizes are about right now.

fullpint

Plugs looking good I reckon.. Will pop on flea-bay and check out boat vents :)

benchmark51

Got some exhaust wrap on yesterday, bloody itchy stuff that is! Started the engine and smoke from the exhaust wrap was mega  :o. Allowed it to cool down and ran it again through several heat cycles and it is calming down now.
Had a bit of paint left so painted the bonnet, looks better now but will flat it and give it another coat later.

fullpint

That's put me off now from doing mine :)

longtimecoming

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 24, July, 2016, 03:03:13 AM
I've never had a cooling issue with my pinto mate, the Tiger has never overheated not even in hot weather in a bad traffic jam last year. I wonder what the difference is then, air flow through the nosecone maybe?
I have found that a lot of air can bypass the Rad' if the sides are not sealed off, (as best you can).I have fitted a shroud over the Rad' forcing more air through the Rad'.

benchmark51

It does stop apparently, but then produces steam on rainy days if not covered. So if your engine bay isn't completely sealed from the cockpit it could be a problem.

benchmark51

Quote from: longtimecoming on 17, August, 2016, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 24, July, 2016, 03:03:13 AM
I have found that a lot of air can bypass the Rad' if the sides are not sealed off, (as best you can).I have fitted a shroud over the Rad' forcing more air through the Rad'.

I had that thought and have a 4" gap either side of the radiator, I may try a couple of plates to direct the air into the core.

Newbietoo

Gents,

I've been reading this thread with interest as I've got an overheating issue with my car, could I pick your brains?  Car is a VStorm with a bike engine (Aprilia V twin) which as you probably know is mid-mounted in one of these.  Problem I've got is the (standard) bike rad is hidden away under the rear bodywork with no direct air flow through it at all, nor even (as originally designed) any vents/ducts directing air to it.  What do you think is more important, size of the rad or trying to get an airflow through it?  I've considered trying to relocate the existing rad to one side of the car and cutting an air scoop into the panel, do you think this would work or should I look at increasing the size of the rad instead/as well?  I've got a KTM 1200 (also a V Twin but more horsepower than the car!) bike running a very similar engine, that too always runs at just under 100 degrees C but obviously that rad is stuck out in direct airflow, so I'm worried with the car always hovering just under (and occasionally over) that temperature I'm storing up problems, any thoughts?

Thanks Andy F 

benchmark51

Hi Andy, It's difficult to say with any certainty without seeing a few pictures. However I would think airflow is absolutely necessary for a radiator to work. Forward motion supplying airflow through the radiator and an electric fan, controlled by a temperature switch, when the vehicle is stationary. The fan more efficient when sucking air through radiator, rather than blowing. This is dependant on available space. Like I've said pictures would help. Dave

Newbietoo

Thanks Dave, I'll try and get some decent snaps of the set up over the weekend and post them next week.  Really appreciate your help, Andy F

damouk

You might find the side scoops from the subaru version will fit. Im guessing the center scoop is supposed to feed the rad on the bike version?

Newbietoo

Not on mine unfortunately, the top scoop just forces air down in to the air induction somewhat unnecessarily. Alternative side panels might be worth a shout though thanks, I'll have to contact the new manufacturers of the car, although when I spoke to them they weren't sure they were going to do anything for the bike engine versions at the moment which is a shame to my mind, not all of us could handle the power from the Scooby lump.  Loved the sound of the turbo kicking in and out when I test drove one a while ago though, you're a lucky man! 

damouk

I'm not so sure its lucky or not lol.. sounds a bit odd, could you not redirect the air flow to the radiator?

If not maybe have a chat with dan he has all the cad for the subaru version and i would imagine the bike version to so should be able to see if the subaru side pod is doable on yours. He's a nice chap i had a good chat with him at Stoneleigh.

If not then maybe you will have to fashion your own

Newbietoo

The rad is buried low down alongside the engine fairly tight up against the back of the nearside rear set moulding, looks like it's probably in the original position relative to the engine as in the bike donor, would be really tortuous to try and get any ducting to it to be honest.  Looks like I'll probably have to end up relocating it to a better position similar to the car engine version, sounds like a winter project...  Trouble is if I'm going to do that I might as well swap the whole set up for a 1200 V twin KTM which is sitting in the garage which I've had from new.  That puts out a little over 165BHP and was absolutely mental to ride before I had to give up two wheels, but I still hanker after being able to get back on it one day so don't really want to pull it apart just yet.

With hindsight I should have bought the Scoobybits Subaru-powered car Jason down in Redruth built for himself that was up for sale recently, don't know if you ever saw that one but it was an absolute beast!  Either that or speak to the new manufacturer and see if he would sell just the rear chassis kit and wishbones etc. to build up a car engine version for a swap over later, now that would be a winter project...

damouk

Relocating the rad should be fairly easy it will just be getting some air to it. It does make you wonder why someone would put the rad where it is. The bike engine car is quite a lot lighter than the subaru one so probably handles better. There is always an argument for and against.

Im sure dan would be able to supply a subaru engine cradle, although i know he has made improvements to the design so his and the sdr version isnt interchangable.

Do you have any pics of your car?

I think jason still has his car for sale. Its a similar spec to mine i believe.

Newbietoo

If yours is as good as Jasons you're a VERY lucky man and I am proper jealous!  Oddly enough I was working in Cornwall today so called in to Scooby Bits and had a look at a customers (car engine) version they have in the shop, the rad is so much better positioned in this than on mine but gives me an idea of how/where it should be.  I thought Jason had sold his but you're absolutely right it's still there (last time I spoke to him he was under spousal pressure for it to go as he wanted to replace it with another toy) but don't think I can justify having two of them though, although one bike engine and a second with the Subaru lump seems perfectly reasonable to me?  Mine is still hidden in Devon at the moment but hopefully next week I'm bringing it up closer to home and I'll try and take some photos then and upload them, you will then be able to appreciate/be horrified at just how daft the rad position is.

damouk

The rads seem to be in a good position but there isnt a great deal of flow out of the engine bay so we still have some issues especially with heat soak in slow moving traffic and the interwarmer on top of the engine. I would imagine the bike rad on the side would be more than enough to keep it cool. Where abouts are you btw? Im gloucester if tou fancy a drive when you have your car home

Newbietoo

Drive out would be really good, I'm not a million miles away as live in Yate but work across the South West so often have an excuse to be places I shouldn't!  As soon as car is moved back closer to home (next week now) I'll take some photos of the God awful rad position and post to see if you have any other ideas. 

damouk

Ahh thats good, I work in wotton under edge so pretty close. Fingers crossed we will have some reasonable weather to get out!

How far can you drive it before it gets to hot?

benchmark51

Not far from me, I'm in Warmley. I've had a few warm day runs over the last few days and the temp has stayed steady at 90c, even with a few 'naughty sprints' ;D.

damouk

Good one Dave, do you have the fan running constant or is it on the switch?

benchmark51

I used a temp switch, 97c - 92c first but swapped to a 87c - 82c and had a 'cheat ' manual switch just in case. The 'cheat' switch now gone as It is working well now. Main improvement was the 3 tube ally radiator (civic) located further forward allowing room for the rear mounted fan. :)