News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

My GKD Legend Kit Car Build - May 2009 until ...

Started by Richard, 17, May, 2009, 09:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

testingtesting

have you put your steering system together yet?  If so any pics?   ;)

Richard

Quote from: testingtesting on 11, April, 2010, 09:37:27 AM
have you put your steering system together yet?  If so any pics?   ;)

In pieces to go back and polish inside exhuast manifold, filling time waiting, was going to leave it a bit rough but should be able to polish it over next couple of evenings and then reassemble.

Can understand you asking a darn fiddle, which chassis do you have as new ones have an easier guide for alignment on it.

testingtesting

got a 6 chassis but the manual doesnt seem to make sense.... hoping to get some pics some how!!

Richard

Quote from: testingtesting on 11, April, 2010, 10:19:00 PM
got a 6 chassis but the manual doesnt seem to make sense.... hoping to get some pics some how!!

Will put it back together by Friday as have some time Wednesday eve to polish manifold, then I'll pic it for you. May alter the height a bit at some point, but not for now. Then will send Peter an instruction update.  ;)

testingtesting

Good man :D

Can I drop you a pm so you can email some pics direct?

Richard

rodgling

Or just post pics here, I'd certainly like to see how it's going, even if I haven't got stuck with my steering yet. Like you, I'm now stuck waiting for parts to arrive before I can progress any further. I suppose that means I'm making progress...

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: rodgling on 12, April, 2010, 10:53:18 PM
Or just post pics here, I'd certainly like to see how it's going, even if I haven't got stuck with my steering yet. Like you, I'm now stuck waiting for parts to arrive before I can progress any further. I suppose that means I'm making progress...

Yeah, get them pics up Rich :)

testingtesting

of course on here is fine,  its just if I get some direct I can enlarge them better for my dodgy eyesight!  :P

Marc_NL

Hey Guys,

Good to hear of progress here and there. Any online (b)logs with pics? I just returned from some trips and time might just be opening up to allow me to get on with the gathering of intelligence (in both aspects of the word :D) and preparations.

Keep them posts coming!

Richard

No wiring loom yet  >:(

Marc_NL

Richard, looking at your images it seems you are progressing well. And at this stage, you might just be able to answer a question I have.

Is it possible to route the exhaust through the tunnel? I am not really a sidepipe fan and at this moment I would prefer rear exhaust, M3 style. Just wondering...quite hard to judge by the photo, but it looks like there is some space overthere... Impossible to judge if it would clear the transmission...

Richard

Quote from: Marc_NL on 17, April, 2010, 04:21:13 PM
Richard, looking at your images it seems you are progressing well. And at this stage, you might just be able to answer a question I have.

Is it possible to route the exhaust through the tunnel? I am not really a sidepipe fan and at this moment I would prefer rear exhaust, M3 style. Just wondering...quite hard to judge by the photo, but it looks like there is some space overthere... Impossible to judge if it would clear the transmission...

Doubtful, easy enough to do a quick mock up try with other pipe of similar size to exhaust I have, will try and get to it this week, unlikely to be this weekend though.

Issue will be getting a route past transmission and keeping ground clearance, once at rear  options open up a bit but still going to be a tad tricky for box location/ angle. Instant reaction would be not without a few critical changes, the GKD Evolution still has exhaust on sides but enclosed, for you of course it would be your passenger's problem anyway  ;D

Hope your travels have been good again.

Marc_NL

Thanks, it would be great if you could give it a look / try !

The trips were great, been able to attach some two weeks of holiday to my South-Africa trip...Easily back in time before the soccer starts overthere  :P

Richard

Had a pipe fiddle earlier, upshot is that is not going to happen without going under chassis then you risk bottoming out on the 4 cyl chassis, now with the 6 cyl it rides higher for several reasons but mostly because of the height of the engine, this means it may work on 6 cyl model and not be lowest point, then it would be silencer location fun. Certainly able to reduce the sharp bends out quite nicely.

testingtesting

Hi Richard,  managed to make any more progress yet?  Can't be far away from IVA now ;D

Richard

OK a short update and then a few pics later in week when back to garage.

Most of wiring in place now.

Painting / sanding routine continues my education on painting.

Engine started with key in ignition and the fuel coming from the fuel tank, not first turn as a slight ignition wiring error, but quickly altered and noise was heard of a running engine.

Pics will follow and a more complete update.

'The Gaffer'

Richard

I owe a really big update here.

been a bit run ragged with everything going on.

current status is IVA forms off, paid for and test booked.

should have time next week to start catch-up on posts and pics..

Richard

IVA Number 1 has now been completed

You guessed it a fail on a short list of things i.e. < 1 page fully typed up with VOSA form headers.

2 items with fog light - I'd forgotten to wire the tell tale on the dash for it and the surface of the fog lamp was not vertical.

Bolts inside the wheel not covered, I thought this area was exempt but it seems another "grey area of interpretation".

Hand brake not enough spare travel.

Projection of edge of scuttle on top of side rail and nuts above not covered with IVA covers (although below scuttle they were).

and a couple of other easy alter items.

So quite a short list, fixes underway so hope to get a retest quite quickly.

The guy who did it was friendly and professional and quite pleased to see a non-Pinto powered toy.

I had an uneventful 60 odd mile round trip to do it, so the car had a bit of use for the first time not on the drive / garage.

Bulldog Bri

Sounds not to bad Rich, well done.

Could be getting mine set for IVA soon nice little policy maturing soon  :D (so any help please as I hate form filling)

8)

Richard

Quote from: bulldog bri on 21, July, 2010, 09:01:44 AM
Sounds not to bad Rich, well done.

Could be getting mine set for IVA soon nice little policy maturing soon  :D (so any help please as I hate form filling)

8)

Emailed you the forms part filled in for you. I did ask a few "what if" questions based on what I've seen of your car so will happily come up and walk around and see if we can get your list smaller than mine  ;D

'The Gaffer'

Well done Rich. We should be seeing you on the road soon :)

YellaBelly

Nice one Rich. Don't suppose you have any pictures of the area of the scuttle that failed?

JB

rodgling

Sounds like a reasonably good result - well done. Should go through with no problems once you get those sorted, fingers crossed.

Hairy Santa

Hi Rich,

Sound like you will be joining us on the road in the very near future

Well done that man

see you soon

Pete

hope the Australia connection is still there  :)

Richard

Pete,   yes Aussie connection still there, had a reassurance email couple of days ago, he's looking to see how he can make them for the future then will post on.

Will take a few pics and post some explanations up.  Will also do my IVA / DVLA process experience write-up sometime when done (have my usual notes on things as I go along ready todate).

Used up most of my car time this morning with Bri playing IVA inspector on his vehicles so ran out of car time for most of this weekend.   JB - if you'd like a look over before you go in for IVA I'd be happy to pop over and spend some time being picky  ;D.

Still a couple of fixes already done and in place so will book retest on Monday in their office hours. Have the registration paperwork nearly done so will be making a packed lunch and going for a DVLA office queue at some point soon I hope.

Bulldog Bri

Big thanks Rich for coming over this morning, it good to get someone elses opinion as they sometimes see stuff that you so easily over look as your looking at it so much.

Have started tidying up the wiring as suggested (and knew I had to do)  though not to such an extent.

Sorry I took up all your car play time though.

Cheers again

8)

Richard

Lots to catch up on so here is a very brief update.

Car painted.
COP conversion done.
IVA passed.

Registration not done yet.

'The Gaffer'

Looks great, like the colour.

Looking forward to a few more pics and words as well ;D

Denzle

Looks nice..... 8)

Can you show us a couple of full blown pics of the lump and the car.... ;)

Cheers....Denzle.

stupott901

looks great and the colour is cool as well so youll be out and about soon ?

Bulldog Bri

Looking really good there Rich, well done. Haven't moved at all on mine now for months, just can't find the time/money of late  :'( still also struggling on the Merlin and Gentry. Will get there one day though  ::)

Looking forward to seeing it for real

8)

Quarrycars

Great job Rich, really neat engine instalation.  Great write up too, I just went back and reread all 11 pages!
Re. the the COP conversion, I assume the engine originaly had a distributor, is the conversion an aftermarket kit?
Keep up the great work, cheerz, JT

peetee

David H

very tidy. looking forward to seeing it around

Richard

COP conversion:
A few observations.
This was a bit of story in its own, so will tell a few highlights and items for those that follow. Basic gist is now this has been made really simple as GKD will be offering COP conversion kits for the later M42 and therefore M44 BMW 4 cyl engines. (Don't tell anyone but this hadn't occured to him before)  ;)

The E30 318is has long had quite a fan base and several people have produced their own COP conversion plate for these models, same engine M42. Then in the E36 use of that engine BMW changed the wiring to make it less simple, this happened before my engine so I had the later wiring head scratching conundrum.

So, got hold of a machined plate for the earlier coil pack from an E30 enthusiast not far from me, there are several guys around the world where you can get them from, basically all pretty similar.
Of course as with so many BMW parts several other 6 cyl engines provide just the right parts for the COP part, so wiring was then the challenge.
It took Peter of GKD and I a little while to track the right connectors to make this work tidily, and while doing so he came up with a neater idea for the plate for this conversion so the connector became a simple unplug and replug/ locked into an extension to the plate and then connected to a made up mimi loom, all now very neat. Another little spacer search needed to get and keep right position.

Quite genuinely this was put together put on engine and ran first time really cleanly  ;D

So, now a GKD product offering that will work on the later M42 engines, and of course even simpler for the earlier ones still.

Will get a few pics when I get a chance but be a week. Tidies up the engine bay a bit and of course should be a bit improved as well.

Had the O2 sensor give up so a new one on the way now. But MOT done and within emissions as well, tyre change will be needed soon, although somewhat amusingly I have some Michelin ICE winter tyres that fit these wheels, just need some snow and ice now.

Still quite a list of jobs to do, no surprise eh  ;D

Quarrycars

OK, I hadn't realised that this was originally DI with remote coils (excuse my ignorance :-[)  I was wondering if someone did a distributor to COP conversion, but thinking about it that would be tricky as the pickup in a distributer doesn't 'know' which plug it is triggering as that's determined by the rotor.  With a DI system fireing cyl(s) are determined by the flywheel reluctor.