Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Tetbury Classic Car Show

Started by benchmark51, 24, August, 2014, 09:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

benchmark51

For those unable to do the Cornwall run :)

http://www.tetburyclassiccarshow.org/

Moleman

This was a good show last year.  :)

Pilgrim Anna

What time were people thinking of going? Im working in the evening. Might be able to make it till around 3ish. ::)

Moleman

Anyone up for this? who is not doing the Cornwall trip thats is. :D

Sumov8

Would have been interested but I am away for the week with the wife :-X

benchmark51

I'm up for it, can align with anyone else who wants to go. Not a million
miles away so a quickish trip there and back even if it's soggio! Events
are beginning to get thin on the ground it seems.

benchmark51

It says on the tetbury classic car site that it is on at 11am to 4pm, so who's going, at what time, meet up first?  ;D

Site map says we have a shared pitch? see plan below...

fullpint

Went to this last year. Was a great day and lots of really nice cars.. Depending upon family stuff I may sneak along  :D

benchmark51

Got there at about 10.45 and was fairly busy. I think the organisers were caught out by the numbers that turned up. The carefully marked out parking plan had to be adapted as even more turned up.
I got sandwiched between a Marcos and a Maserati and the day warmed up nicely. There was lots to see, my favourite of the day was a 1922 Stanley steamer! It's got what looks like a ruddy great tea urn under the bonnet (see pics) and when it moved it chuffed quietly like a train with a hissing steam valve venting
underneath. Definitely an event for next year.

'The Gaffer'

Nice pics. See what you mean about the tea urn ;D

Moleman

Iancider

I enjoyed the pics too Dave,

Regards
Ian

garry h

Looks like a good day good pics  :) :

Pilgrim Anna

Lovely pics! Shame we didn't make it.  :(

paintman

Looks like you had a good day.....great pics.

Can't think about winter yet....... depresses me!!! ::)

Smithy

Wotcher folks - I'm one of the lucky TCCS organisers - web site here:
http://www.tetburyclassiccarshow.org/
Would love to have more of you along next year. Can I hijack these photos please?
May I have permission to steal a couple?
I'd like them on the site, they're nicer than the ones I rushed round taking during "time off" from all the fun stuff I was doing.... (There were two Stanley Steamers parked next to each other, both owned by the same guy last year. Can you believe that? I certainly couldn't.)

Re: Dave's suspicion:
Quote from: benchmark51 on 07, September, 2014, 10:57:03 PM
Got there at about 10.45 and was fairly busy. I think the organisers were caught out by the numbers that turned up. The carefully marked out parking plan had to be adapted as even more turned up.
...first year we put the show on (2013) we couldn't get the field until 6:00 am of show day (Cricket club were in the way the day before and shouldn't have been) so we were on hands and knees marking out numbers on show day morning at sun up. Ridiculous. Result: Bedlam. Numbers were as expected though - about 450.

2014 - a new approach - two gates to the field were open and no numbers for the cars written on the field, just rows for clubs as you can see on the lovely plan above. (*Mine!*) Numbers were again as expected - about 550.
Result on the day though? Lots of clubs turned up en masse but didn't know their row and two clubs didn't turn up at all. We only had two people on the field. Wrong! Slightly less bedlam for a slightly shorter time then - but still less than ideal....
Next year will of course be perfect.
(Of course it will! Ha!)

Cash raised was £4,000 to the Allsorts children's charity, £1,200 to the People's Pod, £1,700 to the Dolphin's Hall Recreation Committee, £250 to the Model Railway Club and a £500 sum to the Tetbury Lions for their assistance and marshalling on the day, so we'll be trying to beat that next year - with your support?
Aye aye!
Smithy

Moleman

Hi there Smithy I will start a new thread on this one & put it in our calender  for  next year. You are welcome to put up the new details once I have done so or PM me any detail for it. I'm happy to help getting  our guys there closer to the time. Are you going to do club stands this year?
Colin.

benchmark51

I was parked between a Marcos and a Maserati, I saw the 2 steamers arrive. One was very good and the other was pristine. They 'chuffed' quietly like trains.

Iancider

Smithy,

Thanks for sharing that story - anybody who has organised anything will understand.  You get everything beautifully organised and then people get involved and mess it all up by being totally random.  But if you have a sense of humour you know you can look back on it and chuckle.

I couldn't come last year due to a competing event so I would be please to attend this year.  So set us a challenge to arrive in convoy in complete line-astern order to drive to exactly the right spot at the right time peeling off in a beautifully formed airobatic turn into our designated bays, numbers and details displayed, banner erected and all in under 5 minutes.  :P :D

Ian

Smithy

Thanks for the welcome you blokes!
Another long post here and I've discovered your emoticons. I promise not to keep taking up too much space...

Yes, arrangements are always a larf - and of course a lot of you know that from looking after your club; my sense of humour remains intact about the Tetbury car show I promise. I was even laughing when I had to bribe the delivery bloke £30 to come back and lift the generator off the football pitch for the unscheduled and unplanned kids game the afternoon before the show. The referee was a bit red-faced though - and some of those 8 year olds? You've never heard swearing like it...  ;D

Colin; a new thread? We'll be thoroughly spoiled. I have to get working on the web site for this year, soon, and the registration form. It's taken me two years to try and get one which generates a decent spreadsheet in the background (I haven't managed it yet) - I'll get to it very soon and you'll have all the detail I can chuck at you.
Goes without saying that without clubs like yourselves there would be no "exhibits" and nothing to come look at - so anything I can do I'll do. Within reason. (Moral and legal restraints, etc.)
Yes, you're very welcome to space for a club stand, we encourage 'em.

Dave; I still haven't stolen your pictures, but I am itching to! Please let me know. I don't mind a photo credit on our web site if you like - or a little mild bribery, such as you get your own space on the field next year. With flags. And the Mayor comes and shakes hands or something. :-*

Ian; I demand you fulfil that promise to arrive  in formation! It's a fine sight to have a parade into the ground. The Triumph boys managed it OK last year, assembling behind the local fire station before pulling in, but no-one jumped out and waved his arms ensuring everyone revv'ed up and then killed their engines at the same time, as I'd hoped. And there were no cheerleaders. (OK. Perhaps I expect too much.)

Last; we produced a "Show Magazine" last year, three of us on the committee wrote some stuff about our cars and reminisced in it a bit. We got some good advertisers too, then flogged off copies at the ground. We did OK out of it. 
What might be nice this year would be if I can persuade several of the attending clubs to submit articles about themselves and their cars - that'd be good. (I've just thought of that and it might be impossible to do, but I'll try anything once.)

Aye aye!

benchmark51

Feel free to use any of my pictures, I think I have about 20 from Tetbury 2014. :) :) Dave.

Smithy

Thanks Dave - marvellous.  ;D
Trying to arrange some filming for next years event. Would be nice to get some video for the site.  ;)

benchmark51

Ah, Iancider's your man for that. Our own Cecil B Demille or was it
Boris Karloff?  ;D ;D

Moleman

This was a few I did the year before.  :D

Smithy

Dave - is Ian a Director, or presenter?
(I just Googled Boris Karloff: no reason, but I did learn something. He was an Englishman named William Henry Pratt. Who knew? Makes him seem less frightening even in Frankenstein get-up, somehow. "Hello Pratt!" - but I digress, as ever.)

Have just hired Cotswold TV (colloquially known as "Hairy Feet Television") to cover another gig I'm involved in, the Wacky Races. (Footage on You Tube if you like soap box racing.) So that's done. Might get them for the car show too. But I know what I'm really after is an octo- or quadcopter to do some shots from the air with.
That would be amazin'. Top Gear! Camera follows the Bristol club parade into the show! Oh yes.

Thanks for those extra photos Colin. Blimey - so many nice cars I've missed seeing!
And look at those spaces on the field in 2013? I miss the good old days, ahhhh.....     ;D

Iancider

Okay, no lack of challenges there Smithy!

We will enter in tight line astern and peel off right into the bay.
Engines will be revved jointly then sequentially along the line like a Mexican Wave
We will all then rev to a crescendo and kill engines with a blast on the horns
At least one of our members will arrive with a showgirl with huge pompoms
We will rely on you for the fanfare followed by the Brass Band - Coldstream Guards possibly?
Quadcopter video - yep that's planned too.  [Replacing last year's Chinook]
And at two o'clock - is the Red Arrows display still on?
Oh yes, I nearly forgot the set-piece.  We will re-arrange the cars when we launch the 'copter - to spell BKCC visible from space!
Now that is showmanship ;D 8) :P

Smithy

Ian - you need to be seconded to our committee.  :D :D

Bulldog Bri

You can't have him :P he's ours ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'

Iancider

Well this idea has taken root now.

All we need is 23 cars, a Quadcopter and make a BKCC logo so large that it is visible from space!