News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New, to me, Westie... Needs some love

Started by foggy@smr, 16, August, 2015, 01:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nojjer

The boot cover looks great., will need to attempt something like this myself.
Gutted for you in regards to the gearbox, what options does this leave you with? source a new one or can it be a repair job?

foggy@smr

Quote from: nojjer on 12, May, 2016, 07:05:03 AM
The boot cover looks great., will need to attempt something like this myself.
Gutted for you in regards to the gearbox, what options does this leave you with? source a new one or can it be a repair job?

Happy with the boot lid, and bought some thumb screws to make removal easier when scrutineering at events..

Spoke to gearbox supplier again earlier, and they are supplying a courier to pick up box and get it too them for repair as he has spare casings...
He has said he will try to turn it around ASAP.

Looking sad for itself...

Iancider

Quotebought some thumb screws to make removal easier when scrutineering at events

Are the thumb-screws for the scrutineers? :o

sanzomat

Might as well attach the gearbox with thumbscrews it its going to go in and out that often :( Thinking about getting some for my engine mounts...

foggy@smr

Quote from: sanzomat on 12, May, 2016, 09:56:37 PM
Might as well attach the gearbox with thumbscrews it its going to go in and out that often :( Thinking about getting some for my engine mounts...

Hope that this is the last time! How its going at the mo, I will miss all the good weather  :P

Quote from: Iancider on 12, May, 2016, 09:54:22 PM
Quotebought some thumb screws to make removal easier when scrutineering at events

Are the thumb-screws for the scrutineers? :o

Sometimes you feel like you need them .. lol ... Have met the odd one that are awkward, but normally the guys are very helpful and are there to make sure that everyone is safe.

foggy@smr

Great news.....

Call from the Paul at First Motion....

Gearbox sorted and will be back Friday....

Water pump being done later as the engine is out, stick it all back together and get it back out on the road next week  :P  :P  :D

That means a sorry from me folks, as its going to rain from now on .... LOL

Iancider

QuoteThat means a sorry from me folks, as its going to rain from now on .... LOL

We covered that risk and had it rain for months so that it is all rained-out ready for you to get on the road!

Sunshine only from now on!

Could you Join us at the Riverside on 3rd June?  It would be good to see you there!

foggy@smr

Had a quick hour on the car earlier, so box refitted to block, and ready to put back in tomorrow...

Will look into the Riverside event, as need to get some road mileage on the thing... Also need to look into some trackdays to see how the thing drives.....

foggy@smr

FINALLY........

After 8 months of blood, sweat and loads of swearing the car hit the road ....  8)  8)

Found a few small issues, mainly that the fuel gauge don't work, not 100% sure the fan cuts in and a high level brake light is needed, as my bud following to make sure all was ok, says it needs it as its easy to miss the brake lights, even though they are bright....

Get a few miles on the clock to bed everything in and then start looking for trackdays to see how the thing goes....

Was surprised how laid back the driving position was, but after a couple of miles it felt really comfy and the gearbox is lovely. Really close on the change.

sanzomat

Looks great. Really glad its sorted now. Only thing is someone's nicked your steering wheel...

Iancider

Lovely job and well done - hope to see you at Classic Kit and retro Action day June 25th at Combe perhaps!  Or maybe sooner at the Riverside This Thursday?

foggy@smr

Hi all...

Been a long time since posting due to job issues.... Basically i didn't have one lol....

After getting the car finished and on the road, was told my job was ending, so car was left and job searching took priority.

Now I am working again, then back to the car...

Found after a couple of hundred miles, that its running very very rich and doing approx 10 mpg!

After some digging around took the car to Moseleys Rolling Road in deepest darkest south wales to get it sorted, as most people I spoke too wanted to know 'what were carbs'  :o

First power run showed that it was indeed running rich, and struggling. Lean on 1 + 3, rich on 2 + 4. Also that the carbs were out of balance. Happy with the 155 BHP though  :)
After a fiddle with the jets, balance and a tweek to fuel pressure regulator, a second run showed a much better curve of power and 165 BHP  :o

A full speed run was then suggested, so off she went.. 125 and still pulling in 4th, the rad cap let loose, so never got into 5th :(  Well impressed though ..

Car runs soooo much nicer now, so just booked first trackday at Llandow for 8th Oct to go see if can scare ourselves .....

benchmark51

Good luck with the new job, know what it's like without work. Retired now, never been so busy. All the stuff you were going to do if only you had time seems to multiply and it's non stop now!

I had a play with my carbs as it seemed a tad thirsty, put in 110 mains to see what would happen. Starts well, goes well up to 2/3 throttle and then dies. Put 120's in and all's well, starts and pulls well. Chickened out at 120 + mph as some numpty put a ruddy great round-a-bout in the road! The original mains were 125's and I had sooty plugs all the time. They are the correct colour now though. I have balanced the carbs using a set of 4 vacuum gauges on the vac ports (dellorto). Now if I want to save fuel, I need to discipline my right foot.

foggy@smr

Hi all.... New job is getting in the way of posting on here now ... lol  :P

Well managed to get a trackday in at Llandow circuit a few weeks ago, and was well impressed with the car straight out of the box...

A small water leak from the bottom rad hose caused a few issues early long, and the borrowed rad cap worked well, as the ordered one had not turned up....

Decided to take it steady for the first few laps, and then slowly build up the speed, as it was the first real test of the car.

After the first session of around 10 laps, decided that a slight brake adjustment was needed, so came in and put slightly more bias to the front. Much better, and the M1144's work well with the M16 calipers...

The R888R's have loads of grip, and felt that we never got to the point where their lost grip, but wasnt pushing too hard... Managed to do quite a bit of overtaking during the day, and def were no where near the slowest out there.

Managed to get approx 40 miles under our belts, when there was a whirring nose followed by a bang....  :o

Pulled over to the side, and slowly drove back to the pits. A quick look showed that something had come loose in the bell housing...

Chucked the thing back on the trailer and came away feeling that despite the damage, we had a lot more positives than negatives..

Engine and box have been taken out, and our initial thought that a clutch plate bolt had come out was wrong. It was a bell housing to gearbox bolt !!

Turns out that the rear gearbox mount, that we checked and thought was ok, had turned to jelly and was causing the box to twist and undoing the bolts.

Damage inside was a smashed pressure plate and a badly damaged bell housing.

A friend of ours has taken the task of repairing the bell housing, a new pressure plate has been ordered along with new bolts and mount...

Will let you all know how we get on...  ;D

benchmark51

Oh dear, that's a shame. Would have p'eed me right off! Thread lock and tab washers now?