News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Quantum lookover

Started by benchmark51, 12, January, 2017, 07:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Compiling a list of 'to do'. So far engine mounts u/s, battery cable clamps weedy, ign light diode sus', exhaust mounting rubbers perished, sun roof and rear light gaskets leak, door cards and carpet missing, electric windows slow, small chip in w/screen. Has new ally radiator, clean water, but no antifreeze, did that today! No doubt the list will grow ;)

'The Gaffer'

Theres always something to do with a kit car ;)

benchmark51

If there wasn't always something to do then we'd 'invent something'!

Changed the cambelt on the Quantum, found a small water leak that involved removing the inlet manifold for access. So stripped the weber and cleaned it, done gaskets ect. I also checked the ported vacuum switch, which I found to be working! Looked on Ebay for new delay valves, but not much about. Did find a pink one (colour coded) which if IIRC was the one used when unleaded petrol first came out. Have other things on order plugs, coil, leads ect.

Ratbag is getting an electric fuel pump as the fuel seems to drain back and means a lot of cranking to start it up if left more than 2 days.

Me? I'm getting sod all, so treat myself to a nice curry tonight! ;)

fullpint

Curry, nice.. I'm treating the wife to a Chinese take-a-way :) After all it is her birthday hehehe.. Oh yes I know how to treat a lady :) :)

benchmark51

You might appreciate this, seen on FB. Be careful :o ;D

Martyn forgot to get a Chistmas Present, His Partner went wild !!!!!!
She told him " Tomorrow morning I expect to find a Gift on the drive that goes 0 to 200 in 6 seconds
AND IT BETTER BE THERE" !!!!!!!
The next morning when she woke up , She looked out of the window to find a box gift wrapped in the middle of the drive ?
She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale ......
Martyn has been missing since Friday ?????

benchmark51

Got the 'Q' back together today, new hoses, plugs, leads, coil. Started up no problem and much better response from the mixture/idle screws. Went out for a ride and it's no racer but is warm and dry(ish).
Sunroof needs out and fixing or removing altogether.

Might think about a different engine for it. Zetec, RS turbo, Puma even diesel have been done. Have to remember it's twice the weight of Ratbag, so may not do much in that direction.

Electric fuel pump for Ratbag has arrived, need to figure out where to mount it for the best. Any ideas?

fullpint

Warm and dryish sound just perfect to me :)

benchmark51

Replaced broken engine mount today, made a big difference to the ride and improved the gear changing too. Gave the timing and carb' a little tickle and it is going quite well now.
Found out it has a heated front screen and also found where the cd auto changer was stashed! Loaded the cassette with cd's and lo and behold it works fine.
Gave the sunroof a good clean around the rubbers and hardly leaks at all now. Have got a new set of exhaust mountings to go on next.
Also looking for seats too, it has Mitsubishi FTO seats in it at the mo', doesn't suit it though.

fullpint

WOW,,, heated screen, cd player, roof & wipers.. Sounds like a perfect daily runner Dave...

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: benchmark51 on 02, February, 2017, 03:41:13 PM
Replaced broken engine mount today, made a big difference to the ride and improved the gear changing too. Gave the timing and carb' a little tickle and it is going quite well now.
Found out it has a heated front screen and also found where the cd auto changer was stashed! Loaded the cassette with cd's and lo and behold it works fine.
Gave the sunroof a good clean around the rubbers and hardly leaks at all now. Have got a new set of exhaust mountings to go on next.
Also looking for seats too, it has Mitsubishi FTO seats in it at the mo', doesn't suit it though.

Cant beat a few creature comforts ;D

benchmark51

Just been out and replaced the dodgy exhaust mounts. Bloody 'taters' out there, back in now with a big pasty and a mug of tea. yum :P

fullpint

Turn the heater up then hahahaha,, tis very nippy out, so glad I don't had a kitcar to use!!!! :( :(

benchmark51

I have cut some carpet tiles to replace the missing carpet, feels a lot better than bare fibreglass, looks a treat and can easily be renewed as necc'. I have bought a set of fiesta seats that are like new to replace the FTO seats. All the runners, trim, headrest, seat belt are present too. Not bad for a tenner! need to make door cards next.

Still running well and can really feel the second choke kick in when I boot it. Nice and economical when driven normally though.

benchmark51

I have fitted the fiesta seats and they make a big difference. Feels like much more room inside now and I can see much more out the back window. However they are a tad too high on the standard mounts so taking them out to put lower mounts in.

Have got some ally on the way to make some gutters above the side windows as too much water pouring down the windows and in the car. Door seal are ok but some numpty cut them too short :-X,  leaving gaps.

fullpint

By the time summer comes then it will be water tight :)