Started by 'The Gaffer', 11, November, 2014, 08:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

'The Gaffer'

From CKC...

CKC/Omex Track Day 2015

Date announced

Sat May 16th 2015
As someone who has previously been on, or expressed an interest in a CKC/Omex Track Day, we thought you'd like to be the first to know that we have confirmed a date for 2015. We will be returning to Llandow circuit on Saturday 16th May.

As before, the day is only open to kit cars, and we do not allow slicks and wings.
You can book and pay for your day via the CKC website. Just follow the link HERE.

Price has once again been held at just £95 for car and driver, or just £75 for CKC Subs Club member - to qualify for the discount, you must be a subscriber at the time of booking, and on the day of the track day - you can renew at any point in between the two dates. A second driver is just £20. You can book any and all of these options online or phone Ian Stent on 01823 617908.

But be quick, as places are strictly limited!

We hope to see you there.

Iancider

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that - will book tomorrow for me and Crash Test Dummy.

Regards
Ian

CC Cyclone

I'm in, hopefully with a Cyclone that stops a bit better...

Moleman

Iancider

QuoteNo Surprises I will be there.  8)

Bring some spare cycle wings Col!  ;D

benchmark51

Quote from: Iancider on 14, November, 2014, 06:01:53 PM
QuoteNo Surprises I will be there.  8)

Bring some spare cycle wings Col!  ;D

You mean 'Coneman the barbarian' don't you?  :D :D :D

Moleman

I'm thinking of going down the cutting a larger size tyre in half to use as cycle wings for the day.  :P

'The Gaffer'

Iancider

QuoteI'm thinking of going down the cutting a larger size tyre in half to use as cycle wings for the day.

I like that.  Use some scrubbed-off slicks for a Crepe surface or something that sound similar!  ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Never done a track day before. Was going to book one at Castle Combe being as it's local to me and my car is new to me (no trailer either so would have to drive the car to the track) Sounds like I need to talk to some of you guys the next time I meet you first though.

I am at the limit of what I can safely do with my car on the road and feel I need either a large area of tarmac (airfield maybe, lol! Seriously, I need an airfield if anyone has one) to find out where the limit is with it. A track day may or may not be the place to do it though?? Currently the car is very quick (~500bhp/tonne) and my skills are no match for it so I need to learn somewhere, somehow without damaging myself, the car or heaven forbid anyone else, hence the public road is out really.

It also does not have IRS (Atlas/Capri LSD live axle) so on country lanes can be a little choppy, but it comes into it's own on nice smooth roads (it was built to track race at Castle Combe originally funnily enough) I plan to take it to Dave Gallop at Track Developments to get the suspension looked at and set up. He doen't know it yet but he's gonna see a face from his very long ago past (Club Lotus days)!! Roll on Spring  8) ;D

Iancider

FHO

Llandow is a good starter track and they offer a starter group so that the higher performers aren't initially mixing with the rookies.  In the afternoon it is a complete mix and open pit lane that works well.  No saloon cars to mix with too and that means you don't have to look out for the heavyweights sliding off.  You could also ride as pasenger if you want to get a feel for it first.

There are plenty of airfields too - not much chance of getting one to yourself though!

Regards
Ian

'The Gaffer'

Some blurb from Motorsport Events website about Hullavington airfield track days.

It is in very good condition and has lots of top quality tarmac. Our track layout has a great mix of corners, using the huge amount of space available and long straights with speeds well in excess of 100 mph possible in most cars. This is a fantastic airfield venue, not to be missed by any enthusiastic driver! New for 2009 at Hullavington we have created an area off the track where you can book time to get the feel of your car and practice your car control skills - this is not for performing donuts and drifting, more to be able to get a feel for the limit of your car in a totally relaxed environment and there is no extra charge for this!

Dont know if this info is outdated now but perhaps you could call them.

My first track day was at a CKC/ Omex day at Llandow. Bit apprehensive at first but you soon get used to it. An airfield day is even better as there is not much to hit.

Facial Hair Optional

'The Gaffer' and Iancider, thank you both very much, really helpful info as always from you two guys. I hope to meet you both at one of the meets sometime very soon.

BTW, were either of you at the Summer Classic event earlier this year (Easter Compton I think) with Moleman? I was there so may have already kinda met.

Cheers

Moleman

From about March I'm always looking to see when my next track day to start the year will be. We did a air field at the start of last year & I'm thinking of doing the same next year but perhaps a different one too this year.
So watch this space as there will be plenty of them next year.  8)

That said Llandow was my first track day a few years back & it is a good one to start with.  :)

CC Cyclone

Giva Llandow a go. It is all kit-cars and so a relaxed bunch and atmosphere. My Cyclone was hampered by a sticking brake caliper this year which caused some severe early braking on circuit and probably held a few people up but no-one moaned about it. The thing about a well run track day is that everyone learns within a few laps the relative speed of the surrounding cars and the slower guys move over and the faster guys keep a relative distance until it's safe to pass.

Iancider

QuoteBTW, were either of you at the Summer Classic event earlier this year (Easter Compton I think) with Moleman? I was there so may have already kinda met.

Yep we did meet - your memory is correct

Ian

Moleman

I have booked this one today, Did anyone else book it in the end?  :D

Lucky Ed

I wish I could make this one, but weekends in May are a no-no for me :(

Colin - you'll have to take the bad luck for me on this one again ;D ;D ;D

Iancider

Yep,

Crash Test Dummy is in again and I will bringing another driver too.

Plenty of room for spectators and passengers if you don't want to drive!

Moleman

That's a shame Ed that's why I got it last year.

I know it's early but so far we have moleman
                                                    Iancider
                                                    Crash Test Dummy

CC Cyclone

I'm in Colin. I will have brakes this year too, so hopefully will be able to up the pace a bit on last year!

'The Gaffer'

Moleman

Iancider
                                                    Crash Test Dummy
                                                    CC Cyclone
                                                    The Gaffer
                                                    ?
This is a great venue for all track day nuts & people who would like to do one but is not sure how to go about it.
We will be happy to help anyone who would like to do a track day who hasn't done one before, from answering any questions you may have to showing you the ropes & taking you around the track to give some advise on how to get the best out of your car on this circuit.

Or if you just want to show up & get a passenger ride around the circuit we can do that too.  8)

What do you think guys?  ;D

mr tone

Yes booked for this . Also MSE on 17 April Tony

SPAXIMUS

Moleman

Iancider
                                                    Crash Test Dummy
                                                    CC Cyclone
                                                    The Gaffer
                                                    Mr Tone
                                                    Spaximus
                                                    ?
This is a great venue for all track day nuts & people who would like to do one but is not sure how to go about it.
We will be happy to help anyone who would like to do a track day who hasn't done one before, from answering any questions you may have to showing you the ropes & taking you around the track to give some advise on how to get the best out of your car on this circuit.

Quantum owner

I be there with the exocet rude not to as its only half hour from me.

Iancider

QuoteI be there with the exocet rude not to as its only half hour from me.

Oops you just answered the question I asked on the previous thread.  Looking forward to seeing you there!

Ian

Quantum owner

Well I should be all up and running with a few events under its belt running with the new engine and itbs. Will update with some pics when I get chance.

smudge

Hello again everyone!
I've managed to book in on this one and it will be my first track day, so any assistance or advice from you all would be very much appreciated.
I'm also bringing my mechanic and I've booked for him to drive as well, he hasn't even driven Bumble yet so that could be interesting!  The way I see it is "if he bends it he mends it" but fingers crossed  :o
I'm very much looking forward to a good day, it is long overdue!!
Smudge

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: smudge on 17, March, 2015, 01:19:11 PM
Hello again everyone!
I've managed to book in on this one and it will be my first track day, so any assistance or advice from you all would be very much appreciated.
I'm also bringing my mechanic and I've booked for him to drive as well, he hasn't even driven Bumble yet so that could be interesting!  The way I see it is "if he bends it he mends it" but fingers crossed  :o
I'm very much looking forward to a good day, it is long overdue!!
Smudge

This is quite a good guide from Javelin trackdays, although some info is specific to their days it still contains some useful info. http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4:faqs&Itemid=69

My best advice is make sure your brake fluid and pads are up to the job, you don't want to have to sit on the sidelines just because your brakes have faded due to boiling brake fluid or crap pads. Have fun 8)

Moleman

There will be plenty of us there to show you the ropes & answer any questions you have Smudge to help you have a really good day mate.  :D

Going so far we have moleman
                               Iancider
                               Crash Test Dummy
                               CC Cyclone
                               The Gaffer
                               Mr Tone
                               Spaximus
                               Smudge
                               Anymore?  8)

smudge

Just a quick note guys, when I booked last night there were only 5 places left, so if anyone else wants to get on this one they need to do it soon.

sanzomat

Shame I can't make this (I'll be travelling back from a trip to Rome so can't grumble though). There is a guy from the GTM owners club coming in is supercharged 2.0l Honda engined GTM Libra. Will be interesting to hear how that goes. It looks like he's the only GTMOC guy going so I told him you'd be friendly!

Moleman

Iancider

Smudge,

Looking forward to seeing the Aeon out on the track!

Ian

smudge

Ian
Me too!!
Here's hoping I can keep it on the track!!!  :o

Moleman

Not long now guys. Hope to see you all there first thing on the Saturday morning.

For though's of you who is not taking part feel free to come & see what it is all about & say hi. You may even get a passenger ride out of it if you are up for it?  :D

SPAXIMUS

I was at Llandow marshalling on a sprint yesterday, so for those who have never driven it before a word of caution. It looks simple but three top drivers went off at speed caught out by a bump after the top bend after the Bus Stop. There is hardly any run off there before the barrier bites you.

If anyone wants a chat before going out, I know Moleman has driven it as well as my self. There will be a convoy run as well but take it easy as you have all day to build up the speed.

Grip is good there even in the rain, and more importantly the food is good in the cafe

Iancider

LLANDOW

ANYBODY WHO IS NOT DRIVING THERE IS STILL TIME TO BE A PASSENGER - TODAY 16TH MAY UNTIL ABOUT 16:30

60 MILES FROM BRISTOL CF71 7PB