News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Intro

Started by brainbug007, 12, August, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brainbug007

Hi everyone,

I came across your site while doing some digging on the net and decided to join. I live just outside Bristol and started more of a self build sports car following a book rather than a kitcar about 6 months ago. I'm working on a haynes roadster which is a 7 style car similar to Ron Champion's Locost but updated by Chris Gibbs to use a Ford Sierra Donor instead of Cortina and to correct some of the chassis design flaws in the Locost (see http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=40805&langId=-1) . So far I've managed to fabricate my chassis & suspension, get the wheels on, put the handbrake in to hold the car, and put the steering in. I've since got my engine in (1.8 CVH CFi) and bolted in after making custom engine mounts. Unfortunately I ran into space issues with the inlet manifold fowling on one of the engine bay braces so I'm currently in the process of doing a bike carb conversion on the engine so I'll be using zx6r carbs with TPS and running a megajolt instead of using the basic injection and ecu that was on the sierra donor I used. I'm hoping to have this stage of my build done in the next month so that I can move onto putting the full brake, electrics, and fuel systems in. I'm hoping to have it done & ready for IVA by the end of the year. Here's a picture of my car when I rolled it out the garage for the 1st time a few weeks ago  :D

Bryan

Daley Down Under

Bryan,

Welcome - looks like a bit of long term project but you're making great progress.  Keep us up to date with goings on

Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Hi there Bryan and a warm welcome to our club.

That's quite a project you have there and you seem to be making a great job of it so far.

brainbug007

I'm guessing no one else in the club is doing a haynes roadster? Might be worth adding a link to their forums on the site for others? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php). It's quite a cheap build at £3-5k for a car thats just as good if not better than a caterham.

Bulldog Bri

Welcome to the club and good luck with your build, I'm coming to the end of building the original Locost. so if you have any prob's I may be able to help. you'd be welcome to come over to check out mine, though as you say yours is the upgrade from the Locost.  ::)

8)

Moleman

Welcome, I'm a new member to & have met some of the members recently & I have found them a good bunch of people.  8)

paintman

Welcome Bryan.   Hope the build goes well for you.

Tony

YellaBelly

Welcome to the club. I am the same as Bulldog Bri, nearly at the end of a McSorley version of the Locost (+442) - mind you, I've been nearly at the end for months now! :(

Hope to see more pictures of your progress soon.

John (JB)

brainbug007

I know what you mean.I reckon I've got at least 6 months to finish the major stuff and then the same again probly to finish off all the minor bits to get it iva ready! I'll try and post some more pics soon once I've got the bike carb manifold done & fitted ;)

dave_bence

Hello and welcome Bryan ;D

Hairy Santa

Hi and welcome

got your work cut out there but all worth it in the end

Hope to meet you at one of the club meets